We Now Have The 1.4 Kernel Source Code

Awesome. :)
I wonder why this has gotten so little attention. It's a pretty big deal IMO.

This is peculiar. I would have expected so much mroe attention to be drawn to this part of the release... but no... only a 3 comment post... strange.

On a lighter note this is awsome that we finally have access to the source code for the kernel. Now we can start some community projects to start fixing some of the lesser quility functions in the GPH firmware.

I think I can change my sig now. Thankyou GPH for finally getting the idea.

timbobsteve posted on Feb 19 2006 at 03:21 AM said:
This is peculiar. I would have expected so much mroe attention to be drawn to this part of the release... but no... only a 3 comment post... strange.

On a lighter note this is awsome that we finally have access to the source code for the kernel. Now we can start some community projects to start fixing some of the lesser quility functions in the GPH firmware.

Well it has been talked about in so many other posts, there have been a lot of comments, just spread very thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
timbobsteve posted on Feb 18 2006 at 09:21 PM said:

Don't be too quick to change the sig. Don't forget, there's more software in there than just the Kernel that's under the GPL (Mplayer, boot loader, etc.)

And don't bother flaming me to "take what I can get" or "don't be so picky." I don't want to hear it. After the hell last time, they know what they have to do now, and I'm not going to give them a pass for doing less than the bare minimum required.

They're on the right track, I'll grant them that much. But only that much.

I can only find some stuff under the official FW 1.4 release thread... and even then its few and far between... I guess I just thought more ppl would flock to this post and start ranting and raving about how kool this is for the community. Anyways.. I am happy :D

timbobsteve posted on Feb 18 2006 at 07:21 PM said:

Perhaps it's because the title of the thread is about 'Sauce'.

Its because 99% of the annoying whiners dont have a clue what to do with it, there arent much cases where it is realy needed,
however look at what a great improvement thoddbot got by useing another fs, this would not have been possible without.

Vimacs posted on Feb 19 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
Its because 99% of the annoying whiners dont have a clue what to do with it, there arent much cases where it is realy needed,
however look at what a great improvement thoddbot got by useing another fs, this would not have been possible without.

So the provided source has been used to make a working kernel? Thats good news. Did he say how he went about it?

This has hardly been mentioned at all, so I thought I'd tell everyone.

WE HAVE SOURCE CODE

This isn't the full source yet, but it's a start, we still need the programs and sd drivers.
They've even given us a Subversion tree here. Which is better than just dumping the source somewhere.

There might not be much on here about it, but GPH's servers have certainly been hammered into submission :) The source code has been uploaded to gp2x.de, and torrents setup with the source too.

Just from the gp2x.de website alone (which is not the main advertised site), there has been 115 downloads so far. Combine the other mirrors and your probably talking over 500 downloads, so it's certainly not being ignored.

There was constant chatter about it yesterday in the dev irc channel.

It would only be decent /. material if what they released what an uncompilable heap of junk :) Stuff that actually works isn't worthy of a /.'ing ;)

Squidge posted on Feb 19 2006 at 08:25 AM said:
It would only be decent /. material if what they released what an uncompilable heap of junk :) Stuff that actually works isn't worthy of a /.'ing ;)

Nah, /. would have a field day saying the same thing I did (no Mplayer/uboot/etc... src) except they'd do it like a swarm of obnoxious 5 year olds. ;)

Just to hep the low activity in this thread... I'm very happy with the source release :)
I'm still waiting for U-boot and MPlayer. U-boot has the non GPLed SD code and MPlayer has the non GPLed DIVX code right?

Likewise. I spent the weekend jumping up and down in Stirling at the Scottish Open (very badly, I might add), and it's incredibly cool to see that this has finally turned up in the intervening days.

Not that I'm ever going to *use* the source, of course, but the mere fact that it has become finally available is a big step forward. Roll on community fixes (with a bit of luck).

5465756e posted on Feb 19 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
Just to hep the low activity in this thread... I'm very happy with the source release :)
I'm still waiting for U-boot and MPlayer. U-boot has the non GPLed SD code and MPlayer has the non GPLed DIVX code right?
I don't think mplayer would have any divx code in it seeing as theres hardware divx decoding

Back