What The?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yosh64

Website
yosh64.redirectme.net
hey

Don't these two posts contradict each other?

craigix said:
Hello everyone, Right we were going to mention this somewhere so it may as well go here.

The price of batch two will be $339. That will be converted in to pounds/euros when we are ready to take orders for the second batch.

So there you go, price fixed, in dollars, to $339 (ex taxes) which includes the upgraded RAM and NAND.

This is real bleeding edge tech for a very low price when compared to similar machines, we have done everything we can to get the price as low as we can - but one thing we won't drop is quality - we won't use chinese factories, cheap parts etc. almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America.

What does that mean for you? It means if anything goes wrong it's all guaranteed and it meets safety standards. It also means high quality not Chinese PMP style quality.

We have learnt that the reason Chinese stuff is cheap is because it IS cheap and nasty - So we could all save $80 but get a device which is made to the lowest standards or pay a little more and get something high quality.

6 months from now you will be happy we did that I hope :) and the extra cost will have been worth it.

I just don't want to deal with a GP2X First edition fiasco again. So we won't be running to the cheapest factory any time soon.
Chip said:
I'd like to clear up a couple mis-facts in this thread. The Pandora is being manufactured in Asia from primarily Asian components. The US dollar is still the standard currency for manufacturing projects like this and is accepted by all manufacturers / parts distributors on that continent. The retail price of the Pandora has to be a function of the cost of manufacture. If the manufacturing cost is set in USD, then the retail price must be set in USD.

Exchange rates go up and down, and this may mean that the price in a particular region might seem a great deal one day, and a ripoff another day. But what everybody needs to understand is that Openpandora is not a charity. They have to pay their bills, and the only way to do that is to sell Pandoras for more than what they cost to make. If you think it's too expensive, then don't buy one. Don't bitch about how "unfair" it is, or how it will "drive away customers", because those things are irrelevant. The only relevant thing is not going bankrupt, because if Openpandora goes out of business, there won't be any more Pandoras at any price.

Hmm, I'm also sick of seeing all these locked threads :X. I mean, I think it's okay to lock a thread if people start abusing each other and what not, but not because someone doesn't like the discussion or whatever. Most noticeably the one about conservation of power, personally I was interested in (I forget who, will do an edit) had to say, but the thread was locked :\.

edit
I should mention that I am under the impression that it is Chip who locks alot of these threads, and I think they do well, and know they are only doing what they think is best, but sometimes I wonder if locking was neccessary.

another
Bah, I feel a bit out of place, cause Chip does so much to help keep these forums and community on track, well this goes for other mods also. But yea, I just felt like I had to mention something about the locking of threads.

and another
Hmm, looking at the THE LIST OF THINGS YOU DON'T DO thread I see alot could go under "mindless arguments/flamewars", but nevermind.

and another...
BTW, I understand that some threads are locked to conserve information, or rather make important information more accessible.
(I thought I would strike this stuff out, cause this is not the purpose of the thread)

edit
Chip, sorry to cause any hassle to ya. But feel free to delete this thread after ya sort out this out. I am starting to think making this thread wasn't such a nice idea, I should know that you will resolve this right away once you are aware of anything, I probably should have PM'd ya instead.

Hmm, actually at least it might make some aware of the issue in the mean time, incase they only seen one side of the story and think everything is being made in China or whatever.

cyas

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, god damn that signal to noise ratio, we better close any threads with that... unless its one praising us.

Out of the two quotations in the OP, I'm more inclined to believe craigix, as he's the one with the hands on the reigns more, so to speak :)

Don't mean to be a jerk, but this was already covered in another, unlocked, thread
'Where Is The Pandora Being Manufactured?'

I too am curious as to which is the correct statement (presumably Craigix since he is the only one who actually has the knowledge, and Chip was just stating what I think all of us thought prior to Craigix's post.). However, THIS post topic you created is too generic to be useful. Perhaps you should bump the other until we get confirmation...

Chip will have to answer for the claims in that post to one degree or another (seeing how they contradict with development), but I have not had a problem with him closing threads so far. Most of the discussions have gone at least slightly off topic for a lengthy period of time and / or turned into a sea of flame or useless debate.

Speaking of which, these mod attack threads are getting a little silly. I've made incorrect or uninformed claims before, just like the rest of us. -Everyone- makes mistakes, you shouldn't single Chip out just because of his forum status.

hey

ingrin said:
Don't mean to be a jerk, but this was already covered in another, unlocked, thread

I too am curious as to which is the correct statement (presumably Craigix since he is the only one who actually has the knowledge, and Chip was just stating what I think all of us thought prior to Craigix's post.). However, THIS post topic you created is too generic to be useful. Perhaps you should bump the other until we get confirmation...
I started this thread because I thought it was important for this to be cleared up, and so derseves it's own thread. But yea, I actually already quickly looked at that other thread, and didn't even notice that post you refer to, so I don't think that post in that thread about something else is enough to clear up this situation.

AireTamStorm said:
Chip will have to answer for the baseless claims in that post to one degree or another, but I have not had a problem with him closing threads so far. Most of the discussions have gone at least slightly off topic for a lengthy period of time and / or turned into a sea of flame or useless debate.

Speaking of which, these mod attack threads are getting a little silly. I've said incorrect or uninformed claims before, just like the rest of us. -Everyone- makes mistakes, you shouldn't single Chip out just because of his forum status.
Sorry, I don't mean to attack anyone, but it was just getting to me, and I understand and agree with why various threads are locked, just not all. So I thought it might be worth mentioning something, even if I am over reacting. I have no idea if anyone thinks alike, but I thought it might be worth some attention incase it is something that conerns others. But yea, I think Chip and the mods do very well, I just thought I would mention something about it.

Especially in situations like this, where that thread was locked with what I think are contradicting statements, and so noone was able to directly resolve the issue, but rather this thread was made. I hope I make some sense :), hehe.

edit: BTW, I think there is quite likely some sorta basis to what Chip said.

cyas

yosh64 said:
hey

ingrin said:

I started this thread because I thought it was important for this to be cleared up, and so derseves it's own thread. But yea, I actually already quickly looked at that other thread, and didn't even notice that post you refer to, so I don't think that post in that thread about something else is enough to clear up this situation.

cyas

You are right, I'm sure the definitive answer should be posted in a thread entitled 'What the?' rather than one with a long, drawn out, descriptive title ;)

It does deserve to be cleared up, of course, but unless Craigix outright lied or misspoke, I would assume his statement is the correct one. Chip is not with the Pandora team on any official capacity - although I personally think they should bring him on board to funnel this sort of info.

I've got some ideas that make the two posts not mutually exclusive. Many of the GENERIC parts are of chinese origin. Things like the volume wheel, power switch, etc. are probably of chinese manufacture. Custom things like the PCBs, cases, and nubs are probably being manufactured in the US. This is where much of the cost of the Pandora lies, hence the price being fixed to the USD. Finally, all the components are assembled into the final Pandora in a factory in China.

THIS IS ALL SPECULATION. It could account for the two (seemingly) contradictory posts, though.

ingrin said:
You are right, I'm sure the definitive answer should be posted in a thread entitled 'What the?' rather than one with a long, drawn out, descriptive title
Yea, I would change the title if I could, I was just in a rush :\, and usually you can change the title of threads later.

But yea, I saw that other thread as being about something else, and so made this thread.

edit
I feel like we are a bit off topic here, that is we are talking about how I should have gone about this thread, or if I should have even made it, rather than resolving the issue.

cyas

yosh64 said:
Hmm, I'm also sick of seeing all these locked threads :X. I mean, I think it's okay to lock a thread if people start abusing each other and what not, but not because someone doesn't like the discussion or whatever. Most noticeably the one about conservation of power, personally I was interested in (I forget who, will do an edit) had to say, but the thread was locked :\.
Have to agree. There are often pertinent follow-ups to ask. Why should they be locked unless they degenerate into uncivility or severe off-topicness?

I would go with what the people closest to the project tell us. The people spending the time and money making it happen are the only ones who know for sure what is going on. But to be honest, what Chip said makes sense as well.

I hope there is a thread soon addressing all the current issues with CC payments and any details of the manufacturing that are allowed to be made public.

hey

I thought I better say something incase I have caused any offense to Chip and the mods.

I realise that I am very much jumping on the back of Chip, that is pointing out something that I thought might have been an error in their post, but I hope they don't see this as anything personal, as I appreciate what you and the mods do for the community.

I have also mentioned about locking of threads, which is a real issue to me at times, and I do understand that this is all done for lots of reasons. So yea, I feel out of place mentioning this, but I thought they should know of this concern.

Looking back, I think it must be tough to be a mod at times, because sometimes you lock a thread because you see the discuession getting far out of hand and/or offtopic or whatever, and then you get some folk upset like me for a short period who might not realise or foresee an issue in the discussion or whatever, hehe. Anyhows I dunno.

cyas

PoisonedV said:
yeah, god damn that signal to noise ratio, we better close any threads with that... unless its one praising us.
yes, why not let's lock all threads - it's going to be nice and quiet afterwards!

seriously though, i too have a feeling that thread locking has been a little excessive recently. i hope our mods relax a little and regain their patience to wait for threads to reach their natural end. i don't think that our community needs quite that much guidance - however reasonable it may be...

yosh64 said:
hey

Don't these two posts contradict each other?
Hmm, this is just pure speculation from my part, but...

"Cheap parts from China" does not neccessarily equal "Slightly less cheap parts from Thailand" or even "Expensive parts from China". Of course, could be any asian country manufacturing electronics, doesn't have to be Thailand or China. So both posts are probably correct.

Wertigon said:
"Cheap parts from China" does not neccessarily equal "Slightly less cheap parts from Thailand" or even "Expensive parts from China". Of course, could be any asian country manufacturing electronics, doesn't have to be Thailand or China. So both posts are probably correct.
That doesn't quite work when you distill it down to these two phrases:

"almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America."

and

"The Pandora is being manufactured in Asia from primarily Asian components."

This discussion leads nowhere.
MWeston, the main hardware designer lives in Canada, that is the starting point.
OpenPandora first wanted to manufactor in Korea, the Koreans didn't understand the situation.
They tried it in China, it was the same.

There are manufacturers and distributors. Where you buy is not necessarily where the descrete parts have been produced. Something made in Canada or wherever might still have it's origin in Asia, that's how it works in a globalized world.

Question answerd, now lock :lol:

Edit:
Give Chip the chance to answer. He won't be online the next few hours. It's still night in US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back