We Now Have The 1.4 Kernel Source Code

There's no hardware DIVX decoding. That would be silly, as it would restrict the hardware to only certain codecs. Instead, it has hardware MPEG4 acceleration (ie. VLD/VLC, DCT/IDCT, Q/IQ, Prediction, etc), which means it can handle various codecs, including DIVX3.11/4/5 and WMV/etc.

This means file parsing has to be done before hand, so this is where the DIVX code comes in (and also means supporting more codecs is a software upgrade rather than a hardware one).

Some of the MPEG4 acceleration blocks can also be used to accelerate MPEG1 and MPEG2 decoding, as well as JPEG and H263 decoding.

It has been said also that some of the MPEG decoding hardware could accelerate 3D graphics too (I'm not exactly sure how, but they mentioned something about using the DCT/IDCT engine).

Squidge posted on Feb 19 2006 at 05:32 PM said:
There's no hardware DIVX decoding. That would be silly, as it would restrict the hardware to only certain codecs. Instead, it has hardware MPEG4 acceleration (ie. VLD/VLC, DCT/IDCT, Q/IQ, Prediction, etc), which means it can handle various codecs, including DIVX3.11/4/5 and WMV/etc.

This means file parsing has to be done before hand, so this is where the DIVX code comes in (and also means supporting more codecs is a software upgrade rather than a hardware one).

I still dont get this. DIVX, like all the mplayer codecs, lives completely seperately from the binary on my Linbox. Why would they even consider statically linking them instead? It can't be space. A negligible increase in speed of program startup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Disgusting the first thing that came to your mind?

I've seen this post for the last few days and thought it was about something kinky, 'Sauce'? I didn't want to hear about Muncher666 and his bottle of sauce. I thought it was about him gathering it, and it really grossed me out and there was no way I was going to read about it. Then I saw it had so many replies it couldn't be about that, if it was I'd imagine that it would be pushed to the bottom.

Anyway, this is great news and maybe the admins should consider changing the topic title?

Thanx,
Stan

Squidge posted on Feb 19 2006 at 10:32 PM said:

Some of the MPEG4 acceleration blocks can also be used to accelerate MPEG1 and MPEG2 decoding, as well as JPEG and H263 decoding.

It has been said also that some of the MPEG decoding hardware could accelerate 3D graphics too (I'm not exactly sure how, but they mentioned something about using the DCT/IDCT engine).
Ahhh, well you learn something new every day.

second exodous posted on Feb 19 2006 at 05:54 PM said:

I've seen this post for the last few days and thought it was about something kinky, 'Sauce'? I didn't want to hear about Muncher666 and his bottle of sauce. I thought it was about him gathering it, and it really grossed me out and there was no way I was going to read about it. Then I saw it had so many replies it couldn't be about that, if it was I'd imagine that it would be pushed to the bottom.

Anyway, this is great news and maybe the admins should consider changing the topic title?

Thanx,
Stan

Sauce is internet slang for source, but yeah it should be changed.

man i guess a lot of people have something against sauce. i personally love sauces and all condiments for that matter.

i think it's fine...if it wasn't about the gp2x then it would have gotten moved to off-topic. :)

you no like-a the sauce, eh?

edit: sorry about double post

GeminiDomino: Are you sure about that?

If you are refering to the "essential codecs package" that you can build mplayer with, those are binary codecs for x86 platforms that add support of closed formats(real, wmv, quicktime). And, they are not required to build mplayer.

Also, mplayer by default will uses ffmpeg/libavcodec to decode DivX and XviD video. And those will build into a single binary along with mplayer.

GeminiDomino posted on Feb 20 2006 at 09:39 AM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 19 2006 at 05:32 PM said:

I still dont get this. DIVX, like all the mplayer codecs, lives completely seperately from the binary on my Linbox. Why would they even consider statically linking them instead? It can't be space. A negligible increase in speed of program startup?

NickSpoon actually made the comment that if Gplayer is based on Mplayer, judging from the beta source it's been so hacked that it's barely the same player anymore - so it might not even BE mplayer.

Allan.

Is that suppoced to be a joke?

There are enough references to mplayer in the final binary that there is no way that it couldn't be mplayer.

Just open it with a hex editor and look, it is not that hard find references to mplayer.

Yup, I prefer a bottle of sauce anyday ;)

The code is also on the gp2x archive if you prefer to download a .tar.gz instead of checking a subversion tag.

They have now put authentication on the SVN repository. It is no longer accessible without a username and password. It was freely accessible earlier today, but now I tried it again and its not available to us any more.

Doh :)

They were probably afraid someone would check in a bunch of changes (fixes, or random evil) to them, not realizing they could have a read-only tree..

Welp, as long as something useful is out. Is it actually the 1.4 source? No SD driver? Thats a little odd.. but likely the real Liux one is better anyway? :p

jeff

I think they were using a proprietary SD driver anyway. I remember an earlier source thread from the last incomplete release where someone posted comments from the source indicating that some stuff was Dignsys' own proprietary code, even though they included it in with the rest of the code.

The authentication was always on the SVN repository, the just didn't apply it to that tag (which was read-only anyway as the current version is hidden away in another directory protected by username/password).

Maybe they've just seen the bandwidth reports for the few days that it was available to the public :)

Ah well, we have it now, and it's mirrored in a lot of places.

Skeezix: The Linux SD driver is included, even though it wasn't GPL. Most of the source changes seem to be to do with things that were missing from the previous source release, TV output, and removal of most of Dignsys's copyright notices which they placed over GPL code in the last release. You can actually take this version and compile your own working kernel with it.

second exodous posted on Feb 19 2006 at 04:54 PM said:

Thanx,
Stan

That seems a little harsh in retrospect, sorry, I had a fever and wasn't thinking straight. But am better now and didn't have any idea 'sauce' was slang for source.

Thanx,
Stan

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2006 at 04:56 AM said:
The authentication was always on the SVN repository, the just didn't apply it to that tag (which was read-only anyway as the current version is hidden away in another directory protected by username/password).

Maybe they've just seen the bandwidth reports for the few days that it was available to the public :)

Ah well, we have it now, and it's mirrored in a lot of places.

It would be preferable to get it straight out of the Subversion repository because then you can do all the sorts of things that are possible with a source-controlled working copy, such as reverting changes, diffs, updating to future tags without re-downloading everything while keeping all your local changes, etc.

It just seems typical of them to bait (making it available anonymously) and deny (later removing access). Bastards.

I thought the sdk2x people already had an SD driver, they were just working on the file systems, could be wrong.

Back