Website development

I can help build the website. I'm good with Twitter-Bootstrap (3) so responsive is no problem. Working with GitHub is fine too.

I'm playing around with knockout.js at the moment which could be a great solution for multiple languages so I can help with that too.

I can't design my way out of a paper bag so I'll leave that up to others.  :)

Let me know if I can be of any help!

I can help build the website. I'm good with Twitter-Bootstrap (3) so responsive is no problem. Working with GitHub is fine too.

I'm playing around with knockout.js at the moment which could be a great solution for multiple languages so I can help with that too.

I can't design my way out of a paper bag so I'll leave that up to others.  :)

Regarding knockout.js, I'm strongly against anything that makes Javascript a mandatory dependency for things that shouldn't need it, like displaying textual content (HTML) or showing/hiding a drop-down menu (CSS :hover).

In fact, when I hit a site that doesn't require something like the canvas tag or WebRTC and it fails to display sanely under the effects of NoScript, I automatically consider it written by people too incompetent to trust with my business.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't design my way out of a paper bag so I'll leave that up to others. :)

Regarding knockout.js, I'm strongly against anything that makes Javascript a mandatory dependency for things that shouldn't need it, like displaying textual content (HTML) or showing/hiding a drop-down menu (CSS :hover).

In fact, when I hit a site that doesn't require something like or WebRTC and it fails to display sanely under the effects of NoScript, I automatically consider it written by people too incompetent to trust with my business.
Same goes for Bootstrap then.

I disagree with you to a certain extent but that is for another thread so we keep this one clean for ED to pick a team.

I can't design my way out of a paper bag so I'll leave that up to others. :)

In fact, when I hit a site that doesn't require something like or WebRTC and it fails to display sanely under the effects of NoScript, I automatically consider it written by people too incompetent to trust with my business.
Same goes for Bootstrap then.

I disagree with you to a certain extent but that is for another thread so we keep this one clean for ED to pick a team.
Not quite. On a modern browser, the only function Bootstrap provides which shouldn't need Javascript but does is the dropdown menus.

Everything else is either justified in requiring it (eg. modals and popovers) or degrades gracefully (eg. tooltip.js)... and things like the modals can be trivially implemented so that the triggering button is an HTML A tag and the destination displays as a page of its own if it doesn't see the X-Requested-With header things like jQuery set when doing AJAX.

Sure, collapse can be done in pure HTML in Blink- and WebKit-based browsers using details/summary element pairs, but I don't hold it against bootstrap for being slow to redesign collapse.js as a compatibility fallback similar to their CSS transitions helper.

Sure, I remember seeing some demos of using tabindex on arbitrary elements to make them focusable and then using CSS :focus to implement a pure CSS tabbed pane, but that's not a general solution one can depend on.

All I can say is JavaScript is here to stay and unfortunately people that still care about things like no script are living in the past and are in the minority of web users.

^ Probably more of them than average in the crowd of nerdy Pyra customers though...

All I can say is JavaScript is here to stay and unfortunately people that still care about things like no script are living in the past and are in the minority of web users.
I agree that JS is here to stay... I'm just saying that we should be using the functionality the browser provides properly.

While there is overlap between them, it's still generally pretty easy to tell the difference between an interactive document (eg. a forum or wiki) and an in-browser application. For the latter, I have no problem whatsoever with using tons of Javascript-dependent functionality. For the former, I apply the "Progressive Enhancement" (A.K.A. Graceful Degradation) design philosophy as strictly as is feasible.

Not only does that generally make SEO and accessibility easier, declarative solutions using HTML and CSS give browser vendors more room to improve the performance and feature set of your code after the fact. (Try to think back to the days when Mozilla Suite first popularized tabbed browsing and Javascript on-hover handlers competed with Flash or Java applets for implementing fancy links. Middle-click didn't work on the applet-based buttons because they reinvented the concept of a hyperlink in opaque script.)

As for NoScript, yes, there is an initial breaking-in period while you're whitelisting sites like YouTube which depend on JS but, once you're past that, you rarely need to whitelist a site and it undeniably improves CPU efficiency and user experience... especially given that, until they finish with e10s, Firefox will continue to be one giant cooperative multitasking loop.

I am super busy and am not sure how much time I will have, but I will make time if you come up short on team members and really need more help. I have been building sites in html/css/Javascript/php/MySQL for a little more than 10 years. I don't use Javascript libraries, I write all my own code. I am not a great designer for visual flair, but am good at working with a designer to fine tune a layout for usability. I am not a fan of sites that rely heavily on hover techniques since that fails on touch devices.

Merged posts - Binky

Wooops, somehow got logged out. The last post was mine.

May be able to help out, but I haven't done web work in 4 years since going indie-game-dev but still have 8 years in corporate/public education/freelance interface/web/product/brand design under the belt. Used to write CMS/social network from scratch, but not presently interested in doing any of the code at this time but I like to think when I design templates, I do it with the coder in mind. Maybe I'll just suggestively shoop some tweaks/sections as progress is made.

Heyho!

First of all: Nice project! I'm a huge fan of open source projects so I'd love to provide some of my help here, too.

I'm a mobile/web developer here in Germany. my skills:

Litte exp:

- JQuerry

- JS

- CSS

- Megento 1.8

- Play

Medium exp:

- HTML

- Java

- SQL

High exp:

- Drupal 7

- PHP

- GIT

I'm quite good at writing code, but have a lack of design capabilities... so no design for me^^

If interested, send me a pm.

Well, I had more work than I originally though, so I didn't find the time to start on this until now.

I've setup a repo on github now and want to clone it regularly to my webserver so we can have a live-preview of the website :)

Anyone who wants to participate in development: Please send me your github account username so I can add you to the repo :)

You could also just link to the repo here and accept pull requests on github. It's git after all and not SVN/CVS where you need to give people write access to do anything. 

You could also just link to the repo here and accept pull requests on github. It's git after all and not SVN/CVS where you need to give people write access to do anything.
Well, but I won't have time to check the GIT regularly, so I'd be happy to have the core team push / pull without any manual interfering and other random people push things which need to be accepted.

Well, but I won't have time to check the GIT regularly, so I'd be happy to have the core team push / pull without any manual interfering and other random people push things which need to be accepted.
GitHub does allow you to grant other users developer privileges on your repositories... or, if you want to share full admin privileges, you could use GitHub's "create organization" feature, transfer ownership of the repo to the organization, and then add the other devs as co-admins.

Back