What have you bought recently?

Won a PS4 Slim on eBay for ~$190. My PS4 crapped out (HDMI issues, network connection's in-and-out, eventually wouldn't display anything), and I forgot which email was on that PSN, so it's time to start fresh. The Slim has 5GHz WiFi, so interference from other apartments shouldn't be an issue. Also, I personally really like the small size and design.

Could've gotten a cheap (~$240) PS4 Pro, but I have no need for it whatsoever, considering a PC will be entering my life in the close future, one part at a time. Once it arrives, I'll buy Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind to raid with friends, 1yr PSN+ and, when it comes out, Monster Hunter World.

I also replaced the DOA Zelotes mouse with a Redragon Perdition. My only complaints are the 12 side buttons are kind of small for my thumb, the mouse will "go to sleep" if left alone for more than 3min, and the software to re-program the mouse is Windows-only.

Other than that, it's plug-and-play, comfortable to use, the configs live in the mouse's memory, it has 5 layers to configure, DPI is adjustable (for me, making the mouse usable on higher-res screens without fiddling with software settings), and, while it commands a higher price than what most would be willing to pay for a mouse, it's inexpensive in the gaming mouse world ($36).

Revived my old HP laptop, installed Solus (Linux Steam Integration is beautiful...although I just found out it's in AUR...damn) and decided to catch the very back-end of the Steam Summer Sale. Also, just realized the 3 games I bought are all isometric. Didn't intend to do that.

_Wasteland 2: Director's Cut- This is a game I've wanted for a long time, but never got around to getting. Just gotta wait for it to download. Wallet at ready for Wasteland 3! It also came with a Linux port of the OG Wasteland, but I probably won't play it...not anytime soon, anyway.

_Bastion- Played this game on X360 when it first came out. Fantastic, beautiful game that I can now enjoy on Linux!

_Transistor- Lovely game I played on PS4 a while back. Just hope this laptop can run it.

Got one of the thinkpad USB keyboards. I like it quite a lot more than my mechanical or other, cheap rubberdome ones. And the trackpoint is brilliant of course. The middle click does both paste and scroll. The latter wouldn't work in Debian on the laptop, now it does.
I can sit back on the couch instead of hunching over the table, don't have to put up with hot surfaces and do without a mouse next to me. My neck and overly tense ventral region are thankful.

The small box came in a relatively huge one o_O
20170712_142231.jpg
To my surprise the USB cable bondage was done with a nice little velcro tie
20170712_142616.jpg
Any plans of polymeric manslaughter were thorougly thwarted
20170712_142429.jpg
for completness' sake that's the kb. Don't have bananas at home, so there's the old x60 for scale
20170712_143230.jpg

I also bought a few cheap but surprisingly sturdy stackable shelves for the cellar, which I finally organized and cleaned up good and proper. Next is saving up for a workbench to put in there. And maybe either a hand circular or mitre saw. Until then I have to try my best to not mutilate my desk with the jigsaw. Yay productivity.

On a whim I stopped by an antique shop on the way back from a medical appointment out of town. I knew I wouldn't be able to buy anything great, as the good stuff is always pricey. Anyway, amongst all the great stuff (including a vacuum tube box and a corner with so many things I wanted to buy, like old pocket radios and an 8mm projector) I saw what looked like a pack of tarot cards. I picked it up, and it was the Grand Etteilla (kind of a tarot inspired cartomancy deck rather than a proper tarot deck, but of the lineage that kicked off the whole card reading thing). The box was a bit beat up, but the cards were in nearly mint condition, and it was only $3, so I figured I might as well add it to my card collection.

Well, it turns out this deck isn't too easy to get (at least on this continent) as I thought. I got a pretty good deal. After purchasing it and actually looking at the cards, it seems theymay have been very lightly used, as they were out of order, and one had a small wrinkle (these things are really thick, btw, too thick for handling like normal modern playing cards I think). Still, really great condition for the price. Eventually, while flipping through and looking at the pictures (which are less cartoonishly coloured than those shown in the link above) I noticed that the corners were sharp, which is something uncommon with modern cards (although my favorite historical reproduction deck, which I got a year ago, also has pointy corners, and I found I love them even if they are always stabbing me when I mess with the cards). The lack of a UPC should have been a sign that they were older than the 1990s that I suspected. I pulled out the book, which has more signs of wear than the cards, and found a copyright date of 1969. I am still trying to find ways to narrow down the date since the rounded corner version I linked to above is apparently also dated 1969.

I was going to put some tape on the box to hold it together until I figured out it may be my age or older. Once I checked prices I considered reselling it, but for the moment I am going to hold onto it. Overall, I am pretty pleased with the purchase. Too bad I couldn't buy a desk, telephone, and television I saw.

@matzesu, good pick with that knife. It looks like it has most of the important tools, and none of the useless ones (my favorite SAK has a little hook thing I don't think I will ever have a legitimate need for, but everything else gets used all the time). I have found that kiddos don't seem to take care of them as well as we do (always losing the tweezers and toothpick). Still, I think they are a great tool for kids (and adults).

got new bed sheets, a pillow (my old one was too soft and resulted in neck pain), a hoodie that is not black, and a new bag.
we also got netflix and crunchyroll (trial month). too bad it's semester break and i'll be working full time from the next week on :-||
oh, and i got a new phone because a train scared the hell out of me and made me drop the old one which fell right on the one corner where the case was a little damaged -_-'

78.36.7e.0160718_1_3.png

After several intense rain floods here in the last weeks that did let all drains overflow,
I just hope it finally puts an end to wet feet.

@Klumpen: never liked that product. your own sweat can not leave either. I got mixed results (a nice jacket was now a jacket where your back was all wet after cycling). shoes: meh... animal fat (or whatever that shoeshine fat is, smelled bad though) was as efective and left them shinier. Same goes for tents... you are dry, but less oxigen inside the tent.

Bought a bootleg charger for a MacBook Pro today.

My fiancée took my computer yet left me the MacBook Pro. It's just the charger chewed a hole through itself... however the chargers are.... umm surprisingly cheap?

Like oddly so for something apple? I'm so confused by this.

I wouldn't use a bootleg charger if I were you.. horrible things happen...

What type of macbook pro is it? I might have a spare I can send to you for the price of shipping, you'll just need a duckhead.

Edit: Apple would replace the charger if the damage doesn't look user initiated. Maybe speak with them!

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a bootleg charger if I were you.. horrible things happen...

What type of macbook pro is it? I might have a spare I can send to you for the price of shipping, you'll just need a duckhead.

Edit: Apple would replace the charger if the damage doesn't look user initiated. Maybe speak with them!
2015 MacBook Pro retina 13inch? It uses the 65w magsafe 2 connector. The cable got messed up the lining broke on the inside and it seems to be a common issue. ( all of the used ones I see have this happening) I paid 16 bucks for the unbranded charger.

I just need a laptop working..

Well I just bought something a bit crazy. My ex-fiancée had a Wacom
Cintiq.. it was a great little thing. Well I wanted one for the mac book yet there prices are a bit crazy.

So while I was searching an auction popped up and I bid half heartly. Lawl I'll never win it.

I won it. I won a cintiq companion with an i7 8gb of ram and a 256gb ssd. A normal cintiq costs 800 used. I got this guy for 775 shipped.

That's pyra money, but this guy will be able to do everything I want. (And exists now..not in two months :p)

I found out the freeware program Krita can do animation so that was the major push. I am not a fan of photoshop. I watched it crash on my ex so many times. But Krita jives well with my cheap, I mean open source values xD I am so excited!!

Oh yeah my ex fiancée also desperately wanted one of these she told me she was saving up for one. And I just got one... on a whim! Lol!

Well I just bought something a bit crazy. My ex-fiancée had a Wacom
Cintiq.. it was a great little thing. Well I wanted one for the mac book yet there prices are a bit crazy.

So while I was searching an auction popped up and I bid half heartly. Lawl I'll never win it.

I won it. I won a cintiq companion with an i7 8gb of ram and a 256gb ssd. A normal cintiq costs 800 used. I got this guy for 775 shipped.

That's pyra money, but this guy will be able to do everything I want. (And exists now..not in two months :p)

I found out the freeware program Krita can do animation so that was the major push. I am not a fan of photoshop. I watched it crash on my ex so many times. But Krita jives well with my cheap, I mean open source values xD I am so excited!!

Oh yeah my ex fiancée also desperately wanted one of these she told me she was saving up for one. And I just got one... on a whim! Lol!
No offense my friend, but I thought you needed to get out of debt!

I do but at the same time this was an opportunity I could not pass up. I am not drowning especially now that my ex is gone. ( how to save money tip not having a girlfriend was accurate.) so it'll take me a month or two to pay this off causually but.. where this thing came from shocked me. Shipping was fifteen dollars.

From Glendale Ca
.IMG_1012.JPG

Dreamworks. This computer was mailed overnight from dreamworks!
6243812032_IMG_1190.JPG
I want to get into digital art.. I always have. Was heavily into it five years ago... then my ex came into my life.

The ad was wrong too. They said 256gb ssd it's a 512gb! I am so excited.

@DrHAX nice buy! 512 GB is a lot of space to fill with art :D have fun (and post something in the creativity section if you feel like it)! :)

i will! I am really enjoying the system. Right now I am sorting out updates drivers and trying to resolve a bug in krita. I found an artist who I really love because her art style is how my mind pictures things. My family is supportive of this purchase, and my father is hooking me up with all of microsoft's goodies for free due to the mdsn license. life is looking good.(im going into furry art... just a warning...:p)

i have a few ideas for a couple of games so who knows maybe ill release for the pyra.;)

oh yes another thing i bought was a stack of vinyl records of the bands i like. Booka shade released a new album i heard 3 seconds of a new track and jumped on it. the site also had tame impala so i spent 100 dollars on vinyl, but its going to be nice to just dropnthe needle and free my mind. The albums are Booka Shade Galvany Street. Tame impala: Lonerism, interspeak, and currents.

this discogs site might be dangerous for me !o_O

i haven't smiled this much in years.:D

Edit: just bought a book for Krita. it goes into heavy detail the features of the software and effects. My ex gave up on krita and is struggling with photoshop. my family has given me the go to acquire things for my education and subtract it from the rent. I watched a person struggle, fail and not apply themselves. I have an idea of what to practice what to do, and etc. I learned from her mistakes.

also does anybody have any recommendations for c++ programming books?

Edit 2: Picked up some c++ programming books. One my father recommended and one on game programming for the beginner.

Edit 3: just spent money on some poseable figures for drawing. Yes im going the distanceo_O But i am quickly learning things. these will help with odd poses and such, and are more accurate than google searching:) When everything arrives ill take pictures!!
:oops: Can i blame losing my fiancee for my recent spending adventure? Umm at least im buying helpful things (except for the records those were a I want them NOW impulse buy. But they'll be played... a lot.)

Last edited:

Krita is free software, get it right. You are a just fiancéer.

Back