What Is Open Source And What Isn't

NeonFuz

Still Fresh
I was just wondering, are all the apps in apps.open-pandora.org open source? and where can i get the source if so?

Not necessarily. Anyone can upload an app, regardless of license. Eventually, commercial apps will be supported as well. You'll have to check the details and documentation for individual apps to find out if they're open and where to get the source.

NeonFuz said:
I was just wondering, are all the apps in apps.open-pandora.org open source? and where can i get the source if so?

most all the things released by me are open source, im working on getting all the source available

Last edited by a moderator:
Commercial games raises a question: Once a .pnd is packed can it be un-packed? Or are commercial games not going to use .pnd to be distributed?

second exodous said:
Commercial games raises a question: Once a .pnd is packed can it be un-packed? Or are commercial games not going to use .pnd to be distributed?

It can be unpacked yes, but the binary inside has still been compiled. As for the game data... well the same rules apply as any PC game, for example the developer could just encrypt it.

SomeGuy99 said:
second exodous said:

It can be unpacked yes, but the binary inside has still been compiled. As for the game data... well the same rules apply as any PC game, for example the developer could just encrypt it.
Oh, ok, that makes sense, what is in the .pnd could be binaries, in fact they would have to be, they would never be source.

Also, I'm not worried about DRM, I hope that commercial games on the Pandora don't come with it.

well since PND's can run scripts they could technically compile, but that would be pretty pointless.
I'm probably going to release at least one app that is closed source but I doubt I'll charge for it, and I won't DRM it, it just won't have the source available.

Anyway, DRMs aren't useful since most of them are cracked pretty fast by people that don't want to pay for the software, or want to use it on more than one system.

But I hope we will have good commercial games on the pandora.
(And no silly "farting softwares" like on most smartphones! :angry: )
Because money in the pockets of a dev makes him want to create another quality game :p

Back