Web browsing on Pyra vs Modern smartphones

I wouldn't call installing a Debian package as destructive tinkering it can be uninstalled easily enough.
I agree. Installing malware like that is more like temporary damaging your device than destructive tinkering. Still, the Pyra as given is not to blame for that, either.

it's not going to go away for only a few handful of "Freedom" Zealots that shame people on Niche handheld computer forums.
No, but it is not going to stay for them, either. It stays for the people who pay for it. And shaming freedom "zealots" is not going to change that.

DRM is a part of how modern digital commerce works, like it or not,
False. If you do not like it then you can choose to not participate. And then your digital commerce does not work like that. I buy only DRM-free media and though the choice is more limited I do have exckusively DRM-free digital commerce just because I dislike DRM.

BTW I am not judging, I make compromises too. I still use non-free devices which I bought years ago (though I replace them with free devices when they break down) and even the Pyra is non-free in many regards. Still, that does not mean that I have to use DRM. I dislike DRM and refuse to support it and shaming me is not going to change that.

As lambda said nobody is telling others what to do. What I say is that DRM is just software intended to stop people from doing what they want with their computers. The only way DRM can do that is by getting full control of the machine. The only way that DRM can really get full control is that the machine ships with unremovable restrictions in place (like Intel, AMD and many ARM processors are sold). The Pyra is not currently sold so, and I don't want it to be ever sold so (this just means I won't buy it so, because I'm not the one selling Pyras). If Netflix, or some particular DRM service now works, it is simply because they want to lure users in and accept a weaker DRM that can be circumverted, and they are going to require stricter DRM later when they think their users are addicted enough (as netcat said).

So the problem is not that someone gives away their Pyra to Netflix or whatever. It's their Pyra and they can give it to a beggar on the street if they want. The problem is if they think doing so will make sure they can see Netflix. HBO, Disney, Netflix, Spotify and so on are companies that do change their policies at any time, and they can exclude any devices they want. In particular they are likely to eventually exclude devices they can't control, but they could also exclude older devices or restricted devices that happen to come from a brand that they don't have agreements with. It's their decision, not ED's, not the users'.

Having said that, as lambda hinted earlier, users can do what they want, but feeding abusive businesses does not come across as the most constructive decision, so they can do what they want but I don't have to like it.

I agree. Installing malware like that is more like temporary damaging your device than destructive tinkering. Still, the Pyra as given is not to blame for that, either.
Not necessarily. Theoretically a bad package could install firmware and fuse a key into the SOC that prevents installing again your free firmware.
Many SOCs support that, not sure the TI in the Pyra, I just guess so without knowing. But in principle they could brick a device or do what they please.
The only way to prevent that is to fuse your own key before malware does, but then you have to make sure you do it right, that you don't lose your keys, etc.
But this "attack" would be quite device specific, and most devices have a low enough security that other simpler, more generic attacks can be more tempting.

False. If you do not like it then you can choose to not participate. And then your digital commerce does not work like that. I buy only DRM-free media and though the choice is more limited I do have exckusively DRM-free digital commerce just because I dislike DRM.

BTW I am not judging, I make compromises too. I still use non-free devices which I bought years ago (though I replace them with free devices when they break down) and even the Pyra is non-free in many regards. Still, that does not mean that I have to use DRM. I dislike DRM and refuse to support it and shaming me is not going to change that.
I also don't use DRMed services, and try to replace hardware with more open devices, in as much as I can. And I also make compromises, including when I paid some $300 to magnatune for a life-long suscription. They don't even offer free music, just CC-BY-NC-SA or closedly licensed, but I ended up liking their catalogue, and they reject DRM, they simply state their terms and I respect them.

But freedome means also that you are free to use Closed Source or DRM Stuff..
Sure, I am in favour of people having the freedom to give up their own freedom. Of course, if this is the freedom that you value most then you are not very pro-freedom. After all, you want to get rid of your freedom.

Basically, the freedom to give up freedom is a double negative which just means slavery. Having the option to become a slave does increase your freedom but only if you do not use it. If you use it then it will decrease your freedom.

Wasnt the Pyra meant to be Opensource so the User can port the stuff he whants? But freedome means also that you are free to use Closed Source or DRM Stuff..
Free software, open source and DRM are all very different concepts, and in many cases entirely incompatible, so your notion of "choice" here isn't entirely accurate, I'm afraid.

Open source is about being able to see the source code. Free (as in freedom) software is about having the rights to, and being granted the opportunity to, exercise certain freedoms such as being able to read the source code, to modify the code, to run the modified code, and to share the code and any modifications made to it.

Open source is generally necessary but not sufficient for free software.

But when you are using Freedoom, Opensource etc Devices like the Pyra, there is also the Freedoom that you are allowed to use Closed Source, or Payed Services..

Most of us are also using Emulators, and i to have them Legal, you would have to Dump your own Cardridges which you bought years ago for the Console.. ..
The Emulators are Opensource, but the Games are Under Copyright Laws..

You guys literally come in a harass anyone that mentions DRM, so yeah you are essentially telling people what they should do. Let people use their devices as they wish.

I carry my Pyra as a EDC Handheld whit me, in the Leg Pocket of my Workspants, its survived the E-Bike Incident i have still issues from bending my Leg up..

And therefore its a Collectors Device, one of the first 40 existing Pyrae, unique due to the shape of the DPAD Hole ..

Still more exclusive than a Lamborghini Veyron ^^

You guys literally come in a harass anyone that mentions DRM, so yeah you are essentially telling people what they should do. Let people use their devices as they wish.
I think the issue is more about the development of DRM and proprietary software and them having close to zero interest in supporting Linux, let alone a niche subset.

It may well be nice to watch Netflix, for example, but without support, it's just not going to happen. There's simply no choice other than buying a different device.

I don't know which package he meant, but non-free is not Debian.
Yet the non-free repository is hosted by the official Debian server and affiliated mirrors, to enable it's documented in their official wiki and it's literally a check box on the installer now. The packages are likely also done by the Debian team members.

I love renting media and therefore DRM. It's better than the illusion of ownership, because all your CDs, DVDs, betamax tapes, etc. will inevitably malfunction.

Actually for me music streaming on super headphones via phone is one of the greatest breakthroughs of the internet age. For sure. No more dubbing cassettes, minidisks, mp3s.... That stuff sucks.

If you relish the challenge of getting DRM on your all singing all dancing Pyra, kudos. I'm gonna use mine for retro gaming and hacking.

I love renting media and therefore DRM. It's better than the illusion of ownership, because all your CDs, DVDs, betamax tapes, etc. will inevitably malfunction
Does anyone else remember LoveFilm, before Amazon bought them, and made it shit? I saw loads of obscure and cool films renting DVDs that way by post.

Used the Pyra this evening to write commends for a YouTube Livestream, it was 2 Hours, and the batterie was at the End at 15 %.
I had the Video only in Pause and on the second tabb Discord
I had to shutdown the Pyra a few minutes ago as it’s dit develop the Audio Issue ..
worked good, although Discord whit it’s 2 Bars might not fit that well in this tiny screen,
And it needs a lot more work on the Batterie Saving options ..
I watched the stream whit the Xbox

but without support, it's just not going to happen.
Like I said, with some tinkering it works on the Pyra, I even saw some Netflix but the machine is just to slow for it to be enjoyable. I only use Spotify on my Pyra right now and I love being able to.

The anti-DRM hypocrites club can continue downloading their "free" movies, mp3's and game roms for all I care. I'm pretty sure this so called purists aren't anywhere near as pure as they make out to be.
I'm no angel either though, I used to do stuff like that from like 30 years ago up to when Spotify and Netflix started their services...
Now I just pay for my and my families' media usage and software like the boring old man I am. I even bought an official windows 10 license for my daughter as she needed it for school... I know... blasphemy!

Now I just pay for my and my families' media usage and software like the boring old man I am.
To me this is missing the point. I pay for non-DRM books all the time while I refuse free (as in free of cost) DRM-encumbered media. The reason for me to avoid DRM has nothing to do with money.

As to purity, I think that no one here is pure. I still use Android (right now, even, due to certain issues) and WhatsApp, so I definitely do not claim to be pure. Even the Pyra is not purely free. I make no secret of the ways in which I support technological slavery. Like I said, people have the right to use their devices as they wish. For me that means a gradual switch to more freedom and no DRM right now. My personal preferences are not meant to be a prescription for anyone else and should not be taken as such. Nor should my particular distaste for DRM be taken as a claim that I am pure in any regard besides DRM. Nor should my personal preference and opinion regarding DRM be taken as a condemnation of the persons of those who use DRM. (Having said that, you are free to be swayed by my ramblings into joining the anti-DRM side if you do happen to experience the urge to do so.)

Anyway I get the hint, I will stay out of the next DRM discussion.

The anti-DRM hypocrites club can continue downloading their "free" movies, mp3's and game roms for all I care. I'm pretty sure this so called purists aren't anywhere near as pure as they make out to be.
I'm no angel either though, I used to do stuff like that from like 30 years ago up to when Spotify and Netflix started their services...
Now I just pay for my and my families' media usage and software like the boring old man I am. I even bought an official windows 10 license for my daughter as she needed it for school... I know... blasphemy!

Back