What Programming Language Is This?

Goity posted on Feb 1 2007 at 08:40 PM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:16 PM said:
If you want to program PICs, then BASIC is fairly useless apart from the "thinking" part. (Ie. find out what code to write to solve a problem).

Didn't really read any books, just looked at peoples code and played with the compiler until something worked :D and I understood what it was doing :) Best way to learn most things IMO.

You may find this website useful: http://cprogramming.com/ not only do they have lots of articles and tutorials, but they also have a forum to ask questions in.
Actually, there are quite a few PIC programming tools which use BASIC.
Flowcharts. Fucking FLOWCHARTS. ARGH.

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on Feb 1 2007 at 08:49 PM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:16 PM said:
If you want to program PICs, then BASIC is fairly useless apart from the "thinking" part. (Ie. find out what code to write to solve a problem).

Didn't really read any books, just looked at peoples code and played with the compiler until something worked :D and I understood what it was doing :) Best way to learn most things IMO.

You may find this website useful: http://cprogramming.com/ not only do they have lots of articles and tutorials, but they also have a forum to ask questions in.
Flowcharts. Fucking FLOWCHARTS. ARGH.
I see you're doing electronics at school?
It's like a bastard child of Logicator

Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 02:09 PM said:
saehn posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:24 PM said:
Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:21 PM said:
Awesome, thank you. So in my reading i have come across alot of assembly language stuff. What is that? Is it just another language and how concerned with it should i be?

Come on, man. If you want to become a programmer, you're going to have to start looking up some things for yourself. ;)

shut up.

wow..... wow...... uhm wow...

Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 08:35 PM said:
Awesome, thanks.
Yeah, don't learn any assembly right now.
If you take on too much you will end up learning nothing. (nothing well anyway)

And C or ASM is still easier than they are :)

"C: The language that combines the power of assembly language with the flexibility of assembly language."

Seriously, though, assembler is basically raw CPU instructions (more or less). C wraps these instructions up in a nice, easy to code, easy to read syntax that is especially suitable for beginners, but simultaneously quite low level compared to a scripting language. While fast, it is possible to eke out more speed coding in straight assembler, but that usually requires a disproportionate amount of effort. Besides, most graphics routines etc are already coded in assembler and wrapped up in libraries, so you can call them from C. You can even embed bits of raw assembler into your C source code.

Yup, but PICs as standard don't support BASIC I believe, you have to buy the far more costly (and much slower) 'BASIC Stamp' and stuff, yeah?

I got a book on C++ and it seems like its only slightly more complicated than basic. So far at least.

"Thinking in C++" will guide you through the depths of hell for free.

And about the PIC: Yeah theres basic "compilers", but the AVR is cooler :p

Back