What do you dislike the most in the actual Pandora.

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi !

There's tons of qualities in the OP, but maybe there's something you'd like to change/improve for the Pyra.

My cents:

-I'd like to be able to invert right nub and ABXY from the default OS

-I'd like to be able to block the screen in a certain angle

-I'd like to lay the OP on a desktop with a lanyard. With one, it gives a nasty little angle to the OP

-I'd like to have mini cavities at the bottom to glue pieces of rubber for better grip on desktop

-I'd like to have a nail cavity to make the OP opening easier (like ones on the SD ports).

-I'd like to have a coherent UI for the _majority_ of games/emulators. I'm a bit tired of pushing 472 different buttons to open menus, quit games etc. It's also a rebuttal for novice people.

The Wlan can be better ;)

I want a real Power OFF Switch with no Shutdown first.

A GCC and other Things must be used from PNDs like the Codeblocks,but i want a Official Dev Image for SD Cards integrated with all Openpandora Libs.

Short i want a Real Pandora OS Distro for making port Games and Applications more easy like in Slackware Distro.

The USB Port need mostly a Hub for using Things and

i want a better Touchscreen.

Extras to buy would be nice like a Pandora TV Docking Station.

That was it from me ;)

And overall the Things i wrote,i love my Pandoras much ;)

Nail cavity under the lid is definitely something which should be added... Using 2 hands is no problem but trying to prize open the lid with one hand when it's on the table is not that easy

I want a real Power OFF Switch with no Shutdown first.
 You have.

Do Pandora button and Power switch.

Then immediately after reset hold R shoulder button.

Select power off and it's off within one second.
Also hold the power switch for 10 seconds to force a power off. It's hard wired to do that so software can't get in the way and will work even if the CPU is completely frozen.Having an immediate "turn off" switch sounds like a bad idea.

Yes but for first need i 2 Hands and for Second do i need Time.

When i am underway and want to Poweroff the Pandora is a real Powerswitch faster.

I use mostly the First Solution,but i need 2 Hands for this.

But wait.....was there not a Setting in the Lid Close Actions?

I Think i must searcxh there ;)

Hummm... even if I really like its current design there are a few things that could be better in my opinion :

- moving the speakers from the lid into the bottom case for a maximum possible screen size.

I do not really know if we need stereo output here, maybe one single speaker for mono would be enough.

=> just to have the possibility of a large/bigger screen ^^

- we also need an antireflecting coating to the screen surface.

- the shoulder buttons sometimes cause my hands to cramp after playing for a long time ^^

R1 and R2 are slightly too close to the rest of the controls. (Had that recently again with "Incoming", after reaching stage 28)

- fixation of the screen in a specific angle would be appreciated as well =D

Thats it for now ^^

- moving the speakers from the lid into the bottom case for a maximum possible screen size.
Which would cut into the amount of space that can be used for the board circuitry and possible make the device thicker or wider depending how it's done.

I do not really know if we need stereo output here, maybe one single speaker for mono would be enough.
That would just suck without stereo.

Last edited by a moderator:
depending how it's done.
You are right with that =)

That would just suck without stereo.
Hummm since the Pandora shows its real stereo-sound quality through its headphone out..

and putting two stereo speakers with a space of 12 cm between eachother doesnt really have a stereo effect in my opinion...

I just dunno... it was just a suggestion

When i am underway and want to Poweroff the Pandora is a real Powerswitch faster
Woah woah woah woah. You want this for regular use? Just flip a switch and the power suddenly cuts off? That is a bad bad bad bad idea and is the leading cause of data corruption. That's the reason behind the whole shutdown process, to make sure all files are properly closed and filesystems unmounted. This is why I say an instant-off switch is bad: it may be good for you but too many people will accidentally hit it and kill their SD cards.What situation could you possibly be in where you can't afford 4 seconds to initiate the shutdown process and then just close the lid? And if there is such a situation, can't a quick flip into suspend mode suffice until you are no longer running for your life and can spare the few extra seconds to shut down properly?

When i am underway and want to Poweroff the Pandora is a real Powerswitch faster
Woah woah woah woah. You want this for regular use? Just flip a switch and the power suddenly cuts off? That is a bad bad bad bad idea and is the leading cause of data corruption. That's the reason behind the whole shutdown process, to make sure all files are properly closed and filesystems unmounted. This is why I say an instant-off switch is bad: it may be good for you but too many people will accidentally hit it and kill their SD cards.
What situation could you possibly be in where you can't afford 4 seconds to initiate the shutdown process and then just close the lid? And if there is such a situation, can't a quick flip into suspend mode suffice until you are no longer running for your life and can spare the few extra seconds to shut down properly?
I think i will use the "shutdown when Lid close" Function in the Future,you are right.
Btw:I had never Data loss because this rekognized ;)

-I'd like to have a coherent UI for the _majority_ of games/emulators. I'm a bit tired of pushing 472 different buttons to open menus, quit games etc. It's also a rebuttal for novice people.
+1000 on this one! Having some guidelines about what each button should do would be amazing (like: quit, validate an action, invoke main menu...). As you say, right now it's really part of the game to discover how to navigate a PND :)

-I'd like to lay the OP on a desktop with a lanyard. With one, it gives a nasty little angle to the OP

-I'd like to have mini cavities at the bottom to glue pieces of rubber for better grip on desktop
Do you have paracord run through there or something?

I have a lanyard (wrist strap) on my Pandora - it lays flat if I flip the lanyard out of the way first.  It is one from a cheap flashlight.  The cord that goes through the Pandora is much thinner than the wrist side, but still very strong.  I tested the lanyard by first trying to tear the strap off the flashlight.

The strap from a Wii remote would work too - but those tend to be pretty long.

For the Pyra...

ED has spoken about the idea of having the Pyra back be dock compatible.  So...  the lanyard hole would need to move.  I think one on each side, left & right would do the job nicely.

Some would want the wrist strap for the left, some would want it for the right.  A few of you would probably benefit from using both.  *duck from flying objects*

+1000 on this one! Having some guidelines about what each button should do would be amazing (like: quit, validate an action, invoke main menu...). As you say, right now it's really part of the game to discover how to navigate a PND :)
Not going to happen, we can implement best practices for game/emulator key setup.. but it's harder than herding cats to get people to agree on following a common universal setup.. especially in an open community dealing with open source projects with people with varying levels of coding skills.

Coincidence or not, but all the hardware that is controlled by binary blobs has problems: GPU, wifi, nubs, battery gauge.

Back