What Happened To The Glowing Nubs From The Prototype?

milkshake

Advanced Member
What ever happened to these glowing rings around the nubs?? they do look really slick and smart, I know they might be distracting if overly bright but with lighting controls it would be fine me thinks.

They weren't glowing the prototypes had metal surrounds that reflected the light from the screen

If memory serves, I *think* that the company that provided the samples with the silver bases ultimately decided not to produce them for whatever reason.

Are they really glowing?

I don't think so, It looks more like they are made of a somewhat reflective material, which is actually reflecting the LCD light and color. And they probably discarded that since that would mean a $eparate mould and material for that; and probably more money too.

[EDIT: Woah, this forum is fast! While I was watching the vid and writing my reply, it was already answered]

@milkshake - I'm not entirely sure that having them backlit would serve any particularly useful purpose, myself. :p

no functional purpose no but an atheistically pleasing one yes :)

@Prometheus while I'm at it I noticed that in your photos of your Pandora from your review you have a DSlite play stand does this fit the Pandora comfortably?

An aesthetically-pleasing and battery-draining one, I suspect. ;)

And yep, the stand does fit the Pandora quite well. Since you have to take off the bumpers (which are meant for holding a DS Lite in place, since the stand can hold both that and the original model), you do get left with a couple of centimetres of free space to one side or the other, but if you're using it in conjunction with, say, a keyboard and mouse, with the stand on a table or something else solid and non-moving, this isn't a problem.

Prometheus said:
An aesthetically-pleasing and battery-draining one, I suspect. ;)

And yep, the stand does fit the Pandora quite well. Since you have to take off the bumpers (which are meant for holding a DS Lite in place, since the stand can hold both that and the original model), you do get left with a couple of centimetres of free space to one side or the other, but if you're using it in conjunction with, say, a keyboard and mouse, with the stand on a table or something else solid and non-moving, this isn't a problem.

Well if done with the same LED as the power/wifi/sdcard ones I don't think it would be a big power drain.

ah thats what I was thinking about doing i.e. using a keyboard and mouse on a table or somthing.

i was thinking of getting something like this.

http://www.keytools.co.uk/product.php?productid=16530&cat=258&page=1

or maybe get the ds stand and just the folding keyboard.

http://www.keytools.co.uk/product.php?productid=16514&cat=249&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything on the pandora should be glowing, it should be the keyboard/keypad. kind of like backlit keypads on cellular phones.

I agree, that would be nice. However, I've memorized the keys on a qwerty keyboard, so I should be fine without.

Based on my experience with my Pandora I agree that backlit/glowing keys would be useful (I, too, have the QWERTY layout memorized, but I do not have the fn-mappings memorized and I find myself occasionally tilting the screen to shine light on the keys to read them).

What about one of those USB lambs with flexible "neck". There should be one of appropiate size to plug in the back, and illuminate the keys.

Back