What do you dislike the most in the actual Pandora.

One thing I don't want to change is the audio quality and setup.  MWeston did a superlative job of ensuring the OP had decent sound.

-ve's, I've got: too fat, touchscreen/case for lid is very retro, should be a single foldable flat capacitive screen with no embellishments.  The keyboard needs a backlight, duh.

Aside from that I love everything else about the Pandora.

I dislike the incompatibility with SD cards. While my camera can read the SD, my Debian can read the SD, the Pandora just says there are corruptions in the SD card and it can not be mounted. (Ive taken more than 1000 pics with that SD card, so it is the Pandora, not the card).

Also the lack of fsck after a boot, this means that if you shake the pandora, and you get unfortunate that the ext3/4 can not recover, you have to use another computer to fix the problem.

^ I noticed that fsck isn't used on the card on boot. I ran fsck on my ext2 card that I used with my pandora. 965 mounts without a check, and probably 50+ hard reboots. I'm surprised I haven't noticed any data loss.

- moving the speakers from the lid into the bottom case for a maximum possible screen size.
Which would cut into the amount of space that can be used for the board circuitry and possible make the device thicker or wider depending how it's done.
I also think speakers should be moved and screen made as large as possible...
Yes.  The screen should consume the entire lid.  The size of the screen should dictate the X,Y dimensions of the whole device.

Crappy little speakers can go somewhere other than the lid.  Any speaker smaller than 100mm is, by definition, crappy.

I dislike the incompatibility with SD cards. While my camera can read the SD, my Debian can read the SD, the Pandora just says there are corruptions in the SD card and it can not be mounted. (Ive taken more than 1000 pics with that SD card, so it is the Pandora, not the card).

Also the lack of fsck after a boot, this means that if you shake the pandora, and you get unfortunate that the ext3/4 can not recover, you have to use another computer to fix the problem.
I have never encountered an SD card that it couldn't read.

I -have- encountered cards that come with exFAT that work fine in a camera but can not be read on the Pandora without downloading and adding exFAT support.  I also have cameras that won't read anything but FAT and exFAT - which is insanely annoying.

You can find the exFAT support thread here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/12602-exfat-cutting-through-the-bs-solved/page-3

Last edited by a moderator:
-I'd like to have a coherent UI for the _majority_ of games/emulators. I'm a bit tired of pushing 472 different buttons to open menus, quit games etc. It's also a rebuttal for novice people.
+1000 on this one! Having some guidelines about what each button should do would be amazing (like: quit, validate an action, invoke main menu...). As you say, right now it's really part of the game to discover how to navigate a PND :)
Not going to happen, we can implement best practices for game/emulator key setup.. but it's harder than herding cats to get people to agree on following a common universal setup.. especially in an open community dealing with open source projects with people with varying levels of coding skills.
A single button with the word menu printed on it would go a long way.

the only thing i started to dislike in the panda, is the screen size, other then that i still think its all great.

screen is just a tad bit too small for me. If it fills the whole current width it would be perfect.

Didn't think I'd miss a backlight on the keyboard, but I do. Mostly for the special characters. If it's a bit darker somewhre you can't see the blue on black so I'm shining the screen on the keyboard a lot.

Not fond of the keys of the keyboard (don't like the tactile sensation and miss something on the f and j for finding my bearing) and want the numbers right above the letters.

To answer the original question, I really hate the keyboard. The wifi sucks too but thats an easy fix with USB. you cant just reolace the keyboard

^ I love the keyboard.. so I just negated your opinion.. Deal with it!

All that I have ever hated about the original pandora would be gone for P2 based on what ED has said.

Awful keyboard. (if it is good, then people would not complain about it this much. I don't see anybody saying Pandora's D-pad is bad. It's not just a matter of personal opinion, as a matter of fact that keyboard is god-awful. I can't speak for everyone and I don't want to be rude here, but this is either make it or break it. It's essential to me.)

Stiff and hard to press shoulder buttons. (again, some are ok with these blasted things, but I hate them with a passion. they felt so different from everything else on the market)

Wifi.

Pandora's case. (it feels so cheap, hardly worthy of putting a $20 calculator in)

An imcompetent tea drinking money throwing lying failure monkey whose name shall not be mentioned.

With P2 being so promising, I would like to also mention a point: just getting rid of all the bad of the original is not enough to make the successor better. All the core aspects should also be improved. (sound quality, all the small details, our big repo of great apps and so on.)

I'm perfectly happy with the current Pandora's screen size, and I don't require a light up keyboard.  Four shoulder buttons has been addressed, so there's no reason to request that anymore. 

I'd like six game buttons instead of four, but I'm happy with four as long as the buttons aren't moved any further away from the keyboard than they are on the Pandora, so I can comfortably reach the buttons and the top right keys without moving my hand.

What I care about the very most is having a sturdy metal case.  A completely metal case is tops important to me, and if it's too bad of a market decision due to cost and popularity then I would like for the outermost internal contacts and wireless adapter locations to be determined with being surrounded by a metal case in mind, so that a willing few like myself can make one and swap it without messing anything up.  That is what I request, please.

I stay at it:

I want a complete Pandora OS Distro for SD Cards with all important Things to port Software and Games integrated ;)

All that I have ever hated about the original pandora would be gone for P2 based on what ED has said.

Awful keyboard. (if it is good, then people would not complain about it this much. I don't see anybody saying Pandora's D-pad is bad. It's not just a matter of personal opinion, as a matter of fact that keyboard is god-awful. I can't speak for everyone and I don't want to be rude here, but this is either make it or break it. It's essential to me.)
The keyboard is quite good for its size and for its intended use. Sure, it can probably be improved, but there are a lot of ways to make a much, much worse keyboard of that size.

Comparing it with the dpad does not make much sense. It is perfectly possible to make a perfect dpad within the size limitations of the Pandora dimensions, there would be nothing to gain from having more space to work with. And the Pandora has a perfect dpad indeed.

However, it is not possible to make a perfect keyboard that fits in an area that is smaller than a remote control. Also, being a handheld, meaning you hold the thing in your hands, implies that your fingers are not available for touch typing anyway. So the keyboard has to be optimized for thumb typing, and it needs to take severe space limitations into account. Given those constraints, the Pandora keyboard is quite good.

Sure, if you put your Pandora on the table and try to do 10-finger touch typing with it, it will suck. You cannot reasonably expect anything else.

Back