Wearable Project

mdklegin@gmail.com

Still Fresh
Hey folks,

Just got my Caanoo in the other day direct from hong kong via play-asia.com

Anyway, bought this beast so i could strip it down and shove the guts into a recast pipboy from the fallout 3 collectors edition pack.
My question is the proprietary connector looks like a samsung connector, are the pins the same for power could i get away with purchasing a dongle locally, and then doing my own tv out pins. With that said is their any pin outs for this connector easily available so i could rox this with my myvue shade 301? and any word if i could rock a mini usb keyboard?

I just purchased a RALINK mini wifi adapter by zonet but for some reason i dont think this particular chip version is liked by my firmware. its a RALink RT3370 and im rocking the 1.6.0 firmware on this caanoo. any sugestions?

industrialphreak said:
Hey folks,

Anyway, bought this beast so i could strip it down and shove the guts into a recast pipboy from the fallout 3 collectors edition pack.
My question is the proprietary connector looks like a samsung connector, are the pins the same for power could i get away with purchasing a dongle locally, and then doing my own tv out pins. With that said is their any pin outs for this connector easily available so i could rox this with my myvue shade 301? and any word if i could rock a mini usb keyboard?

I just purchased a RALINK mini wifi adapter by zonet but for some reason i dont think this particular chip version is liked by my firmware. its a RALink RT3370 and im rocking the 1.6.0 firmware on this caanoo. any sugestions?

You can use most Samsung/LG 24 pin connectors. They all have different plastic keyed tabs though, so you may need to trim or file them away. I'm sure somebody can link you to an exact match though. Just make sure to get one with all 24 pins populated, it'll make things much easier.

The pinout is mostly the same as the Wiz, the main difference being the audio out pins don't work (Wether they're not hooked up properly or just something fishy in the OS nobody knows yet) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47776-wiz-ext-pinout/page__st__15__p__933478&#entry933478 Just make sure to get your orientation right, it's really easy to get it wrong and then have to redo it from the other side.

USB keyboards should work, if the application supports them.

RT3370 won't work, it needs to be RT2870/3070 for out of the box function. Some people have managed to make it take some external realtek drivers though. We've had success with the Buffalo wli-uc-gnm on Firmware 1.6.0, but you may be able to use a cheaper one since size isn't as much of an issue here.

Keep us posted on your project, sounds fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
someoneElse said:
industrialphreak said:
Hey folks,

You can use most Samsung/LG 24 pin connectors. They all have different plastic keyed tabs though, so you may need to trim or file them away. I'm sure somebody can link you to an exact match though. Just make sure to get one with all 24 pins populated, it'll make things much easier.

The pinout is mostly the same as the Wiz, the main difference being the audio out pins don't work (Wether they're not hooked up properly or just something fishy in the OS nobody knows yet) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47776-wiz-ext-pinout/page__st__15__p__933478&#entry933478 Just make sure to get your orientation right, it's really easy to get it wrong and then have to redo it from the other side.

RT3370 won't work, it needs to be RT2870/3070 for out of the box function. Some people have managed to make it take some external realtek drivers though. We've had success with the Buffalo wli-uc-gnm on Firmware 1.6.0, but you may be able to use a cheaper one since size isn't as much of an issue here.

I think Com64 offered to assist on compiling a ARM driver for this chipset, i found and downloaded the source GNU source code from the make file in this archive it looks like all i have to do is change the "PLATFORM=PC" function to "PLATFORM=ARM" and hope/cross my fingers it compiles. I am running a rather older 9.04 ubuntu crunch bang distro so i cant sudo apt-get the ARM librarys from my understand do to cannocal no longer supporting or providing dl servers/repository server space.

:'(.....

Anyway i dont know if i want to pillage a pipboy or try to benheck something together, yeah i know i just dropped a name.

If we get the drivers going, whats all involved with patching the firmware/kernal? and how could i unbrick the caanoo if i end up bjorking it? would it be simple as desolding a flash and throwing it in a eepromer?
Too bad this forum not support image uploads like some of the ones such as motorbicycling.com. yep i am one of those motorized bike freaks...

You can use Samsung E810 or LG 8080 connectors, the pins are different but the connector is the same.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-retractable-data-cable-for-lg-8080-60cm-30593

I bought a pin connector from here:
http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/Cable,Compatible,for,LG,C1100,,C2200,,U8110,,G7050,,Samsung,E720,,E810,,Z500,24,Pin,Connector,9698.php?prod=9698

and I soldered in a TV-out wire. The connector fits like a glove and my TV-out cable works. This particular connector has every single pin, so you can make any type of cable out of it. :)

Take a look at the Wiz pin configuration for where to solder the wires, it's pretty much the same as the Caanoo's.

You can fix the banged UBUNTU inst. if you wish. It can be rescued; it's quite simple but I recommend you to read the WHOLE guide or it won't work. Here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Best

E

industrialphreak said:
someoneElse said:
industrialphreak said:
Hey folks,

I think Com64 offered to assist on compiling a ARM driver for this chipset, i found and downloaded the source GNU source code from the make file in this archive it looks like all i have to do is change the "PLATFORM=PC" function to "PLATFORM=ARM" and hope/cross my fingers it compiles. I am running a rather older 9.04 ubuntu crunch bang distro so i cant sudo apt-get the ARM librarys from my understand do to cannocal no longer supporting or providing dl servers/repository server space.

:'(.....

Anyway i dont know if i want to pillage a pipboy or try to benheck something together, yeah i know i just dropped a name.

If we get the drivers going, whats all involved with patching the firmware/kernal? and how could i unbrick the caanoo if i end up bjorking it? would it be simple as desolding a flash and throwing it in a eepromer?
Too bad this forum not support image uploads like some of the ones such as motorbicycling.com. yep i am one of those motorized bike freaks...

Back