Weird Bug With Gp2xengine...

jimid2

Website
Visit site
I've been playing around with HU6280 and gp2xengine a bit, and I've noticed a curious bug in gp2xengine (1.3k5 on 2.0.0) - I'm able to replicate this bug at will in two games: Splatterhouse and Gate of Thunder. I know it doesn't manifest itself in Splatterhouse when played through the HU6280 emu. Basically, in the case of Splatterhouse, what happens is that after taking a hit, my "Jason" character will become invisible about 50% of the time - ie: he disappears entirely from the screen for just a few moments, perhaps as long as 2 or 3 seconds. This can be a little disorienting during boss battles or mob scenes to say the least. I prefer the gp2xengine emu over HU6280 for the superior audio, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this peculiar behaviour in the program. Perhaps I should upgrade to the 2.1.1 firmware? or is this a known issue with this emu that I'm not likely to "fix" by upgrading my firmware? Any ideas? clever guesses? cruel taunts? :blink:

jimid2 posted on Feb 9 2007 at 05:10 AM said:
I've been playing around with HU6280 and gp2xengine a bit, and I've noticed a curious bug in gp2xengine (1.3k5 on 2.0.0) - I'm able to replicate this bug at will in two games: Splatterhouse and Gate of Thunder. I know it doesn't manifest itself in Splatterhouse when played through the HU6280 emu. Basically, in the case of Splatterhouse, what happens is that after taking a hit, my "Jason" character will become invisible about 50% of the time - ie: he disappears entirely from the screen for just a few moments, perhaps as long as 2 or 3 seconds. This can be a little disorienting during boss battles or mob scenes to say the least. I prefer the gp2xengine emu over HU6280 for the superior audio, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this peculiar behaviour in the program. Perhaps I should upgrade to the 2.1.1 firmware? or is this a known issue with this emu that I'm not likely to "fix" by upgrading my firmware? Any ideas? clever guesses? cruel taunts? :blink:

Might be because it has a fixed frameskip of 1. I don't know those games, and don't know the proper behaviour in those situations, but if it involves flashing that should be it. In Out Run, when the road splits and you must choose a side, you can only see one of them on gp2xengine. So I doubt upgrading the firmware will solve anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metalbrain posted on Feb 9 2007 at 12:13 PM said:
Might be because it has a fixed frameskip of 1. I don't know those games, and don't know the proper behaviour in those situations, but if it involves flashing that should be it. In Out Run, when the road splits and you must choose a side, you can only see one of them on gp2xengine. So I doubt upgrading the firmware will solve anything.
This makes a lot of sense... The character does flash when hit in Splatterhouse. I'll pro'ly upgrade the firmware regardless, but I won't hold out much hope for a fix... I wonder if I can set the frameskip?

EDIT: I upgraded to 2.1.0 and the issue still exists - Metalbrain's theory seems the likely culprit... Luckily, Splatterhouse is fine in HU6280 - can't wait for the audio update! :)

I've actually been trying to get both emulators you mentioned to work to satisfaction. When I try Hu6280, it refuses to do much of anything(just a black screen), and when I try gp2xengine, the controls are not too my satisfaction and bonk's adventure refuses to boot. Any ideas how to fix these?

EDIT: And now I have hu6280 working, but I don't know what the numbers its config file uses for the control mapping mean and how to set it up how I want. Crap....

yalborap posted on Feb 13 2007 at 01:46 AM said:
And now I have hu6280 working, but I don't know what the numbers its config file uses for the control mapping mean and how to set it up how I want. Crap....
Since the hu6280.ini file uses the numbers 10 through 15 to represent all six buttons, and since BUTA and BUTB are defaulted to numbers 12 and 14 respectively, I think it would be a fairly easy process of elimination to figure out what maps where just by changing the numbers around and making notes of what does which... Or maybe I don't understand your problem? :unsure:

For gp2xengine, the only advice I can give is make sure you create a roms/pcengine directory at the root of the SD card and place your roms in there or the program won't find or recognize them...

yalborap posted on Feb 13 2007 at 03:03 AM said:
My problem is mainly that I am lazy. :p Do you happen to know what the numbers represent?
Sorry, no idea... I've been perfectly comfortable with the defaults so far...

Back