What the P1 got right, what it got wrong

3DS and DS both charge while they're off...
Technically these devices are never really fully off so long as there's some charge left in the battery. Whether or not the CPU is running any code while it's charging is anyone's guess. But it really doesn't matter.

The small 800x480 resolution was a big wrong, not a right.
Man, I love reading this from someone who uses their 3DS to browse the web.

It doesn't matter when Pandora shipped, doing so with a > 800x480 screen would have been impossible. And if you think ekianjo is saying that newer hardware shouldn't use improved components then you're totally misreading him.

There were design decisions Pandora made that became dated (even by the time it first started shipping) and there were design decisions that were mistakes. It goes without saying that a successor would use much newer hardware with higher specs. Discussing that or how dated Pandora is is not the point of this thread. It's to talk about lessons learned in design decisions that go beyond using parts available at the time.

But at any rate, you're wrong that 720p screens were prevalent when Pandora preorders were first fulfilled in May 2010. iPhone 4 didn't come out until late June. Its retina display was a big deal and even that wasn't 720p. It helped kick off the aggressive resolution wars, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were design decisions Pandora made that became dated (even by the time it first started shipping) and there were design decisions that were mistakes. It goes without saying that a successor would use much newer hardware with higher specs. Discussing that or how dated Pandora is is not the point of this thread. It's to talk about lessons learned in design decisions that go beyond using parts available at the time.
Exo, you are always pointing out the invalidity of other's arguments. 

I totally agree. Anyone can stand there and say pandora has some dated parts, but this is not constructive criticism. 

I think this thread can be organised better. 

To ensure a project's succeed, there are a few things that should be done before hand. Each have their own sub-categories.

1. Managing cost. Underused parts and dated, unusual components,  should be cut. SOCs that have integrated functionalists can be considered. That being said, P2 should keep that amplifier, it's nothing short of a work of art. 

2. Managing complexity. Without saying much, assembling and repairing should be as simple as possible. (Even if modular design is not possible, reduce the number of parts will save lives.)

3. Managing consumer expectations. Cortex A15 is not going to make Ps2 emulation viable, P2 is not likely to run windows 98 flawlessly. These things are good to remember. There is no way that this generation chips can deliver that much performance. So, no point in sacrificing either battery life or capital on the top ranged hardware. (that's not saying P2 shouldn't use anything more advanced). Top of the range hardware means less options. 

4. Ensure mass production. From my experience, anything produced in less than 500 units a bunch are expensive. Mass production is the key to profit. Though pandora is a niche product, that doesn't mean it can't appeal the masses. More and more SOCs nowadays have 3G support, so selling P2 as a super smart phone is not that much of a stretch. (if dialing someone with the keyboard is easy enough). 

If ED can come up with some genius plans, P2 can certainly gain enough capital via crowd-funding sources like kickstarters and such, so at the end of the day, everyone will get cheaper and better products. (Quantity is the key, because manufacturers in China are not willing to sell things in small numbers, and they will delay the production as much as possible while spending the money to speed up their other products for more important customers. )

800x480 screen is definitely a right, larger resolution would probably have been too much for the CPU/GPU.

16:10 screen is a right too. I just hate 16:9 screens on computers.

I don't care that the pandora turns on to charge, my phone and my tablet does too… and I almost never turn off my pandora anyway :D

You seems to forget that the pandora was released in 2010, but it was designed in 2008 (or sooner, can't remember). So the only way to use "recent" hardware would have been a complete redesign of the pandora. That would have made it even more late.

Last edited by a moderator:
These have already been said, but once again:

• This is about the design decisions made back in 2008. 800x480 was one of the highest resolutions available at the time.
  • All 'smart' devices power on to charge. Many have a minimal OS that only manages the charge controller, but they are still ON

Back