What are you playing this weekend/these days?

After i got the XBOX Series X , i startet whit Farming Simulator 2022,
Downloaded some Mods, startet a Farm and played some hours..
Then i got to an Issue as ModHub ditnt want to open until i re installed the Game, so i decide to wait for the Game to get some new Updates..

Played also a bit Just Cause 4,
this new Features for the Hook are quite funny: Attache a Balloon on Cars, Humans or Animals (they want get harm, they have fun ^^) , even if the Gameplay might be a bit repetative..

Then i went to Devil May Cry 4,
allthough i wantet to finish first DMC3, i stuck there on this Tower Level as i ditnt know where to go, so im now on DMC4...
Im now in this Castle, Mission 4 or something, and there was this Parcour on the Slauther Room where you have this Plattformer Gameplay..
Failed a lot but at the End i got it done ^^

I fell into the X-Piratez timesink.

It's a mod for the original X-Com games (well, for the OpenXCom Extended port), that has you lead a group of female mutants pirates in a post-apocalyptic world filled with monsters, mutants, bandits, zombies, nazis, aliens, fanatics, ninjas, robots, mad scientists, demons... pretty much everything.
The gameplay is relatively close to the original x-com, with more varied mission types, and many many more stuff to research/find/build. You start with pirate/medieval weapons and very little clothing (there's a lot of nudity in there. It goes with the "macho women with guns" aesthetics, but some people might find it a bit too gratuitous) and slowly make your way up to high powered sci-fi weapons and armors.

It's pretty fun, but a full campaign is quite long (maybe too much at times, some missions get a bit repetitive after some time) and there's a "one more turn..." syndrome that quickly turns the game into a timesink.

Fable Aniversary (Xbox Series X)
This time i try to make a hopefully quite Evil Run, the last time i played this Game was on the PC whit "the Lost Chapters" but whit mostly good guy decicions, so it might be quite fun to be the bad guy this time..
So im now done whit the Arena, and i got around 17 Silver Keys or something now.., i played the whole Saturday..

The Aniversary looks better than the Lost Chapters, but its still a XBOX 360 Game, and no oponent for this Series X..

Been Playing a lot of King of Fighters 2000 on my newly acquired NEO-GEO. Also Samurai Shodown II came in yesterday, it plays a lot differently than the KOF series, so I'll need a bit more practice on that game.

For me, only Garou (mark of the wolves) worked well for me, but then my fingers were mostly trained using 3d fighters like Virtual Fighter and the early Tekkens moving on to Soul Calibur, which might have something to do with it.

The Stellaview (a satellite modem for the SNES) was used to stream some high-quality music for some games, so this isn't completely out of touch with the original material.

Also, chiptunes and low-res pixel art was a design constraint, not a design choice. Some artists really did great with those constraints and they led to an aesthetic that many people still enjoy and keep using even when without the constraints, but this doesn't mean that a game was necessarily meant to use these constrained graphics and sounds.

Having these options are great for players who prefer to use them (and/or wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the game without), and those who prefer the original experience can still have it.

SNES audio is high quality.
Nobody is saying it's not. It's just that RAM restrictions means that even 16 bit samples had to be compressed to well, just "good enough" audio samples.
Here's somebody trying to recreate the SNES sounds by adding such restrictions:

Now for me, there is good and bad music. And it does not matter if it's HQ or LQ. See for yourself:

* and yes, this is not a snes example (It's an Amiga) but the example is still as valid.

Which gets us to a point that I want to make. It's what you are used to hear.
For example, this sounds like an orchestra now...

But it's NOT the tune I associate with the game:

But both of them are, to me, inferior to the C64 song:

https://youtu.be/rHjUJNYD_GY?t=9

Last edited:
I played a lot of C64 back in the day. I only had the tape-streamer so I could play and return to check if the game had already loaded.

I can remember wondering why other games looked so basic compared to C64 games. And I enjoyed the music also, for example the Command intro tune:

I was also watching an interview with one of the guys working at MOS and some background stories are told about Commodore related development:

I'm still, slowly, playing Teardown. I don't really like the time challenges but planning and breaking stuff I still enjoy.

Changing the music in Zelda is disrespectful to Miyamoto. A Link to the Past is a masterpiece. Don't mess with it / you can't improve it. Zelda's have such amazing sound design (I realise we're talking about music) I get joy from cutting grass, crushing skulls, everything.

Last edited:
I finally played a game I always heard about from my youth, Aladdin, the Sega Master System version... I finished it in an hour :confused:

Also almost finished Maneater, it's like playing Batman Arkham, but with a Shark :D (...well, a very basic version of Batman Arkham :))
The game uses maybe too much the same types of missions over and over, this is pretty much a canon in games like this, but this has really few types of missions (mostly, "eat this", "eat that"...) so it's pretty visible.
Anyway I liked it a lot, it's something different from everything I ever seen, and with the excuse of underwater nuclear or toxic dumps, the shark can evolve with electric or poison powers and things like that, and you will use all this powers to destroy Shark hunters boats and other big sea predators... for the rest almost everything that happened in horror shark movies can be done in this game !!
There's a cool story mostly similar to the movie that started all this genre, but is not so deep, and anyway the game maintains always a comic narration similar to the documentaries of DIscovery Channel.
After the end of the game there's actually another little campaign, very funny.

Final Fantasy XII (The Zodiac Age) Nintendo Switch OLED
After i bought the Game last thunday i played some hours on my Garden Reading Place but came to the Part where Vaan wantet to steal some stuff from the Rabanastre Castle, whit a Stealth Mini Game (A Labirynth, and you have to shout to get the Guards out of the Way), but as i ditnt had my Tactics Book from the PS2 Version whit me, i made a Pause in this game..
Today i played a bit in my Room, and thanks to the Map in the Book, i got this Part done, now Fran and Balthier are Part of my Party ^^

Also played some Metal Slugg 3 on the Neo Geo Emulator on Pyra, but not that long, at least i came to Mission 3, and thanks to the Savestate Feature, i can continue next time..
Also played a Game named "Cururin" which is like Dr. Mario, but whit rows of Peaple, and you can rotate the Level? Quite Strange but fun.. and also on NeoGeo..

Back