What Flaws Do You See In The Pandora?

BRIGUY14

Still Fresh
Hey Everybody I wanted to know how could you make the Pandora's hardware capabilities more powerful for bigger programs?
Also, I plan to design my own Pandora 2 (just for the fun of it) but to really correct some flaws that the original Pandora has. (Memory, OMAP processor *There is a new platform for the OMAP, its OMAP 4! So maybe that could go into the Pandora 2*, GPU and etc)

But overall the Pandora is the best there is.

Thanks for everything,

Brian

Hey Everyone I am wanting to build my own version of the Pandora Console but I wanted to get your insight on what you think should be added or changed so that more complex programs can run, multitasking can be better and etc. I wanted to thank those who take the time to answer my questions.

Thanks,

Brian

I want at least a Cortex A9, 512-1 GB RAM, and an FPGA in there. Try keyboard backlighting, too.

EDIT: wtf, I didn't post this...? I actually closed the window deciding to stay out of it. :blink: Oh well, since it's here, I may as well finish it...

----
Srsly? You're gonna try and make a console? Well... I hadn't been on when they started asking for stuff on Pandora, so this might be fun. :D

Ok, here's what I'd like on an ideal portable console:

Hardware:
- at least 1GHz processor (something common, might be nice to have a multi-core processor)
- 512MB+ of RAM (preferably 1GB)
- Internal Storage (8GB would be nice)
- Some kind of discrete graphics chip (also something common, likely OpenGL ES compatible)
- expandable storage (SD cards)
- USB 2.0, at least (3.0, if available)
- WiFi
- GPS with digital compass (option, but nice to have)
- D-pad
- Dual analog nubs or sticks (nubs, probably)
- Full keyboard, including Esc key, Function keys (F1-F12), and num pad accessible via Fn button, like laptop layouts
- L and R buttons, with 4 to 6 face buttons (6 would be nice)
- Resistive touch screen*, WVGA or higher (nice and big, plz)
- Microphone
- Stereo speakers**
- 3.5mm headphone jack with volume wheel (NOT software-based volume control!!)
- Some kind of mini trackpad would be nice for mouse movement.
- Clamshell with flippable screen (to tablet format)

* I know some people will have a problem with a resistive touch screen, but I prefer it for [] reasons:
- Pressure sensitivity
- Some manufacturers can do resistive multitouch
- Can be used with gloves or anything that can touch the surface, not just fingers or conductive surfaces.

** Would prefer speakers to be positioned so that they're still usable with the device closed, if it's a clamshell.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:
:p
(I joke, but this topic has been discussed quite a few times before. I think it'll actually be very interesting to see the evolution of "what would you like in a Pandora 2" threads over the next few years :))

Right, I mean the Pandora guys made this whole thing look so easy, I can definitely see why you'd want to go follow in their footsteps.. :lol:. As to your question, the only thing the Pandora is missing for me hardware-wise is 3G support (which has become amazingly cheap and reliable compared to what it was in 2008), and two pairs of shoulder buttons so you can emulate PS1 games a bit more comfortably. A backlit keyboard would be nice too. The option to run Android as an alternative OS would also be pretty awesome, as it would give ready access to a huge selection of software and stuff like movies and music, although I'd still want Linux to be there in some form.

How serious is this topic, by the way? Is this a real product you're planning to make and sell? Have you done anything like this before?

Isn't this the second topic from the same author along these lines?

If you were even remotely serious, and this was realistic wishes as opposed to what we'd like to cram into the system without thinking about space constraints, then I'd take the current Pandora and:

Use a faster CPU. Base 1Ghz, overclockable to 1.5, would be nice.
Get rid of WiFi and Bluetooth and replace with GPS - Wifi can be added via USB plus we have...:
Get rid of the second SD slot and replace it with a SIM slot with built in sim modem - possibly replace the 1 remaining SD slot with 2 micro SDs
Seriously invest in getting a decent interface working.

Awesome, two almost identical topics in two different areas.

Well done, you're going to be well liked around here.

Oops, missed this one. I think they could stand to be merged, given the similarity. :p

i like these topics, they amuse me, but ive been warned not to participate in my own ways, so ill be kind. the pandora's only flaw is that i dont have one

If you're asking such a question, you don't have the ability to create a "Pandora 2". There are VERY limited options as far as memory/CPU/GPU goes, there isn't really a choice for what you would be using. Not knowing this means you have absolutely no knowledge on what's actually required to put this all together.

Elanzer said:
Not knowing this means you have absolutely no knowledge on what's actually required to put this all together.

sounds so familiar... have we heard this story before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elanzer said:
If you're asking such a question, you don't have the ability to create a "Pandora 2". There are VERY limited options as far as memory/CPU/GPU goes, there isn't really a choice for what you would be using. Not knowing this means you have absolutely no knowledge on what's actually required to put this all together.
He does say he wants to design it "just for the fun" of it. What you say is the very reason none of these "Pandora 2" threads will ever work out in reality, but they still have their merits

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, well just for fun I'll post. I'd like to look at possible modifications for the current pandora rather than a full redesign.

Backlight the keypad.
Increase the RAM to a gig.
Increase the CPU to 1 GHZ (I think the HTC Incredible cell phone uses a mobile 1 GHZ CPU)
Perhaps add another USB port (would be nice for a 3G USB stick in one and a 32 GB stick in the other)

Also I'd like to see a case for one made that has a pouch for the pandora itself, than another zippered pouch with SD and USB compartments, plus room for a power adaptor and a few extras. TV-Out cables would be fantastic as well, for times you may have videos on the system to show to friends. I don't know if an HDMI output on the back is possible, but that would be very sweet indeed.

What are people planning to do with all this extra RAM they're asking for, anyhow?

Runs quite nice I thought, for a handheld at least!

I reckon its extra ram for bragging rights only personally, as Panda specs are out of focus these days according to those with the latest, greatest obsessions over actual need and useage.

Then again how the feck is the Panda supposed to run all my merely essential add-ons in WoW..like my industrial strength hairdryer?

DaveC were gonna need a bigger case!

Back