What Do I Need To Connect An External Hdd?

I currently have a archos420 mp3 player/portable hardrive(20gb). Is there anyway I can just connect it to my gp2x directly or just with some kind of cord(since it is self powered). I have not recieved my gp2x yet, so I do not know much about this matter. Any ideas?

Wait for the Break-Out-Box (BOB), which will allow you to hook up USB things...

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have a archos420 mp3 player/portable hardrive(20gb). Is there anyway I can just connect it to my gp2x directly or just with some kind of cord(since it is self powered). I have not recieved my gp2x yet, so I do not know much about this matter. Any ideas?
Yes, build the simple circuit in the wiki (see my sig), you only will need the part where the resistors and capacitors are tied to the USB data lines to prevent signal degredation.

It is only 4 resistors and 2 capacitors if I recall correctly, it really should fit inside the shell on either end of a EXT to USB cable, I would buy one for up to $15-20 (the $20 one better have a +5v signal to run gamepads and such.)

I realize this involves building a cord, so that makes it "some kind of cord" the kind you have to make yourself, it is a sad state of affairs right now, it should get better in the future though.

Yes, build the simple circuit in the wiki (see my sig), you only will need the part where the resistors and capacitors are tied to the USB data lines to prevent signal degredation.

It is only 4 resistors and 2 capacitors if I recall correctly, it really should fit inside the shell on either end of a EXT to USB cable, I would buy one for up to $15-20 (the $20 one better have a +5v signal to run gamepads and such.)

I realize this involves building a cord, so that makes it "some kind of cord" the kind you have to make yourself, it is a sad state of affairs right now, it should get better in the future though.

Wow that stuff confuses the crap out of me. What parts do I need just to make the usb part of the "BOB"? Could you give me some simpler instructions?

Actually you can format with FAT32 up to 2 TB, but just not from Windows that support NTFS (which could actually be better, but it's proprietary).

That explains why I was able to format my 80GB HDD to FAT32 back when I got it in Windows 98 (haven't tried it since I got XP, since I don't need too obviosuly :p )

Wow that stuff confuses the crap out of me. What parts do I need just to make the usb part of the "BOB"? Could you give me some simpler instructions?
Sure, I guess it is mighty confusing, here is a link to just the USB Data filtering schematic
, look at the blue box as being a USB socket like on your PC. Into that we have

*Ground (the funny upside down tree things, all of the "grounds" should be connected to each other)

*Data IN and OUT (these have the filtering on them, the Resistors are the W shapes with R# next to them, the capacitors are the ones with the C3 and C4)

*VUSB, or voltage USB (I don't know if you need this, it might be necessary just to tell your drive to start working, just have to try and see)

This is the main schematic for the EXT port, just look at the three wires going to the "USB Host", they are pins 9 and 10 for the USB data and pin 13 for the ground (or any handy ground would likely do really).

You can PM me if you get really, really lost, they should make a cord that does this, just a cord, but they likely won't. GPH doesn't seem to like designing things to be extra cool, just merely industrially functional, size be damned.
Actually you can format with FAT32 up to 2 TB, but just not from Windows that support NTFS (which could actually be better, but it's proprietary).

That explains why I was able to format my 80GB HDD to FAT32 back when I got it in Windows 98 (haven't tried it since I got XP, since I don't need too obviosuly :p )
I would try the tools from your manufacturer, usually it is a bootable CD and you can format your drives from that (or install the windows tools, I don't know if they will do it in XP though, I haven't tried), if your drive didn't come with tools they are usually available to download from the website for your drive, they will usually have an option that makes a bootable floppy or some such.

On a related note, it appears that gp32z.com has the developers version of the BoB in-stock.

My question is, does anyone have confirmation that one with an enclosure will be released soon? I could make a custom case for the developers version if it's questionable that an enclosed version will be available in the near future.

Back