What do you dislike the most in the actual Pandora.

^ Who said the Pyra will have a 800x480 screen? - it is very likely to end up with a more letterboxy one, which would fit rather better.

This may be of help:

Code:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

#Python script to calculate useful information about displays
#from data typically provided by manufacturer/retailer

#You have permission to redistribute and modify this script, on the condition that this line is present and unmodified, and that you credit the authors below.
#CEDStone - origninal script - 2013
#CEDStone - added list of abbreviations, metric conversions - 2013

import fractions
import math

x=0
y=0
d=0

acrodict={
          "(7680, 4800)":  "WHUXGA",
          "(6400, 4800)":   "HUXGA",
          "(7680, 4320)": "UHD, 8k",
          "(6400, 4096)":  "WHSXGA",
          "(5120, 4096)":   "HSXGA",
          "(5120, 3200)":   "WHXGA",
          "(4096, 3072)":    "HXGA",
          "(3840, 2400)":  "WQUXGA",
          "(3200, 2400)":   "QUXGA",
          "(3840, 2160)":"QFHD or 4k",
          "(3200, 2048)":  "WQSXGA",
          "(2560, 2048)":   "QSXGA",
          "(3200, 1800)":    "QHD+",
          "(2880, 1800)":  "WQXGA+",
          "(2560, 1600)":   "WQXGA",
          "(2048, 1536)":    "QXGA",
          "(2560, 1440)":     "QHD",
          "(1920, 1200)":   "WUXGA",
          "(1600, 1200)":    "UXGA",
          "(2048, 1152)":   "QWXGA",
          "(1920, 1080)":  "fullHD",
          "(1680, 1050)":  "WSXGA+",
          "(1400, 1050)":    "SXGA",
          "(1280, 1024)":    "SXGA",
          "(1440, 960) ":       "?",
          "(1280, 960)" :   "SXGA-",
          "(1600, 900)" :     "HD+",
          "(1440, 900)" :   "WXGA+",
          "(1280, 864)" :       "?",
          "(1152, 864)" :    "XGA+",
          "(1280, 800)" :    "WXGA",
          "(1366, 768)" :    "WXGA",
          "(1280, 768)" :    "WXGA",
          "(1152, 768)" :       "?",
          "(1024, 768)" :     "XGA",
          "(1280, 720)" :"HD or WXGA",
          "(1152, 720)" :       "?",
          "(1136, 640)" :       "?",
          "(1024, 640)" :       "?",
          "(960, 640)"  :    "DVGA",
          "(1024, 600)" :   "WSVGA",
          "(800, 600)"  :    "SVGA",
          "(1024, 576)" :   "WSVGA",
          "(960, 540)"  :     "qHD",
          "(854, 480)"  :   "FWVGA",
          "(800, 480)"  :    "WVGA",
          "(640, 480)"  :     "VGA",
          "(640, 360)"  :     "nHD",
          "(480, 320)"  :    "HVGA",
          "(432, 240)"  :  "FWQVGA",
          "(400, 240)"  :   "WQVGA",
          "(384, 240)"  :   "WQVGA",
          "(320, 240)"  :    "QVGA",
          "(240, 160)"  :   "HQVGA",
          "(160, 120)"  :   "QQVGA",
          "(1, 1)"      :  "an LED",
          }

print "------------------------------------------"

x = int(   raw_input("  Columns:               ") )
y = int(   raw_input("  Rows:                  ") )
d = float( raw_input("  Diagonal length (in)   ") )

if x*y*d==0:                                        # Avoid division by zero
    print "Exiting (invalid input)"
    exit()

if str((x,y)) in acrodict :                         # Is the given resolution known?
    acro=str(acrodict[str((x,y))]) 
elif str((y,x)) in acrodict :
    acro=str(acrodict[str((y,x))])                  # perhaps if backwards?
else:
    acro="non-standard"

dp = math.sqrt(pow(x, 2) + pow(y, 2))               # How many px fit anlong the diagonal
gcd = (fractions.gcd(x, y))
xin = x/(dp/d)                                      # Width in inches
yin = y/(dp/d)                                      # Hieght in inches
xcm = xin*2.54
ycm = yin*2.54

print "  Pixel density         ", round(dp/d, 1), "ppi"
print "  Megapixels            ", round((x*y)/1000000, 1), "MP"
print "  Area                  ", round((xin*yin), 1), "in^2  = ", round((xcm*ycm), 1), "cm^2"
print "  Width                 ", round(xin, 1), "in    = ", round(xcm, 1), "cm"
print "  Height                ", round(yin, 1), "in    = ", round(ycm, 1), "cm"
print "  Orientation:          ",
if x>y :
    print "Landscape"
if x<y :
    print "Portrait"
if x==y :
    print "N/A (Square)"
print "  Aspect ratio:         ", (x/gcd), ":", (y/gcd)
print "  Sometimes known as    ", acro 

print "------------------------------------------"

The overall build quality is rather disappointing (shoulder buttons, casing, video cables, hinge, ...).
+1

Luckily this is more than compensated by the great support from ED but I hope Pyra will have a better overall build quality. 

On the positive side, my last 2 netbooks had issues with the keyboard after a while (sticking keys) because of dust build up between the keys. The keyboard of the Pandora doesn't have this problem at all. 

The overall build quality is rather disappointing (shoulder buttons, casing, video cables, hinge, ...).
+1

Luckily this is more than compensated by the great support from ED but I hope Pyra will have a better overall build quality. 

On the positive side, my last 2 netbooks had issues with the keyboard after a while (sticking keys) because of dust build up between the keys. The keyboard of the Pandora doesn't have this problem at all. 
I agree with this insofar the build quality should be improved up to the point the 'bugs' are worked out, but I don't think it is necessarily desirable to use different (and more expensive) materials (like metal for the case), since that will mean less money is available for the HW specs..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm also disappointed by the build quality of the Pandora. The case may be out of extra thick plastic but the Handheld still feels very fragile, I always open the hinge very carefuly because it jsut feels like it breaks every second. One broken LCD ribbon in the past did not make it better to trust the device. The heavy battery also gives the Pandora a weight that actualy makes an durable and ruged case neccessary.

I have a old CC Pandora, I know that some things have improved with the newer 1GHz Pandoras, better case and better material but overall, "Pandora 2" needs to have am uch better quality, it just have to feel durable and rigid.

The Pandora build quality cant be that bad, as my Circuit Co Pandora survived a lot while my ownership: it was in the sideback of my Pants, was used whyle drive the Unimog, mybe got a bit rainwater while i went at home whit my Motoscooter..

And so one..

It wasnt the best Case, but its tougth..

But i hope the Pyra to have way better Case, at the Case of Pandora was realy not that good..

Whas i dislike is the Shoulderbutton s, which workd, but wherend not realy well built..

When i got my Pandora, the Foampad on the right Shoulderbutton lost his place during the shipping and so the button ditnt work,

Then i found a scree driver and fixed it

And normaly, i cant fix elecronix, but this was easy enought. .

But it was the only hardware fault, i can remember. .

Then my Wifi endet to work and i sendet it to ED for Repair and Case Chance to the Platin Case wich was much better. .

Also the Original Touchscreen Pen was not realy good, but as the Pyra will mybe get a Multitouch, this should nt be a Problem. .

The Thing was great, and i play a lot whit it

But the Pyra needs a lot of work..

The awfullst thing on the Pandora 1 was, that i ditnt hade a Homebrewhandheld to shorten the Waitingtime, but whit Pandora, i have something to short the Waitingtime. .^^

Do you think the build quality was because this is a fairly niche product, or do you guys think we can actually make significant improvements in how its manufactured?

Do you think the build quality was because this is a fairly niche product, or do you guys think we can actually make significant improvements in how its manufactured?
Im just impressed that the first didnt become vaporware. With all ED has learned, I'm sure there is tons of room for improvement.

What do you dislike the most in the actual Pandora
- no polished gpsp gba-emulator

- build quality of the case

- working connected to the wall without battery is not supported (although works with some units)

The rest is very fine, especially this great community.

Actually, the only thing that annoys me sometimes about my Pandora are the ABXY buttons. Some games use A as the main action button because it's labelled 'A', some use B cos that's the Nintendo way and some use X cos that's the Sega way. The only button you can rely on not to be the main button is Y, and that's hardly suitable as a secondary/back button.

Actually, the only thing that annoys me sometimes about my Pandora are the ABXY buttons. Some games use A as the main action button because it's labelled 'A', some use B cos that's the Nintendo way and some use X cos that's the Sega way. The only button you can rely on not to be the main button is Y, and that's hardly suitable as a secondary/back button.
Is this something that annoys you about your Pandora, or about ABXY action button conventions in general? I don't think it's fair to blame OpenPandora for Nintendo and Sega having different conventions ;) . Even big game studios aren't consistent, e.g. different editions of Final Fantasy use different buttons, even on the same platform.

I complained about something like this before.  A and B are usually buttons 1 and 2 just because they're the first and second letters.  I think X and Y often complete the square to align with them on an X axis and Y axis, respectively.  I used to wonder why the letters A B X and Y were chosen for the Pandora when they weren't going to be used in this way.  But we can get used to anything, and they'll surely carry over.

I suggest we call them α, β, γ, δ on the Pyra.

Edit: With especially Gamma in a nicer font than the one used here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wonder why the letters A B X and Y were chosen for the Pandora
The SNES pattern is trademarked, so the GP2X went with the current design. The Pandora, as a spiritual successor to the GP2X, uses the same configuration, also partially because the SNES pattern is still trademarked.

Is this something that annoys you about your Pandora, or about ABXY action button conventions in general? I don't think it's fair to blame OpenPandora for Nintendo and Sega having different conventions ;) . Even big game studios aren't consistent, e.g. different editions of Final Fantasy use different buttons, even on the same platform.
What would be great is if there was a PND that would allow you to set your preferred ABXY setup and would then push that to as many emulators as possible.

I suffer from the same constant confusion where in one game it's this button that does the jumping/shooting/whatnot and in the next it's another.

Maybe something I'd like to try to tackle in an upcoming coding competition and I'm not as ridiculously swamped in work as I'm now.

Wait, there's no polished gba emulator? Isn't gba Game Boy Advanced? How do we have a dS emulator, but not a polished gba emulator? I don't understand >.<

I think, whit a bit Elektronix Mod Skills (i never had) there isnt a problem to open the screws, put the board out and change the physikaly button Layout yourself, as the Button s are all the same..

I dealt whit the stock layoat, as i ditnt care about the a b x y on the Button s, as this would cause to many time to read..

I know, to let Mario Jump, i have to push the button on the right etc..

Normalie, the physikal mapping is the Same as on the original console..

And how do you playe PSX Games on your Pandora? ?

I dislike, that my Pandora Backlight Controll seems to get buggy if i enable USB Host..

Back