What software are you using on your pyra.

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
The debian repo is quite big and full of little or big gems, but sometimes you have no clue what you are looking for or you just dont know of the existence of a certain piece of software. So how about a thread to tell what you've installed on your pyra.

Lets keep this thread simple. What software have you installed and what type of software is it, and is it usable on the pyra.

I'll start

Audacious - a very robust audioplayer it works and I use it to scrobble to last.fm when I listen to music
LTris - simple tetris clone
OpenMSX - MSX emulator seems to work okay I run it with gl4es (triggers an audio bug quite often)
Firefox ESR - Internet browser works fast enough but crashes once in a while on the pyra
xinput - easy commandline tool for checking if you inputs work (as tipped by b-zar)

Looking forward to see what everybody else is using.

Last edited:
openjdk - Java developers kit using the open jdk
imagej - Java image processing workhorse for microscopists works only if you run it with the flag -x 1000 (which sets the memory to 1000 MB, it default tries to run it with 4000 and than it gets an heap space error) however texts in the gui are to small to show up it works otherwise.
R (r-base) - The R statistical programming language used a lot in all sorts of (data) science, just works, also nice to plot stuff. (has a rather high learning curve)

It's normally just called 'firefox' as opposed to 'firefox-esr'. You sure it's not there?
I think if you have firefox-esr installed, it creates a 'firefox' symlink to 'firefox-esr'

openjdk - Java developers kit using the open jdk
imagej - Java image processing workhorse for microscopists works only if you run it with the flag -x 1000 (which sets the memory to 1000 MB, it default tries to run it with 4000 and than it gets an heap space error) however texts in the gui are to small to show up it works otherwise.
R (r-base) - The R statistical programming language used a lot in all sorts of (data) science, just works, also nice to plot stuff. (has a rather high learning curve)
java! a language designed specifically for low-resource / embedded devices!! why didn't i think of that ... :$

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Midnight Commander for file browsing

Vivaldi for web browsing

Telegram for messenger (although the one in the debian repo is very out of date)

mplayer for music and videos

Remote Viewer for using SPICE for connecting to my virtual machines

Drastic, mGBA, and Mupen64Plus for games

Also PysolFC

I tried TeamViewer but it only has a host for armhf, that seemed to work okay but i needed a client so I deinstalled it.
Then I tried Anydesk that didnt work because of some missing libraries, didnt investigate further.

Both software packages I wanted to use to access my work PC from my pyra, would have been a cool feature, but no succes.

I tried TeamViewer but it only has a host for armhf, that seemed to work okay but i needed a client so I deinstalled it.
Then I tried Anydesk that didnt work because of some missing libraries, didnt investigate further.

Both software packages I wanted to use to access my work PC from my pyra, would have been a cool feature, but no succes.
Have you tried VNC, like tigervnc.

I'm using xrdp for the other direction.

Steps to install:
sudo apt-get install xrdp
ufw allow 3389

On login i got an error "Could not acquire name on session bus", i had to remove "dbus-user-session" (sudo apt-get remove dbus-user-session).
I could not see any disadvantages by removing it so far.
After removing i got rdp access and as bonus i can access my file system on windows pc.

Back