Weird instabilities

jontheramer

Still Fresh
Pandora set to 600 mhz, I tried to build cmake AND copy a 300 mb file at the same time; the Pandora always just goes black after 10 minutes and the only way to get it back is removing the battery.

If I do only 1 of the 2 (copying OR making), it goes black which switches off the network , so my SSH connections are gone and the making (or copying) stops until I get it back on.

The second point seems some kind of battery saving thing; how can I switch that off?

And the first is just weird (or not?); anyone know what that is?

Thanks

Disable screenblanking and try again?

Also remember, that the Pandora only has 256mb ram and building some big application and copying stuff etc. Is a bit much maybe. Especially with the bit unstable wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be related to pandora hang when screensaver kicks in that some others are also reporting. I've never been able to reproduce this issue, and when I try to ask for further details about the hang, people tend to disappear.

Could you describe in more detail what you are copying, which media from/to and what protocol? What is being built with cmake and where was cmake installed from?

The screensaver can be turned off with "xset s off", but it would be better if someone helped to reproduce and fix it, instead of turning off screensaver and moving on.

I'll see if I can stumble on the same issue with my unit. What would you like if I can have this happen?

What I did exactly was:

- using SCP to copy SuperZaxxonFinal.zip (as I now started doing things which might (and did :) make my device unusable)

- run ./bootstrap in the cmake source tree

Those at the same time make the device crash for me.

If I do one of them (doesn't matter which one), it doesn't crash but the network just disappears.

I now am going to reflash as I managed to make my device mostly unusable run opkg upgrade :)

I've also had my Pandora hang *often* ever since I flashed to Super Zaxxon Final.

I'm using one of the original CC 256mb Pandoras.

Typically I have swap enabled, Firefox open, two tabs, and either usb host enabled and tethered to my phone for internet, or I have wifi enabled and using my phone as a wifi hotspot.

Sometimes I also have uGet open and a couple of folders in Thunar.

I once had smplayer 2 open, but not playing anything and usb host enabled and connected to an external drive... I may or may not have had swap enabled at the time... If swap was on then I had been using Firefox previously and forgot to turn it off but I can't remember.

The hang happens when I leave my Pandora to go do something else... when I get back, usually about 20min later, either the screen is black and the unit is frozen, or the screen is lit, but everything is frozen. Only a hard reset gets me out of this.

Extremely annoying, and thankfully hasn't happened yet while in the middle of a download.

P.s. my swap file resides on a dedicated SD card in the right slot.

Yes, that exactly sounds like it: "when I get back, usually about 20min later, either the screen is black and the unit is frozen" => it's when you leave it unattended for a period of time. As long as I keep moving the mouse and keep 'doing' stuff MYSELF (so not processes like make running), I haven't seen it free yet (besides the occasional emulator glitch like Shadow of the Beast on UAE which freezes the entire unit).

Glad its not just me then

For me it happens when I overclock and leave the unit on and dont use it.

Just locks up.

Have you all tried disabling the screensaver?

Does that fix it?

If yet, we have at least an idea where to look (well, notaz, that is ;) )

I disabled it last time it worked, but my device is not working anymore now due to the opkg update :) I am trying to flash it but every time I download superzaxxon.zip it has a rootfs.img with md5 = 2180aa... while it should be cb6039... So obviously it refuses to install. The .zip is not corrupt and was downloaded from the main support firmware section. Is the wrong rootfs.md5 file included or is there something weird on my side?

4th time download:

$ md5 rootfs.img

MD5 (rootfs.img) = 2180aa90d82992ff52339fe9d9711205

Edit:

The md5 of the rootfs.img here http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199&Itemid=40&lang=en is definitely 2180aa90d82992ff52339fe9d9711205 and not the one in the rootfs.md5 file; I changed the file and installed; everything is working like a charm.

Yes, as stated in numerous posts, the md5 on the official rootfs is wrong right now. Ed needs to fix that.

So far as the instability goes; when screenblanking is disabled it seems stable :) But i'm hammering pretty hard now so updates will follow ;)

Back