What Do You Think About The Android Scene?

Tetsuro

Still Fresh
It seems there will be an astounding number of devices. And this reflect in a lot of games... see:
Video

Orion4874 said:
There's definitely plenty of homebrew which is great but I'd like to see more of the big studios embrace Android like they do Apple.

I think it's about time for that, the Android market is already settled but I think it will explode this autumn with the release of several new devices. What worry me is the touchscreen, I would have liked some real buttons on these devices but it seems that for reaching everyone the producers must settle to just the touchscreen. I've already seen controls mapped on the screen but isn't exactly ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been terribly excited about Android lately, its true that its definitely a market force and all that, but its terribly frustrating having to deal with all the device variations out there, differences between 1.1/1.5/1.6/2.0/2.1/2.2 and so on .. seems to me that the biggest problem with Linux (fracture) has also happened with Android, and in such a volatile place, I can't say its productive to have so many variations out there in different arenas.

Well, anyway, the NDK is pretty cool, its nice to at least be able to share code between iPhone and Android (and Angstrom/linux too, for that matter), but the general front-facing aspect of the Android machine is a knobby beast, in my opinion.

I'm not too interested in Android. Mostly because I'm wary of google and whatever spyware they have installed. The amount of data a cell phone can gather is staggering so I'm a bit sceptical of the whole thing. That said there's a lot of good devices out there (galaxy), I'd just like to see them run something else. GPL, EPL.

A few questions: does the 65k colour limit still apply? What are the current benchmarks between dalvik VM and native code?

Personally I'm looking forward to Symbian^4 and N9. But then again I enjoy the these wars.. :)

Don't know but it seems a problem with the producers. I think that maybe they want to sell new hardware and so do not update frequently the firmwares of their devices (complex devices, not like portable gaming console). I think it's the user that must choose the right brand, with the right support.
I think that everyone could put spywares in their devices, even GPH. Let's remember Sony with their rootkits. At least Android is open source so it's a bit more difficult to hide.

Back