What connectors would you like on the P2?

Sorry If I'm wrong* but I still don't know of any standard whereby the slave USB device can power the host i.e.

you cannot charge a pandora (or suchlike) using the full-size USB A port

hosts (with A sockets or B plugs) source power

slaves (with B sockets or A plugs) sink it

the exception is miniAB which can act as either host or slave depending on weather you use a miniA or miniB plug

*I was! See below - there are new fancy ways to do it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry If I'm wrong but I still don't know of any standard whereby the slave USB device can power the host i.e.

the exception is miniAB which can act as either host or slave depending on weather you use a miniA or miniB plug

Did you check out the link I gave you on the new Power Delivery Spec? That's supposed to allow power transfer in both directions. Since you mentioned high current I thought you were referring to it originally (but we're talking really high current capability here, up to 100W, which of course Pandora 2 would come nowhere close to touching) No idea if it's in any way realistic to support this spec in Pandora 2.

Sorry If I'm wrong but I still don't know of any standard whereby the slave USB device can power the host i.e.

Did you check out the link I gave you on the new Power Delivery Spec? That's supposed to allow power transfer in both directions. Since you mentioned high current I thought you were referring to it originally (but we're talking really high current capability here, up to 100W, which of course Pandora 2 would come nowhere close to touching) No idea if it's in any way realistic to support this spec in Pandora 2.

Ah I missed the the bidirectional part there :unsure:

If We are using a USB port to charge, I'd like two of them

Unless powered USB hubs with upstream charging become common

If you're talking about my post, i've just fixed it so that it reflects what I actually meant to say. :)

What kind of USB port is on the Google Nexus 7? It is being used to charge, as a USB device port AND has been used as a USB host port. I saw an article where a guy had keyboard, mouse, etc and linux loaded and running on the thing all through that port.

Sorry If I'm wrong* but I still don't know of any standard whereby the slave USB device can power the host i.e.

*I was! See below - there are new fancy ways to do it :)

You know. Thinking about it. I'm fine with us keeping the miniA/B port - but declaring our own high-amp charge draw spec for it when plugged into a high amp charger. Keeps it just different enough.

Cables aren't really a problem - check monoprice for them.

Cables aren't really a problem - check monoprice for them.

They don't seem to have mini-A connectors.

I suggest:

2 * full USB A - socket use these for high-current charging when/if new USB power standards become common

1 * mini USB-B - use this for low current charging, and use as USB slave

Don't use micro-AB OTG because the connectors are too weak

Don't use mini-AB because its discontinued

• 2x SDXC (full-size)
  • 1x microSD (internal)
  • 3.5mm headphone
  • 1 x full size USB 1.0/1.1 + USB 2.0 host port (i.e. with two controllers).
  • I don't care all that much about USB 3.0, but do not oppose it. Direct support for 1.0/1.1 devices is more important.
  • 1 x mini or micro USB slave port (charging, mass storage device, etc...)
  • 1 x HDMI (DVI-D is also acceptable, but makes less sense)

I found the solution to the USB question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_3.0_Micro_B_plug.PNG

It is a composite micro plug. I saw one on the last USB 3.0 card reader I bought but had thought it must be some proprietary nonsense.

One side is a USB 2 micro port. The other is the extended pins for USB 3.0.

Put in one USB 3.0 Micro and one USB 3.0 A. Good picture of them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb_3.0

That brings us up to 'modern times' on the USB ports.

Edit: Oh - and the USB 3.0 micro B port winds up being much more robust than a standard micro B port - much more stability.

Edit2: A great picture of a normal USB 3.0 A to micro B device cable.

http://www.amazon.com/BYTECC-39-37-Micro-Cable-USB3-1M-A/dp/B003ENECI6

I want a caradaptor, so I can charge my car battery with my Pandora!

Ok, now you're just being silly. Can we get back to discussing miniSD cards now?

Back