Web Browser Flash Support?

Exoskull969

Still Fresh
Lets say I went over to kongregate.com and wanted to play a few web based flash games, is this possible with the pandora?
Or if I wanted to watch youtube videos.

Also, would I be able to run web based javascript games?

html5?

Javascript and HTML5 games should be OK.
Flash depends on the porting of software like Gnash, or the unlikely porting of Flash by Adobe.
You Probably wont be able to use HTML5 for video on sites like Youtube, which use proprietary codecs like h.264.

On day one, no flash. But there are at least a half-dozen browsers that will run on Pandora, many of which are directly from other OMAP3 devices that do have flash. One way or another, there will be a browser configuration with Flash that runs on Pandora, but don't expect it right away...and it might technically be illegal.

Just to get this out there, I saw in one of EvilDragon's videos that he had swfdec installed. So there may be limited flash support.

youtube most likely, but later flash games probably won't work well. If you want some comparisons install Gnash and use it instead of Adobe's driver. It works well, it just doesn't have all of the flash 8, 9 and 10 support. Youtube, however, runs very well.

Hehe, I was just thinking: Ipad OS on pandora, or vice versa (much better choice IMO)

borgqueenx said:
Adobe will only be happy with flash on another console so i dont think they'l cry if we put it on pandora on a illigal third party way.
Nokia will, if we use the plugin which they paid money to have developed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mention of HTML5 youtube being impossible is complete BS. Chromium will use ffmpeg which will likely compile for ARM, seeing as mplayer is built upon that, and has been seen to work on the Pandora, and the 360p quality will probably play fine.

Would be a big shame if YouTube won't be supported for a long time. YouTube itself is a major selling factor of many devices nowadays. Sure, Pandora has a niche audience currently but who knows what the future holds? I say the more mainstream features the better, too.

Mantis said:
Would be a big shame if YouTube won't be supported for a long time. YouTube itself is a major selling factor of many devices nowadays. Sure, Pandora has a niche audience currently but who knows what the future holds? I say the more mainstream features the better, too.
If nothing else, there are greasemonkey scripts which will play youtube in a native player rather than flash. Getting youtube will not be a long time, even if we never get flash.

Gnash works but is kind of slow, probably will be slow on the Pandora too.

For youtube videos, just go to tinyogg.com and convert it. The ogv files work fine, even on slow CPUs.

According to Adobe, Flash v10.1 will support ARM architectures (particularly cortex-A series).
There is currently a beta available, and it appears there are packages specifically for andriod.

Does all this not mean that it is very likely full 'proper' flash will soon be available for the Pandora?
What an I missing?

The Open Screen Project have been harping on about ARM for ages. By ARM they could really just mean something only distributable by Android vendors and in MeeGo, rather than a generally accessible binary.

Delay after delay as well. Hopefully soon though.

WombleGoneBad said:
According to Adobe, Flash v10.1 will support ARM architectures (particularly cortex-A series).
There is currently a beta available, and it appears there are packages specifically for andriod.

Does all this not mean that it is very likely full 'proper' flash will soon be available for the Pandora?
What an I missing?
Sounds interesting but i dont think flash would instantly work on pandora. What about the release date? What about ram use? What if its only....

There is flash for ARM arch. Just not Pandora. N900.

............................................______ __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

I just found it and wanted to use it somewhere..
Luckily enough - another flash thread!

Back