What Software Is Missing For H264 Decoding?

Usoppe

Still Fresh
Hello,

I just try to understand what the problem exactly is. The OMAP3 is powerful enough (with its decoder chip) to decode H264 - you can see many examples on You Tube for example.

So what software is missing right now so I cant use decoder like these?
http://www.picustech.com/h264_main_high.html

What softwarepart exactly need to be done so decoding of H264 is "enabled"?

Assumed that decoding is possible now: Is it somehow possible to decode High Profile H264 Video (Level 5 but NOT HD, more like 800x480 and lower, 25fps) on the OMAP3 in an acceptable time? At real time perhaps - there was a very interesting video on youtube i cant find anymore ?

Strange questions for you perhaps, but I just want to know these...

Thanks for any info.

The kernel needs to be updated to give us access to the DSP. After that, nothing: the codecs are already written and should work just fine on the Pandora.

I don't think the decoders will be restricted by any setting, in the sense, hardware decoders are limited due to the fixed hardware and may not support all the features, and the decoders of graphic cards are limited by its memory (watch out not to exceed 5 reference frames at 1080p).

If anything the dsp may play 1080p content slowly, but play it after all.

I seem to recall Vlc gained support of hardware decoding for some dsp, and Texas Intruments' codecs for gstreamer where available at the Angstrom repository almost since the beginning, so programs support is there, so as said, we only need a kernel update.

Sadly, the cpu is still not powerful enough to do 800x480 @ 25fps high profile while overclocked at 1 ghz, so for now, either use a lower profile, or use a simpler codec.

720p definitely seems to be good on stock BeagleBoard (using the same SoC as the Pandora). Lots of links and info and a youtube video or two. No fear their. 1080i/p seems to be beyond it's limits though, or at least I can't find anyone indicated success, but it might be possible when overclocked to 1Ghz.

Evil Dragon. He's working on it. You can't just install a new kernel because so much relies on it that even a little change might break things. Gotta fully test it, and he's probably got a fair bit on his plate right now.

Actually that DSP stuff can also be installed on the old kernel with some work, it's not really an outdated kernel problem, but more like no one wanting to do it.

And I'm not working on the kernel and never was... notaz did almost all of the kernel work, I'm no coder. I just try to betatest and work on scripts and update OE recipes.

notaz said:
... but more like no one wanting to do it.
Roll on the day I get a pandora in my sweaty hands - there's just soooo much to do! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
notaz did almost all of the kernel work
Opps, sorry notaz. Credit where credit is due!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back