What Kind Of Software Will We Have On Launch?

Jake_Turner

Still Fresh
Website
www.myspace.com
Hey all, I first heard about the Pandora in February or so, when I saw a 3D rendering on DCEmu.co.uk . It looked impressive, but at that time it was nothing but proposed specs and a 3D model.

I applied to North Carolina State University for their Computer Science and Engineering programs last year, in hopes of being able to make a custom handheld for emulation and basic computing. I didn't get the GP2X since it wasn't as feature-laden as I wanted, and commercial handhelds just can't cut it. So yesterday, I decided to check up on the Pandora, and man, I'm amazed. The design and specs look/sound awesome, and it seems to have most of what I want in a handheld. I was considering buying a Asus EEE laptop for college this fall, but seeing this, I'm thinking twice about it.

I need something that'll emulate pretty much anything older than and including a PlayStation (SNES especially), along with the basics of PC users: Multimedia, Internet, Word processing and such. I don't think mobile PCs really need the kind of power you can find in a desktop, so this really appeals to me. I'm wanting to buy one in June, so I'd like to know a bit about what I'll have on the first week.

Seeing that it runs Linux, I'd like to know if it'd be possible to use Ubuntu, or at least the Gnome interface, as I'm more familiar with it. Will it have basic apps on launch, like word processing, internet (I would think Firefox will work), photo viewing, audio/video player (seeing the Mplayer video, I'll say yes), and maybe a emulator or five? (I kinda want to ask about a torrent client since I'm on dialup at home, but I already feel like I'm asking dumb questions)

Also, will I be able to use an external keyboard/mouse, via USB or possibly a Bluetooth dongle?

I'm not usually one to pick up new hardware on launch, but this looks too awesome to wait on any longer. I really wish I had started my studies in C++ earlier, so I could take a shot at getting an early unit to code for. But I haven't learned enough to make even a pong demo. <_<

Thanks in advance, and a very big thanks/pat on the back to the developers!

-Jake Turner

I don't think that Ubuntu is really a possibility. As I'm sure you have figured out, this system, although awesome, doesn't have the resources (internal space or ram) to support a full ubuntu installation. There have been a few threads about the user interface so far, and the general consensus is, whatever the ui is, it will be easy to change. I don't know if Gnome is possible, but maybe something much less resource-intensive like xfce would be possible. Also, (i'm too lazy to go look up the thread) i'm pretty sure that firefox or some other web browser has been confirmed. What the developers have hinted at is that it will be debian-based or compatible, which means you have the entire library of debian apps which have been compiled for ARM(EL?). I'm sure there will be something in there to fulfill all of your word processing, torrent, av playing, photo viewing needs. *big breath* The usb port on the back has been officially confirmed as a usb host, with the standard amount of power output. Whether bluetooth dongles will be able to be used is only limited by whether there are drivers available. I'm not sure whether you will be able to use a usb hub, i'd guess it would have to be powered but i don't know. You will definitely be able to use an external keyboard, but as far as a mouse goes, I'm not sure how the interface works so i don't even know if there will be a cursor (seeing as how the screen is a touch screen). Emulators. Everything up to ps1 is confirmed and will (almost definitely) run at full speed if not at launch, sometime very soon after. Also, talking about coding, I don't know if this is confirmed, but in theory you could probably code for the pandora, on the pandora! that's irony or something...
If you still have questions, wait for more answers here or look at http://www.pandorawiki.org/, in particular the FAQ section.

From what I know the SNES Emulator is in the works as we speak. So is A video program and A MAME Emu. I also wouldint be suprised if A Picodrive port would be out on release too.

But like MagicMan said, continue checking the Pandora Wiki for this.

Yeah don't expect every emulator to be ready for launch! One it takes time and two it would be boring if everything was full speed and running on launch day, I like updates everyday with new games/programs/emulators being updated and made faster, this is all part of a community like this, people like to be the first to get things working and to be the best, roll on launch day I want a 50% working MAME emulator!

Check out the size though, it might not be ideal to use heavily as a notebook because of the size of the keyboard.

@MagicMan: Props for best and most detailed answer. I had a feeling that Ubuntu wouldn't be possible, I asked only because I'm such a Linux newbie and Ubuntu is all I know. And yeah, with a touch screen I won't need a mouse, but I'd have to see how web browsing is before I say yea or neigh on that. So if everything for Debian is compiled for this, I can just look for Debian apps on Google and get an idea of what'll be available, right?

@Classic Team: Awesome, I'm really wanting the Pandora for SNES emulation. Star Fox is my favorite, so I'm really hoping for full SuperFX emulation, something the DS lacked. (pretending there were graphics onscreen while the music played just didn't cut it)

@jaycee900: I know how that goes, I got into DS homebrew in summer '06, and it was a fun ride to watch emulators and game ports develop from slow buggy broken crap to complete awesomeness. (the DILI system, that fixed homebrew/flashcart compatibility, was a godsend) I traded my DS in back in October though, and sold the flashcart to my brother. I'm not expecting everything on launch week, I was just wondering what'll be available.

@Tinnus: I know it's small, that's why I asked about an external keyboard. I'd be nuts to try and type out essays or emails on a surface area the size of a Numpad. :D I'm thinking of buying one of those folding keyboards, like ones I've seen for Dell's PDAs.

And I will definitely be checking the wiki every day. Thanks for the answers, guys!

-Jake Turner

Dr.Professor_Jake_Turner said:
@MagicMan: Props for best and most detailed answer. I had a feeling that Ubuntu wouldn't be possible, I asked only because I'm such a Linux newbie and Ubuntu is all I know. And yeah, with a touch screen I won't need a mouse, but I'd have to see how web browsing is before I say yea or neigh on that. So if everything for Debian is compiled for this, I can just look for Debian apps on Google and get an idea of what'll be available, right?
Ubuntu has already been ported to the N810, which is actually less powerful than Pandora. Ubuntu is definitely possible and also very likely. Whether it is desirable is another question entirely. I have a feeling that those who clamor for a full desktop OS don't appreciate how small a 4" screen really is.

Regarding Debian packages: No. No existing packages will be compatible out of the box. They might be "nearly" compatible, but I do not believe you are going to be able to download a Debian ARMEL package and have it work without any modification.

Last edited by a moderator:
magicman5421 said:
I don't think that Ubuntu is really a possibility. As I'm sure you have figured out, this system, although awesome, doesn't have the resources (internal space or ram) to support a full ubuntu installation.
Actually, a full Ubuntu installation will be *very* possible. And that's thanks to Nokia. Nokia is spending major money to have Ubuntu with over 10000 packages recompiled to the ARM processor. All of this for their N-Series Internet Tablets, (The N800, N810, and N810 WiMax Edition.) All of these systems use the same arcitechure as the Pandora - and have the same resolution & size touchscreen as the Pandora. And - they are all much less powerful than the Pandora. So, if they can run Ubuntu (and they can and will) - we can too. Plus, it's open source, so there's nothing stopping you from grabbing it and slapping it on your Pandora once you get one.

And, really, it didn't take a mutlibillion dollar corporation to get it to work - people have been running full fledged desktop software on their N-Series tablets for a long time, including the N770, which is even less powerful than the N800.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back