What About Torcs ?

metalhammer

Still Fresh
Hi Guys/Gals :)

surfing the web, looking for something open source nice to see on the Pandora, I encountered TORCS (The Open Racing Car Simulator).

Checking the requirements you can read the following:

"Recommended: 600MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, OpenGL 1.3 compatible graphics card with 64 MB RAM."

... so it looks feasible ;) plus, if you take into account that it uses GLUT and code is not optimized for a specific architecture, I'd say there's a big margin to turn this into something quite interesting for the Pandora :rolleyes: !

What do you think ?

Further info could be found here:

http://torcs.sourceforge.net/

It's funny, I just downloaded that for my Mac...
I think the Pandora could run it. Perhaps it could even be taken and upgraded into something more coplex... With online multiplayer... Global leaderboards.... Upgradable cars... That could be very, very cool.

Jourdy288 said:
...Perhaps it could even be taken and upgraded into something more coplex...

... this is exactly what I was thinking about ;) ... but I didn't dare to ask :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wizboy said:
if you take into account that it uses GLUT and code is not optimized for a specific architecture, I'd say there's a big margin to turn this into something quite interesting for the Pandora

First, I'm not sure that GLUT has an OpenGL ES port (haven't heard of one)

EDIT: yes it does: http://glutes.sourceforge.net/

And second, GLUT is a user interface toolkit that uses opengl, so the opengl stuff will still need to be ported.

Still, it sounds possible, especially if the code doesn't use the fixed pipeline too much.

Finally, shouldn't this be in the port requests section?

EDIT2: Adventus said that he might work on porting this a long time ago using the OGL->OGLES wrapper:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47407-nanogl/page__view__findpost__p__717816

EDIT3: Seems there are a few n800 racing games that might be interesting. There is also an opengl es port of tuxracer for n900. When I get my pandora one of the first things I'd like to have a go at porting is supertuxkart. I spoke to conso about it a while back (he's a STK dev and is active here) and he recommended I wait until they switch engines over to irrlicht, which they have now done, as there is an opengl 1.1 backend for irrlicht and there was also someone working on an opengl 2.0 backend and an arm port, though I don't know the status of this right now.

EdCa22 said:
Finally, shouldn't this be in the port requests section?

... I was just checking 'what do you think about' and discussing if it's doable ;)

Not really a direct port request since I don't even know what you'll get compiling straight the code over there :huh: !

wizboy said:
... I was just checking 'what do you think about' and discussing if it's doable ;)

Not really a direct port request since I don't even know what you'll get compiling straight the code over there :huh: !

mali said:
Someone point me to the "port request section" please :p

Ah, my bad... I got confused about the "please post port requests in the general forum" sticky that is in the dev forum. Apologies

cosurgi said:
mali said:
Someone point me to the "port request section" please :p
mali is a great moderator! cheers :)

Still a good game - my kids are playing it on their old P4 machines (with nvidia 6600 cards) in full graphics mode.

It's a pretty good game if you're into Nascar style drivers - i.e. floor it and turn left occasionally.

Someone needs to take the engine for it and build some tracks with loops, corkscrews, jumps, tunnels, etc...

Oh, and it needs some banana peels and gum and bowling balls to throw at the other cars - oh, wait - that's TuxCart.

If Torcs can be ported, maybe Speed Dreams (Torcs fork) can also see the light, ;)

http://speed-dreams.org

canseco said:
If Torcs can be ported, maybe Speed Dreams (Torcs fork) can also see the light, ;)

... not bad at all ;) !

I think that we need to wait until all the 4K units will be delivered; once done all the developers available will have a Pandora in their hands and a community behind to give'em support ;) !

... I'll do my part with lovely 'virtual' hugs of course :D !!!

I've always hoped that VDrift would be possible, but I think it's physics simulation might be way too much for the pandora :/

urjaman said:
I've always hoped that VDrift would be possible, but I think it's physics simulation might be way too much for the pandora :/
IDK, it looks doable.. Can we get somebody who knows what s/he is talking about here :lol: ?

Jourdy288 said:
urjaman said:
IDK, it looks doable.. Can we get somebody who knows what s/he is talking about here :lol: ?

Maybe if you make it much less complex graphically... just look here: http://wiki.vdrift.net/Hardware_requirements

I'm not so knowledgable on GPU stuff, but it says that intel graphics are not supported which doesnt sound promising.

Exophase, can you help us? (/me activates the giant exophase logo lamp to point at the nights sky, like the 'batman we need your help' lamp for the citizens of Gotham, but for advice on the technical capabilities of CPUs and GPUS for the citizens of GP32x)!

EdCa22 said:
Jourdy288 said:
urjaman said:

Maybe if you make it much less complex graphically... just look here: http://wiki.vdrift.net/Hardware_requirements

I'm not so knowledgable on GPU stuff, but it says that intel graphics are not supported which doesnt sound promising.

Exophase, can you help us? (/me activates the giant exophase logo lamp to point at the nights sky, like the 'batman we need your help' lamp for the citizens of Gotham, but for advice on the technical capabilities of CPUs and GPUS for the citizens of GP32x)!
Not Exophase, but it looks like the CPU requirement would pose a greater challenge than the GPU requirement - I'm pretty sure the SGX 530 is at least comparable to a Geforce 2.

Not Exophase, but it looks like the CPU requirement would pose a greater challenge than the GPU requirement - I'm pretty sure the SGX 530 is at least comparable to a Geforce 2
Yeah, I think the biggest problem would be FPU. Its likely that the driving model is pretty float intensive and would require NEON optimisation.

Back