What have you bought recently?

If the laptop is refurbished, you support the refurbisher, sure, but if lots of people do that he'll end up paying more for the old lenovo computers he sells, which will make them more cost effective for people buying them new if they know they can get more for them when they're done with them. At least that's the theory, and it may not work out like that.
Unless Stallman becomes like Jacob and founds a nation out of his own descendants I see no way that decade old Lenovo Thinkpads can become widely used again.

1652004821173.png

1652004878636.png

Ach! - Stereotypical German ejaculation. Sets the scene. Preshadows the use of Acht later. The writer is a stereotypical German with bad English (i.e. one that does not exist).
"It a short weill until the other acht prepared are will take"
Okay, lets unpack this first clause. It's using stereotypical German word order with the verbs at the end.
It (will take) a short weill until the other acht (are) prepared.
'weill' is mis-spelled, and should be 'while', but Weill is the family name of a well-known German composer, whose first name was 'Kurt', which is a near homonym for the German word for 'short' - kurtz This comes from the Latin curtus, which means 'shortened' or 'short', and the the etymological root of the English curt, curtail, and curtation. Acht is the German for 'eight', one less than nine, which is confused by English speaker with the German negative, i.e. the german Nein is heard as the English 'nine' (9). So by saying you do not want any computers, this is misunderstood as wanting 9 of them.
Second clause: It's using stereotypical German word order with the verb at the end.
"and they more than dry pennies cost will"
'dry pennies' - confusing the German word for 3 with the English word 'dry'. Kurt Weill wrote the music for Bertold Brecht's play, The Threepenny Opera ( Die Dreigroschenoper ). So they are not cheap computers.
Last sentence
"The supplier will not makie messer of it."
The verb is in English order to preserve the pun 'makie messer of it' - 'make a mess of it'. That is, the supplier of the computers will do a good job. But probably the most famous music from the play is "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer" - or in English "The Ballad of Mack the Knife", or simply "Mack the knife".

So it is all an involved selection of bad puns riffing on the German-ness of the computer and the play The Threepenny Opera by Bertolt Brecht with music by Kurt Weill.
Never mind.

(Edit to add): I'll self-nominate for the (Bad) Joke appreciation corner.

I guess it's nice having several real NEO-GEO Cartridges in the collection, but found out there is a 161-in-1 Cartridge with every game I want and a ton more I likely wouldn't... Don't know how legal this is, but someone is selling these in a commercial product without issues...

Last edited:
Aha! I'm curious, who's most likely to understand all that. This German didn't even get the statement, let alone the puns.
Probably an (over) educated English-speaker familiar with the English tropes of a stereotypical German, and familiar with German culture (Brecht & Weill, and the origins of the melody of 'Mack the Knife').

Misunderstanding words, especially homophones, and near homophones is a theme in English-speaking humour: The Two Ronnies: Four Candles

A watch with a built in digital compass so I can tell my arse from my elbow.

I tried it out earlier today. I managed to find my way back home + the strap was comfortable and barely made an indentation on my wrist. Not that things making an indentation on my wrist bothers me because pretty much everything does, including the jumper that I'm currently wearing. It's not due to things being fitted too tightly either it's just my skin being weird.

I liked Casio when I was young so I like Casio now. I have the G-Shock gulfmaster. It has a compass. I used to have one that would plot the barometric pressure. That was cool. I used to have one with a TV remote control. I'd go to the video game section in the department store and sneakily turn off the TV with the Neo Geo. Then I'd swoop in and be totally disappointed that Magician Lord isn't really much better than Altered Beast.

I guess it's nice having several real NEO-GEO Cartridges in the collection, but found out there is a 161-in-1 Cartridge with every game I want and a ton more I likely wouldn't... Don't know how legal this is, but someone is selling these in a commercial product without issues...

If you order that cart give us a review.

Nice! They look pretty clean. What make / model?
Quite a mouthful: Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro.

The Fillenium Malcon was actually printed in fast and sloppy mode without any calibration. I will do that one again. But I was surprised at especially the hollow box. It printed like vase mode without z-seam and looks just gorgeous. I keep playing with it, feels great. Apparently there is quite a lot you can do when designing an object to make it print better. And the sheer amount of settings a slicer has... oh boy what a sinkhole :) The #4 is going to be a cover for helmet mounted exciters (a system that is just a blast - I keep wearing my motorcycle helmet watching movies at home, glad nobody can see me).

BTW that whistle is deafeningly loud, you'd need a third hand to cover your ears while using this.

Last edited:
Back