... we're still alive!

On the OMAP5 Devboard I was quite comfortable running on a 16GB SD card. I know we could live on 4GB, dealing with Raspberry Pis and such, but it would be tight and induce a Pandora like storage situation. I had a good amount of programming/compiling utilities, Open Office and other handy libraries and such and used around 9 to 10GB... 16GB is perfectly fine, plus we have a ton of other storage solutions.
[doublepost=1459690364,1459690247][/doublepost]
The Pyra Nubs can click? Wow, I somehow missed that detail completely. o_O That feature indeed gives opportunities, no longer crappy and unprecise analog-nub moving for mouse clicking! :D
Well there is one caveat, they only click when they're centered.

Also, wasn't there talk of having eMMC storage options for the Pyra?

I know with the WIN , along with the 64GB base model, after it releases they are planning to also have a 128GB model.

I'm not saying the Pyra should have those storages, but I do think having storage options might be an idea

Last edited:
I would not go for less than 16GB.

For regular desktop Linux, I consider that to be even on the small side. Especially since we're not talking about a significantly higher price anyway.
The Pyra is going to be an expensive device no matter what you choose, I highly doubt 4~10 Euros extra will deter a lot of extra customers.

So long as there is no loss to speed, reliability, and battery life, bigger is probably better.

I would be fine with 16GB, but I think I'd prefer if 32 and 64GB options could be investigated as well.

We are already planning on this being a pretty expensive device. Even a 20 Euro shift in cost in order to expand the fastest storage option on the device seems reasonable to me.

16G is ok for me, as I have cheap fast MicroSD cards anyway.
It will also force dev to be more careful about storage usage....well, theoretically.
BTW, Will a built-in MicroSD benchmark stop ppl from using slow MicroSD cards?

The speed must not be ignored, between SD cards it varies like night and day. It will affect boot time, browsing and general responsiveness of the device. Slow storage is especially visible with apt-get, not sure if you care about that though.

True - but do you think there will be differences when using eMMC v5 on the OMAP5?
Any eMMC5 chip should be faster than what the OMAP5 can handle.

The chips we're currently looking at are:
4GB Hynix H26M31001HPR
8GB Hynix H26M41204HPR
16GB Hynix H26M52208FPR
[doublepost=1459694629,1459694490][/doublepost]
Does this also include the ABXY buttons? They still look quite sharp-edged there.

They are already more rounded than on the 3DS and almost the same as on the Pandora.
[doublepost=1459694695][/doublepost]
Also, wasn't there talk of having eMMC storage options for the Pyra?

I know with the WIN , along with the 64GB base model, after it releases they are planning to also have a 128GB model.

I'm not saying the Pyra should have those storages, but I do think having storage options might be an idea

Storage options work if you order at least 1600 per eMMC.
So if we produce a 128GB model, we need to sell at least 1600 of those.

16 GB would be OK for me, but I probably wouldn't need an additional SD card with 64GB, so I'd prefer that (or an even less likely 128 GB).
I completely agree with edgex400 here - the Pyra already has such a relatively high price, making it a little more expensive shouldn't be a problem.

This is a 32GB sk hynix part at 22 usd. That is 19 €.

If the volume deal isn't better than 7 € for half that, why cant there be more versions?

Edit: I'll gladly pay 7€ to scrap the 16GB part (or you can keep it as spare inventory)+ 1pc pricing for 64GB + what it costs to set up+a hefty markup.

This is a 32GB sk hynix part at 22 usd. That is 19 €.

If the volume deal isnt better than 7 € for half that, why cant there be more versions?

First: I would NEVER use AliExpress for any of that.
Even though they often write down "original" on the part, it's often a cheap knockoff, not stored properly or anything similar.
The original part comes on trays, sealed with 1600 pcs (which is the minimum order quantity).
If they sell single ones, they have open trays - and they need to be used up within 2 months then.

We don't want hundreds of broken CPU boards (which are pretty expensive!) to throw away simply because the eMMC is broken.
You should ALWAYS get these from the original manufacturer or an official distributor.

Fair point. What is the pricing for 32GB and 64GB from a reputable source?

Alibaba-equivalent pricing is 14$ for 16GB 22$ for 32GB and 27$ for 64GB. 12→19€→24€

Trying to find some benchmarks.

(edit3: The 32GB Asus transformer T200TA with what i think is sk hynix (atleast the 64 one is) gets

Sequential Read: 92.76 MB/s
512K Read: 84.35 MB/s
4K Read: 17.24 MB/s
4K QD32 Read: 35.13 MB/s

Sequential Write: 52.31 MB/s
512K Write: 25.22 MB/s
4K Write: 5.602 MB/s
4K QD32 Write: 5.763 MB/s
very fine numbers for eMMC

Update: 64GB one

seq read 90MB/s
512 84MB/s
4k 17MB/s
4kQD32 40.5MB/s

write seq 46MB/s
512 47MB/s
4k 4.5MB/s
4kQD32 6MB/s

Some gains for the 64 on the 512K writes 25 to 47MB/s and a 5MB/s on 4kQD32, the rest is very much the same.

Edit: Why pay for/look at the 5.1 H26M52208FPR when there is a (exact same?) 5.0 H26M52103FMR ?
Edit2: The 5.1 part is 0.8mm Z-axis. The 5.0 is 1.0mm.

Last edited:
On the OMAP5 Devboard I was quite comfortable running on a 16GB SD card. I know we could live on 4GB, dealing with Raspberry Pis and such, but it would be tight and induce a Pandora like storage situation. I had a good amount of programming/compiling utilities, Open Office and other handy libraries and such and used around 9 to 10GB... 16GB is perfectly fine, plus we have a ton of other storage solutions.
[doublepost=1459690364,1459690247][/doublepost] Well there is one caveat, they only click when they're centered.

It's a really bad thing to have to center the nubs to use the clicks, some more because it's the mouse click and that it's the thing you use the most, is there any way to change this?

16 gb sounds the perfect one for the emmc, with this size we would be able to put all the essential softwares on it.

I for one would be totally fine with 16gb of space. Sure, 32 would be nice but having dual SDXC cards kind of makes it a moot point to me. If it is possible to use both slots in a RAID-1 configuration i would be more than satisfied!

I'll be buying the Pyra with whatever size it comes. However, I would prefer a minimum of 16GB and ideally 32GB. Lesson from history is you can never have enough memory.
...me too. (16gb prefered, but I would take 32gb if available)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G901F mit Tapatalk

Another vote for 16GB minimum (although I would honestly prefer 32GB).

Rationale: I want the pyra primarily as a linux computer; as for me (retro-)gaming is only a plus. 16GB is certainly enough for a reasonable devel environment, but In this PC debian installation I have 15GB used in /... add to that an Android chroot somewhere so we can support Android apps using sfdroid (would need a patched kernel with binder, among other things) and 16GB is on the short side. Hence I would like to have 32GB :).

Back