What Aplications That Will Work?

id_carris

Still Fresh
I am interested in pandora but I usually use Windows Xp and I don't know what linux aplication can work well (not slow or not much slow) with pandora. By example will work OpenOffice, Eclipse, mysql...?
I am interested in document,image and programing application that can actually work in Pandora.

Thank you

carris said:
I am interested in pandora but I usually use Windows Xp and I don't know what linux aplication can work well (not slow or not much slow) with pandora. By example will work OpenOffice, Eclipse, mysql...?
I am interested in document,image and programing application that can actually work in Pandora.
Thank you
openoffice, or koffice or gnome-office will be ported somewhere in the time-line. And the pandora have the power to run well each of them.
I think wrinting code using the pandora keyboard realy awkward, so Eclipse have a very limited chance to be ported but is doable.

And why the f**k would you a SGBD on a mobile plateform. If you said sqlite, I would have shut my mouth, but mysql, common, why not a webserver on a wii ?

Programming for the pandora will bring you to linux programming. May be the first thing you should do is installing a linux on your home computer to get started :)

Last edited by a moderator:
carris said:
By example will work OpenOffice, Eclipse, mysql...?
No, no, probably no.

OpenOffice is as huge as MS-Office and it won't work. AbiWord may work, and has most of the features of MS-Word. Gnumeric may work, and it is similar to MS-Excel. There are lots of texts editors that will work, but Eclipse is just far, far out of the scope. I think that you won't able to run at a reasonable speed JDK or even GCC on Pandora, so... If you are looking for a nice text editor for Python or shell developing, go Vim or Emacs. Any other thing will require a PC.

Mysql? What you want mysql for? Sqlite will work for reasonable amounts of data. Old versions of Mysql may work, but really, who cares?

juanvvc said:
carris said:
By example will work OpenOffice, Eclipse, mysql...?
No, no, probably no.

OpenOffice is as huge as MS-Office and it won't work. AbiWord may work, and has most of the features of MS-Word. Gnumeric may work, and it is similar to MS-Excel. There are lots of texts editors that will work, but Eclipse is just far, far out of the scope. I think that you won't able to run at a reasonable speed JDK or even GCC on Pandora, so... If you are looking for a nice text editor for Python or shell developing, go Vim or Emacs. Any other thing will require a PC.

Mysql? What you want mysql for? Sqlite will work for reasonable amounts of data. Old versions of Mysql may work, but really, who cares?

Considering, people have shown OO to work on the N810, It will be eventually ported. All these what will work questions are really pointless. Go look at the Debain ARMEL, Angstrom, and Maemo repositories. That will be your best idea of what WILL work in due time. What will work right at release? No one but the main devs know.

I think OO will work just fine. 128MB and 500MHz should be more than enough for it to run decently

Kyosys said:
I think OO will work just fine. 128MB and 500MHz should be more than enough for it to run decently
Im working (two hours now) in OpenOffice with a 12 pages document and only one small image (a logo). Physical memory: 140MB. Virtual Memory: 300MB.

Anyway, Abiword is great, it has enough features for any user and I'm sure that it will work perfect on the Pandora :)

juanvvc said:
Im working (two hours now) in OpenOffice with a 12 pages document and only one small image (a logo). Physical memory: 140MB. Virtual Memory: 300MB.

Anyway, Abiword is great, it has enough features for any user and I'm sure that it will work perfect on the Pandora :)
Good grief! Why? That program needs a diet for sure.

You'd get less memory and CPU usage using Dosbox/ Windows 3.1 / Word for Windows. It's daft really.

ashdjones said:
juanvvc said:

Good grief! Why? That program needs a diet for sure.

It is probably wasting memory for a "fast" feeling, and why not? With 4GB of ram for $40 who is to say that is a bad thing?

If OO is going to be on a mobile it will surely use a scratchpad (of course set up to not wear out flash), and only cache a couple pages to save memory.

An "Office" application uses a lot of code to operate on a small file. We can likely throw out much of the code as it isn't used 90% of the time, features designed for the OS/Platform it is running on for example.

I can't say for sure how this will work, but it could only load parts of the program into memory that you use 90% of the time, and have the rest cached for when you call that function.

n810 running OpenOffice 2.4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Z__mepK-Y

Pretty much the same specs as the Pandora, but we get dual SDHC slots and a much faster processor.

I see in that video it is pretty slow, but OO is going to move to mobile, so we should use that as a base, or just port it. It will be JAVA, I don't recall how we are set for JAVA on the Pandora, but it should be OK. http://www.crn.com/software/206902379

OO 3.0 beta is quite snappy as well. I have to check memory usage when I get home and can check. But is a huge improvement over 2.0

I've just opened a huge document with pictures and scrolled through it. OO uses 48,2 MB of RAM. Certainly, More than 128 MB of ram is needed to use all the functionality of OO, but do you really want all the functionality on the go and on a 800x480 screen?

Open Office is more stable and feature rich then abiword. For the desktop its well worth the memory footprint.

For other stuff this site could help you:
http://www.osalt.com/

greendots said:
Open Office is more stable and feature rich then abiword. For the desktop its well worth the memory footprint.

For other stuff this site could help you:
http://www.osalt.com/

I think the real question is how often do you use all the features in OO to make it worth using on Pandora?

OO 3.0 Beta runs at about 65Mb with a 400 page word doc with pictures open. Also, don't forget that OO is making a more mobile optimized version, so that should be even lower.

OO is probably the best Office program for MS compatibility, which is pretty important these days.

I think the pandora is right on the threshold between where I use OO and where I settle for Abiword/gnumeric. On old pentium I's and II's, sure, I'll use the less demanding stuff, but here, I feel like there is plenty of power at our disposal that we might as well use. If I had the choice, I'd probably take both, because I could always use Abiword where time was of the essence and OpenOffice when I needed to open somebody else's document.

Back