What should my boot.txt look like?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Setting up to run 1.51 on mmcblk0p1 which is formatted as EXT4 and labeled PandOS

I'm trying to figure out what my boot.txt should look like - and haven't gotten it right yet.

I did a little searching, and I can't seem to find this. Does anyone know where it is at or have their's handy?

Thank you.

Thank you - that explains a lot.

Now I'm going to hit the four physical partition limit.

Right now I have four partitions on a 128GB card:

PandOS <- Operating System in 2.0GB EXT4

PanData <- PND files in 20GB EXT4

/swap 2.0GB

PanMedia <- MP3 files, movies, pictures in 100+GB EXT4

Hmm. I may just have to step back the PandOS partition to be EXT2. Ideally I should probably start over without a physical swap partition and use a swap file instead. Hmm...

Thank you for letting me know I was trying to do the impossible though - that can be a frustrating task.

Does the boot.txt have to be on the -first- partition?

I just re-read that again and realized I could ditch the dedicated /swap partition, make it EXT2 - put boot.txt THERE and reference it back to the EXT 4.

Cool - I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks!

My advice is fat and only fat for every sd you may ever use for anything.

If you really need something else because fat is somehow not supported. Ext2 is THE alternative.

Journaling is a killing feature for sd. The manufacturer's optimize the internal sd algorithm for fat.

Maybe you're lucky and it makes no difference but the chances are not bad to loose sd lifetime with ext3/4/$RNDjournalFS

Umm yeah paranoid shit :p Stick with ext2. ext2 got the best (tool) support and journaling rips you some lifetime for sure.

fat somehow wants to trash everything by repairing lost clusters or killing the whole partition. operation successful patient dead.

Just my old cloudy experience. But I didn't count the windows 9x/me reinstalls caused by fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any chance of future releases of the bootloader being able to work directly on EXT4?

I ended up just re-making the device as:

mmcblk0p1 EXT2 PandOS 2GB

mmcblk0p2 EXT4 PanData 20GB

mmcblk0p3 EXT4 PanMedia 100+GB

mmcblk0p4 /swap 2GB

Then I used the default ext2 boot.txt from the wiki Notaz linked to above.

Trying to bootload from one EXT2 partition then flip to an EXT4 for the OS proved to be more than I've got time to figure out.

Back