What Is Your Worst Fear About The Pandora ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defo said:
Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I just hope it won't delay the delivery date.
I'll bet it has something to do with the same class of anti-fraud measures the PayPal people ran afoul of when they preordered...

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
They have never mentioned it actually, I'll ask them.
Kewl, thanks!
craigix said:
Speaking of incidents our bank manager is so difficult and IMO clueless to the Pandora project we are seriously considering changing banks right now, that may cause some hick ups for the card based orders. More on that soon.
Don't you mean something like:
Well we have a list of all who have already paid, so don't worry?

For gawds sake don't start any hiccups with the orders for people who have already had payment confirmation, a major order hiccup could cause a lot of distrust.

that's why it`s a good idea to use system calls as a programmer, for example you use ALSA`s library or whatever Pandoras OS uses for sound, the system worries about the actual hardware, as long as you don`t re-invent the wheel and insist on calling the hardware directly, you will never know the sound chip has been replaced with an alternative.

Hobbyman

Alas, with this system we'll know about these types of hardware changes before they happen (unlike the GP32 BLU+...), and we'll probably have a good chunk of help fixing them...

My worst fear is that I Open pandora's box and find the hope has died from being alone in there for many centuries ;) As for legitimate fears, I sometimes worry that maybe somebody didn't factor in that the system is going to be used for tonnes of different things and didn't supply enough voltage to handle a full load (aka, GP2X's little quirk with needing to have the AC adapter attached so that tv-out while playing a movie doesn't crash :p Too much voltage drain for any batteries I ever found...), but given that MWeston seems to know what he's doing I'm not too concerned ;)

WarmFluffyUK said:
craigix said:
Kewl, thanks!
craigix said:
Speaking of incidents our bank manager is so difficult and IMO clueless to the Pandora project we are seriously considering changing banks right now, that may cause some hick ups for the card based orders. More on that soon.

For gawds sake don't start any hiccups with the orders for people who have already had payment confirmation, a major order hiccup could cause a lot of distrust.

Some orders might just have to be refunded and then reordered, we can handle it all via email if it does have to be done. It would not effect all orders.

It's a pain in the arse if it has to happen, but our bank has been just about as difficult as possible throughout this project. I'd like to write up a whole blog post about it all but I've been advised against it. More juicy material for the Pandora story when we get around to writing it.

craigix said:
Some orders might just have to be refunded and then reordered, we can handle it all via email if it does have to be done. It would not effect all orders.

It's a pain in the arse if it has to happen, but our bank has been just about as difficult as possible throughout this project. I'd like to write up a whole blog post about it all but I've been advised against it. More juicy material for the Pandora story when we get around to writing it.
I almost didn't even get my Pandora thanks to my (former) bank. I thought it would be convenient to have a bank within walking distance of work. I was wrong. I'll refrain from blabbing about my personal finances on a forum, but suffice to say I will never make that mistake again. I've since gone back to the Credit Union I've been a member of since birth, it's about 10 miles away but they've never done me wrong my entire life.

I wouldn't blame you for switching craig, not at all.

craigix said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
craigix said:
Kewl, thanks!
craigix said:

That is very disheartening. I'm already kind of on edge on whether the shipping deadline will be met and now this? What do you mean 'card' orders? Wouldn't almost all internet based orders be 'card' orders? If you don't mind me asking, what is it that the bank is doing? I can't imagine what would be that bad to have roughly 3000+ people resending their order again. What if the majority of those people took the refund and then decided to just keep the money? Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but you may want to explain it a little better for the rest of us. Thanks.

My worst fear would be a late name change to Pandizmodo, Craigx would suddenly vanish along with his leased Bugatti Veyron and turn up on the news in another country after crashing the Veyron. No wait, it wasn't him driving it was his friend Dietrich who fled from the scene. It was also his gun found by the car.
Further investigation discovers the entire Pandizmodo project was just a money laundering scheme used by the Azbekistan Mafia......

craigix said:
That's pretty much my worst fear, right there...

My big fear is getting shunted to the second batch by some freak mistake.
Second biggest fear is terrible analog nubs.

fade said:
PSyMastR said:
Gruso said:
The community going to shit in a flood of fanboys and demanding pratts.
I feel that somehow that already happened more with the Pandora then with the previous 2. I hope to god its not like the PSP scene.

(touch wood)

Are you coming on to me?

My worst fear is that I will drop it and it will shatter into a billion pieces. That's why I bought some steel cable to attach it to me.

craigix said:

Would the order in which the orders were placed, and number of items be preserved?

Or would it be from scratch where you have the chance to re-order everything? (Lets say, someone ordered one pandora and they wanted two, could they order two in the second order?) If so, it could potentially lead to an overflow of orders beyond, or a significantly lower amount of orders than the allocated stock.

Edit3: Wow, this thread is quickly becoming a Doomsday topic. We need to stop jinxing ourselves.

Worst fear? More delays. I'm kinda expecting some at this point, though, given the track record. Hopefully this is just the silence before the storm, but with exactly a month before shipping is supposed to start, not having seen a completed Pandora yet is very unsettling.

wow
WTF
is this my karma for laughing at PayPal custeez?
Am I one of the first 600? I believe so.
refund my card and charge what now?

How do I pay? You all are gonna lose your asses or decrease profit margins on refunding cards, even moreso since the economics have shit the bed globally vs 30 days ago.
Travelers check? CoD?

How do I pay? Got something you can smoke/vaporize/ingest that was oz vs oz up against gold a few years back. Gold is in the lead but nobody smokes gold.

Fuck banks

Perhaps it's because this is my first time ordering anything (I'm really a brick and mortar kind of guy), but my greatest fear is that I will read the forums for weeks hearing everybody confirming they got their pandoras and I end up never seeing mine because it gets lost on the way (some mix up or someone stealing it). How would I prove I never received it (especially if some crafty bugger on the inside makes it look as though it was delivered properly)?

craigix said:
...I'd like to write up a whole blog post about it all but I've been advised against it....

It concerns me slightly how seldom you appear to listen to advice, Craig!

If you've been advised not to say anything, why on earth do you go ahead and make little hints in the forum that there 'might' be problems with 'some' credit card orders? You're clearly going to get a load of people worked up.

I, personally, have every faith in your ability to deal with the situation. But, as confirmed by the fuss over the Paypal situation, a little bit of bad news is enough to cause a huge amount of fuss and negative feeling. And that was even when all the information on the issue was readily available.

fade said:
My worst fear is that it finally arrives, an it has a stuck pixel right in the center of the screen :(
Same here. If the screen is cracked the answer is obvious. with this you're 'stuck' on what to do.

Pleng said:
craigix said:
...I'd like to write up a whole blog post about it all but I've been advised against it....

It concerns me slightly how seldom you appear to listen to advice, Craig!

If you've been advised not to say anything, why on earth do you go ahead and make little hints in the forum that there 'might' be problems with 'some' credit card orders? You're clearly going to get a load of people worked up.

I, personally, have every faith in your ability to deal with the situation. But, as confirmed by the fuss over the Paypal situation, a little bit of bad news is enough to cause a huge amount of fuss and negative feeling. And that was even when all the information on the issue was readily available.

Rather just have you head in the sand?

No news is not always good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back