Wesnoth Gameplay Experience

I've been using the free eBook reader. the gaming buttons really come in handy - dpad and the ABXY. I use to use my smart phone to read, and yes it was painful. Not so with my Pandy. :)

I love how I can close the program, do something else open up again and it's exactly where I left it. Plus, you can snap the lid shut and slip it in your pocket - easy and quick. I would have to say *EVEN MORE* convenient then lugging an actual paperback around with you.

Yes, you may get more screen real-estate with a tablet - but is it pocketable, and how many devices do you want to carry around with you?

Besides - you always have the option to change the font size and cram more on the screen. (but with the dpad you can scroll as you read)

It's perfectly comfortable for me though - I've plowed through a number of books already. In fact, I haven't picked up an actual book since I got my Pandora. ;)

Of course, don't take my word for it - test this out yourself... But don't buy a tablet or ebook reader until you've tried out your Panda. Then, if the experience is not up to your requirements and you're not satisfied, by all means spend more cash.

Hmm, fascinating. I've actually used fbreader before on Linux, maybe I'll give it a shot on the Pandora. And if ebook reading is sufficient on the Pandora, I might let the other thing go (I've been waiting about 14 months for the tablet thing -- looks like I've been waiting for the wrong thing, ha). How many devices do I need?

Thanks.

Hmm, fascinating. I've actually used fbreader before on Linux, maybe I'll give it a shot on the Pandora. And if ebook reading is sufficient on the Pandora, I might let the other thing go (I've been waiting about 14 months for the tablet thing -- looks like I've been waiting for the wrong thing, ha). How many devices do I need?

Thanks.

In the end there can be only one ;)

As I geek out.....Ever since the start of the Linux 2.6.x kernel, a swap file will give you equivalent performance as a swap partition, but with 200% less hassle (partition editing, etc. It's just a file).

Ha, to make a swap file, fire open a terminal and do the following....

<snip>
And I assume that this would work exactly the same for a USB if you were to replace your 'SDCardName' with the 'USBName'?

Yes, that's right. However it appears in /media is how you need to refer to it. You should be able to 'ls /media' to see the names of the currently connected (and mounted) devices.

To make set swap partitions up automatically, a line for them can be added to your /etc/fstab file which apparently looks like:

[swapfile name] swap swap defaults 0 0

Then, depending on how the OS is configured, it'll either enable this by default, or you can simply run 'swapon -a' and 'swapoff -a' as you want without having to remember the filename. I don't run any systems with any configured swap at the moment though, so I may be mistaken - but that's how I recall it working.

Yes, that's right. However it appears in /media is how you need to refer to it. You should be able to 'ls /media' to see the names of the currently connected (and mounted) devices.

To make set swap partitions up automatically, a line for them can be added to your /etc/fstab file which apparently looks like:

[swapfile name] swap swap defaults 0 0

Then, depending on how the OS is configured, it'll either enable this by default, or you can simply run 'swapon -a' and 'swapoff -a' as you want without having to remember the filename. I don't run any systems with any configured swap at the moment though, so I may be mistaken - but that's how I recall it working.

Yep, that's true. Also, if swap is defined in your /etc/fstab file, then it'll automatically be used when you boot your computer. Of course I'd advise some caution. /etc/fstab is read pretty early in the boot process of most boxes, so if the Pandora mounts the SD Card later in the boot process, /etc/fstab won't find the swap file (since it isn't there yet) and not use it. In that case, you'll want to use 'swapon -a' to use all defined swap files in /etc/fstab.

And of course, you can see if your box is successfully using swap with a 'free' command.

Question: what's the default 'swappiness' on the Pandora? A 'cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness' should return a value. My Ubuntu netbook has it set by default at 60, I don't know if the developers have changed that on the OS.

Back to Wesnoth, anyone figure out a way to right-click without using the nubs in game? Even back at the OS the whole tap-and-hold thing never worked for me (not responsive, might be screen sensitivity issue), and in this game it's a bit of a drag when recruiting units and doing things which require the menu.

Back to Wesnoth, anyone figure out a way to right-click without using the nubs in game? Even back at the OS the whole tap-and-hold thing never worked for me (not responsive, might be screen sensitivity issue), and in this game it's a bit of a drag when recruiting units and doing things which require the menu.
IIRC, to right-click with the stylus you can hold one of the (shoulder?) buttons while clicking.

Back