The ever elusive nubs

Perry Cox

Still Fresh
I'm getting restless...the last bit of info we've received regarding the nubs was ED saying that they should be finished with the next test units by the end of the week of Sept 20. That date has long since passed, and The only other news we've gotten was of Craig's truck exploding 2 days ago. So what's really going on with the nubs, and what is Craig doing about picking up the cases? The only thing i could find in the "Craig's latest tweet" thread were people saying that renting a van was too expensive, as well as discussing the best way to inscribe a penis on the top of their pandora. Has everyone lost their heads? Also, does OP team still feel they will be able to deliver all of batch 1 by the end of October? I'm sorry if this post sounds angry, but I'm getting increasingly restless every day we tick past the 2 year anniversary of pre-orders opening. Any good news at all? Please tell me I missed an important thread or something.

Hm, last news on the nubs was in this post from September 30th stating that they ordered a new material (automotive silicone) and that it won't arrive before sometime this week (and it's just mid of the week).

And on this post I wrote that the cases will be ready to be picked up October 5th from Newcastle airport, that was yesterday, even stating that I don't know Craig's timetable and when they will be picked up exactly.

Also, on this post from September 30th I wrote that new 1000 boards are finished so far (nubless), and right now there should be about 1500 finished.

You are aware of the official news section? :)

True, I could post each day that they are still waiting for the new nub prototypes... but would that make sense? :)

Last edited:
ED, do you have any knowledge (e.g. from the previous nubs) about how long it will roughly take to produce the new nubs once the prototype is satisfactory?

ED, do you have any knowledge (e.g. from the previous nubs) about how long it will roughly take to produce the new nubs once the prototype is satisfactory?

Sadly not. We'll try to get them in smaller batches when they start producing though. So as soon as 1000 are finished, we want to get them while they continue producing.

Can't tell if they will do it though.

for all the crap they put opt through, thats the least they could do to make up for the failed dates and bad quality

Hm, last news on the nubs was in this post from September 30th stating that they ordered a new material (automotive silicone) and that it won't arrive before sometime this week (and it's just mid of the week).

And on this post I wrote that the cases will be ready to be picked up October 5th from Newcastle airport, that was yesterday, even stating that I don't know Craig's timetable and when they will be picked up exactly.

Also, on this post from September 30th I wrote that new 1000 boards are finished so far (nubless), and right now there should be about 1500 finished.

You are aware of the official news section? :)

True, I could post each day that they are still waiting for the new nub prototypes... but would that make sense? :)
I sincerely hope that my post didn't offend ED or any of the team. I was definitely in a bad mood this morning and didn't take the time to check my work. I used the first recent nub update I could find and didn't bother looking for anything else. I'm willing to admit my mistake.

In regards to the nubs, I did recall seeing your update a week ago, but was basically upset that the company had not given us any more updates (such as "we got the silicon, and will have the nubs ready for testing by friday). Also, the update was essentially a week ago now, and we haven't gotten a peep from the nub company since. OPT has gotten burned before by factory predictions, and I'm hoping the nub company keeps you more in the loop than the case factory did.

As for craig, well...Craig's famous for not spilling the info we're all drooling for. I've seen many members suggest he rent a van, offer to donate money for a van, but nothing's come of it, at least that we're aware of. I guess I sort of expected him to tweet about his plans for picking up the cases, but since they're not our bottleneck anymore, i guess it doesn't really matter if they sit at the airport for a while. I guess this all boils down to the fact that we can all see the finish line, and we're just waiting for things to fall in to place to cross it.

I really hope that in the coming weeks we'll see "Nubs are finished and in production, shipping 400-600/week, craig has picked up and organized all the case parts for mass production, Boards are being populated and shipped as nubs arrive, mass production has started again". I hope we don't see "nubs still failing, will have next prototype in 2 weeks, cases don't fit together - we have to send them back, board factory closes for holiday week..." You all know how Murphy hates us and this project. I just can't help but wonder what will go wrong next. I REALLY hope i'm proven wrong and that I'll have my pandora in another 3 weeks.

Thanks for answering my questions, ED, and I'll make sure I have some coffee and a cigarette before i come barging in here complaining.

edit: separated into bite sized paragraphs :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As for craig, well...Craig's famous for not spilling the info we're all drooling for.
Really? I thought he was more famous, or infamous for that matter, for making posts that raise more questions than they answer.

<edit>

Craigix said:
I've now finished collecting all the boxes. Exhausted.
Ehhh... that's the exception that confirms the rule :D

</edit>

I really hope that in the coming weeks we'll see "Nubs are finished and in production, shipping 400-600/week, craig has picked up and organized all the case parts for mass production, Boards are being populated and shipped as nubs arrive, mass production has started again".
Who isn't? It just seems very unlikely to me. They are apparently testing the prototype of the new nubs this week, with the luck of OPT the result of this can only be unsatisfactory. That will easily add a few more weeks before the prototypes are ok, after which they still need to be manufactured. I just don't see these nubs finished before the end of October.

Or is it? Maybe he's talking about some other boxes, like boxes of vodka ;)

Who isn't? It just seems very unlikely to me. They are apparently testing the prototype of the new nubs this week, with the luck of OPT the result of this can only be unsatisfactory. That will easily add a few more weeks before the prototypes are ok, after which they still need to be manufactured. I just don't see these nubs finished before the end of October.
Yes, and I think we're all very afraid this will happen...sucks, doesn't it. Let's hope this is the one thing that doesn't get struck with the traditional back luck. If you need me, i'll be over here holding my breath. B)

Off topic: the phrase is "exception that proves the rule", from the original latin meaning of proof which is "to test". The phrase originally had a negative meaning: "the exception that tests the rule and therefore demonstrates it is false", as opposed to the modern meaning that this exception somehow makes the rule more solid. :p

Language evolution is very strange at times.

Or is it? Maybe he's talking about some other boxes, like boxes of vodka ;)
Well if anyone deserves (and probably needs) a box of vodka, then it's these guys. Sheesh, what a ride.

If you need me, i'll be over here holding my breath. B)
Watch out Guybrush, this guy's a pro!

Off topic: the phrase is "exception that proves the rule"
Ah, good to know. Thanks. I just translated it from the Dutch version which translates to the equivalent of to confirm.

Watch out Guybrush, this guy's a pro!
Hahaha! I really need to get that game out again. Must have beaten it 8 times as a kid. I did buy the special edition, but only got halfway through. I'll go ahead and jot that down on my list of things to do this weekend.

No worries, I'm not easily offended ;)

I thought it was clear that we won't get any news before the nubs arrive :)

Off topic: the phrase is "exception that proves the rule", from the original latin meaning of proof which is "to test". The phrase originally had a negative meaning: "the exception that tests the rule and therefore demonstrates it is false", as opposed to the modern meaning that this exception somehow makes the rule more solid. :p

Language evolution is very strange at times.
Actually, no :p

It comes from an English law from the 17th century that goes way back to Cicero (Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis - Exception confirms the rule in the cases not excepted), meaning that something stated an exception proved that there actually was a rule of which this was an exception.

Example: A sign that says "parking prohibited on Sundays" (the exception) "proves" that parking is allowed on the other six days of the week (the rule)

http://www.snopes.com/language/notthink/exception.asp

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-exc1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exception_that_proves_the_rule

http://alt-usage-english.org/exception_proves.html

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/exception-that-proves-the-rule.html

:lol:

Actually, no :p
I want to say "who do I believe more, some random guys on the internet, or my Latin professor (who actually taught me comp sci, not Latin, but that's a different story altogether)?" but against that overwhelming amount of evidence and logic I think I have to accept the internet on this one. I stand corrected. :)

Or maybe I've simply misunderstood all these years. In either case, knowledge updated!

Back