What have you bought recently?

Ah, so the AES is the arcade system as the acronym suggests. Weird, I didn't suspect it to have the same enclosure as the home system.
No AES is the "home" system although originally it wasn't intended to be something that was marked for the masses, it was intended for rental use and something for hotels and such. The MVS was typically what was at the arcades, it featured the ability to slot multiple game cartridges. However the Games are interchangeable, you can run the true arcade cartridges from the MVS on the AES without any issues.

Edit: Yeah looks like the original MVS cartridges are a tad wider, but the same electrically outside some extra bus logic on the MVS due to the multi-cartridge system.. so I was told wrong. Looks like there are some adapters available.

Edit2: So add one of those to "What have you bought recently"

Last edited:
Something special to celebrate Miku's 15th anniversary on 31st Aug.

n3xGm0fy.jpg

I also purchased the following figure for if the previous one doesn't show up in time. Don't worry it didn't cost me anywhere near as much. :p

hft1ekP7.jpg

X200 RYF laptop. I do not have it yet, though.

It is old hardware, but I only do programming/scripting, e-mail, ebook reading, etc. The only spec I care much about is storage memory, and this one has 4TB. So that is great, allows me to dual boot. I am probably going to dual boot between GuixSD and an LFS system that is terminal only and runs Linux-Libre. A real GNU/LFS system. Doing LFS again after 10 years is going to be fun. I used an LFS system as my main system years ago.

The RYF certification is not perfect. The exception on secondary processors is not good. But as far as Intel goes, there is nothing better AFAIK. It is definitely an improvement over the Gazelle 15 I used before. And System76 only sells laptops with full IME now anyway because they cannot disable the IME on Intel 11th gen processors. I am glad with the improvement.

I think that the only way to improve now would be to get rid of Intel. But I want to use GuixSD and Intel has better software support. Maybe I will move on someday, but not now.

Now I will probably stay with Thinkpads for a while. I was actually thinking of refurbishing them myself, maybe using the Zerocat flasher that is also RYF. Since I am fine with old hardware, I could probably save a lot of money refurbushing and freeing them myself and it seems like a fun thing to do. I go to many thrift stores and flea markets. Though I have little experience dealing with firmware. But it seems easy enough.

When RMS speaks of free hardware he just doesn't want to pay for it. He used to only use donated hardware. What a stoic. To be clear: by purchasing a ThinkPad you are supporting genocide. Nice one.

When RMS speaks of free hardware he just doesn't want to pay for it. He used to only use donated hardware. What a stoic. To be clear: by purchasing a ThinkPad you are supporting genocide. Nice one.
As long as the keyboard is good I'll take one genocidal laptop please.

As long as the keyboard is good I'll take one genocidal laptop please.
I do not know if it is very good mechanically but at least it has ISO layout instead of ANSI. It was cheaper and gives me an extra button and better placement for the "/" key. Also, ctrl+j is the most convenient way to insert enters on both ANSI and ISO when using the command line anyway, so the better Enter key placement of ANSI does not matter all that much. And if it did, I can probably swap keys in software anyway. But I cannot add an extra key in software.

What kind of genocide? How does that work?
Lenovo is a chinese brand, which means they pay taxes to the chinese state and god knows what kind of other backhanders. The most famous bad thing done by China is what they've done to the Uighurs, but I wouldn't call that genocide per se, but who knows what will happen when they invade Taiwan.

Lenovo is a chinese brand, which means they pay taxes to the chinese state and god knows what kind of other backhanders. The most famous bad thing done by China is what they've done to the Uighurs, but I wouldn't call that genocide per se, but who knows what will happen when they invade Taiwan.
The laptop is refurbushed, so Lenovo did not get money from that. I mostly supported a small German company like we do here when we buy the Pyra.

Anyway, where do you guys get your computers from? Virtually any governement is unethical nowadays, for example, the USA just got done murdering out the east under the supervision of Obama, runs a Ponzi scheme so huge it is going to cost lives, and subsidises the meat and dairy industries. How can you get ethical hardware?

Self-sufficiency is the only truly ethical choice, but I will never become self-sufficient with hardware. The best I can do is getting started with freeing and refurbishing old Lenovos myself and to keep using old second-hand hardware, which happens to suit me fine considering I never do resource intensive tasks beyond a little bit of data hoarding.

If the laptop is refurbished, you support the refurbisher, sure, but if lots of people do that he'll end up paying more for the old lenovo computers he sells, which will make them more cost effective for people buying them new if they know they can get more for them when they're done with them. At least that's the theory, and it may not work out like that.

The Xbox Media Remote in the Long Version from 8bitdo, allthought I ditnt found out yet what the Number Keys are for,
The 1 TB Storage Upgrade for the Xbox (looks like these Memorycards for the PlayStation 2, but 999992 mb bigger ^^
And some digital buys:
Fable Anniversery
- Fable ||
The 4 Ebooks from Markus Heitz about the Albae
The 2 Mona EBooks from I.B. Zimmermann , formaly known as the German YouTuber Honnyball Let’s Play ^^

8efcfe1fabdbefbb6b1a6948d95d545a.jpg

If the laptop is refurbished, you support the refurbisher, sure, but if lots of people do that he'll end up paying more for the old lenovo computers he sells, which will make them more cost effective for people buying them new if they know they can get more for them when they're done with them. At least that's the theory, and it may not work out like that
It could well only be me, but I'm failing to understand the point in this particular discussion. I'd have that thought that both supporting small businesses (that probably refurbish other products, and/or provide other services) and helping reducing landfill with old equipment that would otherwise be deemed obsolete are both good things overall?

Back