• 4 GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 GB

• 16 GB

• 32 GB

• 64 GB (probably not in production yet)

• Total voters

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi, this poll speaks for itself. I made it out of curiosity. Happy voting :)

I personally plan to make RAID0 on two 16 GB cards :) This will give me 32GB storage with theoretical speed of 40 MB/sec.

Wasn't it already discussed (in about 3-4 threads) that Raid in SD cards is a useless and unpractical idea?

PSyMastR said:
Wasn't it already discussed (in about 3-4 threads) that Raid in SD cards is a useless and unpractical idea?
I don't remember. If it will not work (why, really?) then I will stop using it and reformat both cards. But at least I'm going to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
cosurgi said:
PSyMastR said:
I don't remember. If it will not work (why, really?) then I will stop using it and reformat both cards. But at least I'm going to try.

It wasn't that it wouldn't work, it was that it was just pointless as there would be no speed gained at all.

PSyMastR said:
It wasn't that it wouldn't work, it was that it was just pointless as there would be no speed gained at all.

OK, I promise to post my benchmarks :) You never know until you make a benchmark, like with bonnie++, or kernel copying or even kernel compilation times (which is HDD hungry too).

cosurgi said:
PSyMastR said:

You probably expect to double your drive performance by a RAID-0.

However, there would not be any performance gains.

1) There are no "seek times" to minimize if you're using solid state.
2) IIRC, We've received word from the team that the two SD ports can not operate simultaneously because they're connected to the same bus. So you'd still be reading the data off one piece at a time. You'd just be alternating cards for no good reason.
Edit : Obviously, if you're determined to try, more power to you.

Also, this poll is missing options. Where do I click if I intend to keep my second port free, so it's usable as a removable media drive? (For pulling pictures off my camera, etc.)

VRAndy said:
Also, this poll is missing options. Where do I click if I intend to keep my second port free, so it's usable as a removable media drive? (For pulling pictures off my camera, etc.)

OMG! I forgot!

To a moderator: Please add options "Nothing" in case if someone wants an empty SDHC slot. edit: (or "Empty") :)

cosurgi said:
Hi, this poll speaks for itself. I made it out of curiosity. Happy voting :)

I personally plan to make RAID0 on two 16 GB cards :) This will give me 32GB storage with theoretical speed of 40 MB/sec.
I think a big problem here is what if you accidently pop out one of the SD cards and break/corrupt your RAID?

Yeah, and whilst you're at it add "Whatever I happen to have lying around because I can't afford any new SD cards right now" or "It depends exactly when my Pandora gets delivered and if the cards have come down in price by then". The UK motor industry and all of those who supply it seem to be well and truly fucked thanks to all those city bankers...

cosurgi said:
To a moderator: Please add options "Nothing" in case if someone wants an empty SDHC slot. edit: (or "Empty") :)

Too many votes now for another option to make any sense.

RAID0 *may* make a small improvement, as you could request data from the second card whilst waiting for the data from the first card to complete. In practice however, I expect there to be very little difference. Feel free to prove us wrong however.

I voted for the 64GB in the second slot since I plan to have a 16GB stick in my first slot (already ordered it) and will, for awhile at least, switch in my 1GB stick from my camera.

As whether to RAID or not to RAID, unless there is a notable gain from it I doubt I will. Don't know enough about it to bother reading into it yet, and suspect I may not bother with it until I have a need and comprehend it a bit better.

I am probably just going to get 2x 16Gb, but depending on how far the 32Gb prices drop, I may get 2x 32Gb or even 32Gb + 16 Gb.

i think one 16gb ... or perhaps only one 8gb for now.
Id love to have a stock of tv/film/music on there but ill tend to stay a step or three behind the current limits as that seems to work out well value for money wise.

32Gb for the main apps, games, etc.
8Gb for experimenting with linux, or I might use it just for dosbox.

Might get a 64Gb card once they come out and drop to a reasonable price.

Well I already have my 16GB Class 6 SDHC card for needful things (alternate OSes, sw, games, etc) and I've ordered a 32GB Class 4 SDHC from the OpenPandora shop for music, movies and general data that I'm unlikely to need to keep the Pandora running/useful.

I think that'll work out well. I'll put my crappy mp3 player away and use my Pandora for nigh on everything. :)

P.

I will have a large card (currently 16GB) in slot 1, and leave slot 2 free for the cards from other devices (particularly the camera). For me, that's the major point with having two slots: One can be used for "permanent storage" while leaving the other free for other in-and-out cards. Devices with one slot can be a pain to use, as you have to remove the card that is there. What do you do if that card is a) actually holding the application you're running, or even your whole OS? or b:) the card you want to store the data from the other card on?

So, in short, I clicked on the 16GB option for the first slot and didn't click any of the rest, and got an error message! :D

Right now on Newegg, I could buy five 16gig SDHC for the price of one 32gig SDHC. I would be willing to wager a fair amount of dough that that price disparity will not become negligible until well after I get my Pandora... regardless of the delays in delivery :)

I'll be grabbing a couple 16gigs for my games and movies. Easy to swap one out if I need the slot for a camera card or some such.

P

Back