What Gadgets You Own Are Going To Be Replaced By Pandora?

yappe53 said:
If I get my hands on pandora I'm gonna have a few redundant gadgets, what will yours be?

mine are

- Ipod Touch - I can watch movies on a bigger screen + more storage for songs :)
- DS - runs R4DS cart which plays GB/GBC/DS/NES/SNES/Megadrive - pandora will replace all that
- my laptop - if pandora can run ubuntu decently :)

for sure, the PSP which I use to homebrew (and actually pissed me off due to every line of code is a pain in the ax while(1){compile on pc with no clue at all on the lowlevel calls->copy via usb->run->crash->reboot}), as gps/mp3/camera/emergency_door_remote in the car, I rarely play games on it.
Actually I'm not so nerd to carry my psp along with me everytime but if the pandora is half cool as it seems, every morning before leaving for work (I'm a coder huh) I will make sure I've got keys, cellpone, wallet and Pandora. And if someday there will be sdcard or BT devices with gsm functions, I will retire also the cellphone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine will replace my ancient (second hand) IBM T22 laptop. The batteries on the IBM are fine and they aren't *that* expensive as laptop batteries go on ebay, but the screen is on its last legs. The pandora can also replace a slightly less old toshiba laptop - it has a better spec than the IBM but this time round, the batteries have almost had it (and the batteries for the toshiba laptop *are* expensive!).

The pandora would also potentially replace my Sansa E200 (music player) though I dare not take the pandora to work - the pandora is worth a *lot* more than a Sansa E200, and wouldn't want it to get damaged.

The pandora should also be able to replace a minidisc recorder. Mine won't charge its batteries any more, so it could potentially replace that. Even better if the pandora can run audacity.

If digital TV (DVB-T via USB) can be made to work on the pandora, it could also replace my old (and dying) sanyo vcr+dvd recorder. The VCR part is ok, but the DVD recording part has given up the ghost. Recording freeview shouldn't be hard if the drivers exist.

The pandora will replace my GP2X too, but I hardly ever used mine - I'm no avid gamesplayer.

Wonder if there's any sort of widget that runs via USB and can turn a pandora into an FM radio?

ljones

TaG said:
This thread is distressing. Throw gadgets away? It can't be allowed!
Prophet said:
And since I rarely even play games much anymore
That proves it - this thread is just a hoax and full of lies... ;)

:D

No it's true. I really only play games maybe an hour or two a week, mostly gpSP on PSP lately. Or sometimes some Magic Engine on my eeePC. Usually in bed when I can't shut my mind off.

It's just me being old now. But I still love the idea of videogames and wil always play them to some degree when time allows and I'm not worried about lots of other stuff.

Something like Pandora is perfect for me now, because there are some actual real life uses I have for it (i.e. file storage/playback and notes for work etc.) and it will also be a great entertainment device too. I will no doubt play MORE games when I get my Pandora, if only for a few months until the novelty wears off a bit.

Pandora wont replace these things i just wont use them so often then.

SNES
Megadrive I and II
toshiba T4800CT which i used for DOS games
GBC
Game Gear
a couple of emulators on my desktop pc
some other functions of my pc
mp3 player and handy in some ways
hopefully my dreamcast
not my saturn :(

and i didnt purchase a GP2X cause of the pandora

Already sold my DS, was seeing no use at all. And my PSP went before that, for the same reason.

It'll replace my Sony Clie TH55, which is the only device I carry around other than my phone.

It may replace my GBA SP... maybe... have to see what GBA emulators turn out like!

cools said:
Already sold my DS, was seeing no use at all. And my PSP went before that, for the same reason.

It'll replace my Sony Clie TH55, which is the only device I carry around other than my phone.

It may replace my GBA SP... maybe... have to see what GBA emulators turn out like!
Have you ever tried gpSP 0.9 on PSP? It's practically perfect. For the vast majority of games, it runs 100% full speed no frameskip with sound. Exophase is an amazing coder.

A Pandora port (which Exophase has said he will do) will be even more "perfect."

for me the pandora will only be replacing some basic mobile telephone functions. The rest is completely (re-)new. i am one of those ppl that has been waiting for the ultimate gadget while i could have used one inbetween.

Don't think i'll regret it for a moment though :rolleyes:

Edit: somehow im starting to sound like a "fanboy"... pandora == weird :p

My Computer (maybe)
DS Lite
Zune 4GB
Gameboy Color
Playstation
Friends
Family
Loved Ones
Soul

You know, typical things like that...

Sphinxter said:
There's an LOL! candidate if I've ever saw one! ;)

[keeping on topic...]

Nokia N800
EeePC 4G (Maybe... Depends on a few things yet...)
The MP3 player I have
Mobile DVD player
Nindendo GBA SP (No, I don't even have a DS or PSP... ;))

Interesting question. Day to day, to and from work, I carry:

a) Work MacBook, running MacOS X 10.5
B) Hackintosh Acer Aspire One netbook, running MacOS X 10.5
c) iPhone

Running around town, I carry either:

a) iPhone

-or-

a) iPhone
B) Hackintosh Acer Aspire One netbook, running MacOS X 10.5

So, in the first scenario, to and from work, I can see my Acer being replaced by the Pandora, to play games and read queued email and the like.

In the second scenario, it would not replace my iPhone. But in some cases, it may replace my Acer, when I'm not out and about to do writing. I can't imagine writing a novel on the Pandora. It will be an interesting question as to if the Pandora turns out to be better for watching films on than the iPhone. I've transcoded a lot of my films to h264 AVC.

It would more or less completely retire my Nintendo DS and PSP, though with the exception of a few nice DS games. I haven't touched my PSP in months.

It will replace my laptop (which is a piece of junk). I think I will keep my DS and Ipod,but I might change my mind.

I can,t wait to get rid of this Flipstart! (drivers SUCK! and no updates to fix them AHH!)
also my GP2x hopfully all the hombrew migrates.
and my PSP only us it for Emu anyways.

Any idea if there is still a market for a F200? not sure if i could give it away after the Pandora releases...

EDIT: just looked in Marketplace Looks like some interest still.

Back