Non-gaming Apps

GPS obviously. A video player like VLC that can play virtually everything (is there a player out there that can play DVX, MKV, and Quicktime?). A sketch program would be fun, especially for Instant Messaging. Some sort of MS Word-like program. Scheduler.

A list:
  • Festival with a few high quality voices and a frontend (for reading when I would get carsick)
  • FBReader (for reading when I wouldn't get carsick)
  • wxMaxima (my CAS of choice)
  • Lyx (my math editor of choice)
  • ImageMagick (it's very versatile)
  • NmapFE (for legitimate uses, really!)
  • VNC client (for remote controlling my home PC)
  • OpenSSH (for running VNC through)
  • wxGlade (for fast GUI development)
  • wxPython (for using said fast GUI)
  • Kate (because Emacs and vi confuse and infuriate me)
  • User space Qemu for x86 (for those statically-linked command line tools provided by proprietary vendors)
  • MPD with a good frontend (I loves me my searchable music database and universal format support)
  • Links2 (works as a good one-handed web browser)
  • Kismet (when I just need an Internet connection)
  • gqview ("Let me show you where I went on vacation. Here's a field obscured by a tree, and here's a house obscured by a tree...")
  • The Windows version of 7zip (this is also on my list of apps I want ported to Linux in general)
I'll have to remember this list when I get a Pandora.

I would really like a program that convert wifi protocol into Bluetooth protocol.

I don't have bluetooth on my computer and I would like to connect it on my cell phone to go on the internet when I'm on the road. I could use my pandora to take the connection from the cellphone via bluetooth and transmit it to my computer on wifi!

This is assuming bluetooth can be activated at the same time as wifi on the pandora!

Oh and Xlink Kai could be nice also, I wouldn't have to have my computer on the table while I play on my xbox. A smal UMPC would be awesome!

VLC/mplayer for general media needs

a comic book archive reader (I tend to archive webcomics that either have gone defunct, ala radioactive panda, or have sepirate 'books', ala WTF)

+1 to adding a 7zip compatible program

general word processing and productivity stuffs.

Telnet/MU app (I'm addicted to mushs/muds/etc and the pandora would be awsome in this reguard)

inkscape would be neat, or failing that gimp (though if at all possible could somebody PLEASE clean up the interface? I've always hated how gimp 'feels').

IRC/IM multiclient is kindof a 'duh' at this point

A jukebox app, or at least something like xmms for a lightwieght audio player

edit:

Forgot about things like a 'big number' alarm clock, and a scientfic calculator app would indeed sell systems, as I know people who need both a calculator and a note taking device that would be served by this.

An MP3/Jukebox app that understands the "artist / album / track.mp3" folder naming convention rather than relying on id3 tags

psyko_chewbacca said:
I don't have bluetooth on my computer and I would like to connect it on my cell phone to go on the internet when I'm on the road. I could use my pandora to take the connection from the cellphone via bluetooth and transmit it to my computer on wifi!
Woah... that is... needlessly complex. Yeah, in theory you could setup your phone as a bluetooth modem, create a gateway on the Pandora, and perform a wireless ad-hoc connection from laptop to it.
Personally, I'd just spend the $15 and buy a bluetooth adapter, if that's your goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some kind of CAD program would be nice, whether it be 3D or 2D. Maybe some kind of chemical reaction simulator, too?

Don Patch said:
Some kind of CAD program would be nice, whether it be 3D or 2D. Maybe some kind of chemical reaction simulator, too?
Can you get the CAD accuracy on 800*480 pixels or 4.3" screen (without going blind or mad)? Unless you're thinking of some simple layouts.

I would really like to see the Vodafone Mobile Connect driver for ARM/Pandora. This is a tool for getting the USB Huawei modems setup and connected to the Internet. I see myself with the Pandora in the train doing all kinds of stuff while connected to the Internet IM'ing my friends over my little Huawei modem. This is a must, i think it is possible to set this all up manually, but a port of VMC I think is a very good thing.

I want the StreamMyGame guys to make a port for Pandora. Would pay twenty bucks for that. Seriously, Half-Life 2 on a handheld.

Someone mentioned imagemagick...
I'll add
* ufraw (a port would be nice; but too few people would use that, so I'll just have to live with it running on ARM core, without any help from DSP.
* gimp (stripped-down - maybe add a simple script that allows to choose which plugins to keep)
* GREYCSTORATION (very long processing, though - will use a more primitive noise removal algorithm most of the time)
(+ a few custom scripts, for more automated processing, displaying a dialog only for final level adjustments)
Image processing on-the-go :p

Other things:
XAWTV (for my usb tv tuner)
Audio recording tool
GCC & co. - because I don't like cross-compiling.
Standard linux tools

Of course, web browsing (links2 and firefox), e-mail, office (abiword, etc.; openoffice is probably too much for 128MB RAM.)

Hello all,

Just out of curiosity... but what about WINE? I imagine trying to run something like a full blown VMWare or VirtualBox on this thing is NOT going to happen, buuuuut, WINE though? Just a thought, since there's a couple of random Windows apps I wouldn't mind having on the go ;)
Although I imagine it'd be a good idea to get some of this stuff ported on a SD/SDHC card that won't be swapped out much

Pandora's Lox said:
Hello all,

Just out of curiosity... but what about WINE? I imagine trying to run something like a full blown VMWare or VirtualBox on this thing is NOT going to happen, buuuuut, WINE though? Just a thought, since there's a couple of random Windows apps I wouldn't mind having on the go ;)
Although I imagine it'd be a good idea to get some of this stuff ported on a SD/SDHC card that won't be swapped out much
Wine Is Not an Emulator.
It virtualizes. You can't virtualize an x86 OS on ARM.

Pandora's Lox said:
Hello all,

Wine Is Not an Emulator

Rather than acting as a full emulator, Wine implements a compatibility layer,
providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and processes to substitute for the Windows NT kernel.
aka only on x86
in the pandora is a ARM core so the answer is no

Aaack,

Thought with it not being a emulator it'd get around needing the x86!! :(

Never noticed that last bit of detail... bummer. Well moving on... how about Opera web browser ? Not sure if someone mentioned that one. Also, what would the feasibility of MySQL be? Just asking since Amarok would be a preferred music app and unless SQLLite will be the backend of that... also I'd also be one of the geeks interested in running a web app through whatever port of Apache is available (and I'm assuming PHP5 would also be included? :D )

Amarok 2.0 will use SQLite exclusively. It will also use QT4, so that makes it more portable. However, Amarok uses a lot of RAM and doesn't have the best interface for such a small device. MPD, along with a well made GUI, which, AFAIK, will be ported from the GP2X, will work fine.

Back