What Ui Toolkits Are Going To Be Available

xlib :p

probably gtk since matchbox is generally gnome centric even though it only requires xlib i think

mono is a gui toolkit?

FLTK and wxWidgets are also some others

Mono has Windows.Forms, but is mostly only used for ports. GTK# is king among open source apps.

I would expect GTK and Qt4 by default. Qtopia runs over X11 now, so it basically comes with Qt4.

FLTK is small enough to statically compile.

wx is bad and obscure enough to not matter much, but since the linux backend is gtk, it's a rather small library.

How about: Whichever are ported to the ARM platform? Or do you mean, available out-of-the-box?

Thanks for the info

I never cared for wxWidgets
GTK is the most important
I really hope QT4 makes it, but wasn't sure; it's my fav to program in
MONO does play an important role, though I've never had to use it

EDIT: I mean out-of-the-box or with official addons/updates

I'm fairly certain Tom Cooksey mentioned QT would be available, and I think GTK is a given at this point. Mono is unlikely for quite awhile as it's not even fully functional on a desktop and would likely run rather slow on the Pandora.

Doesn't Pidgin run on GTK? IF so, then I think its already in the pandora (unless this version of pidgin is a different front end for libpurpl.

PSyMastR said:
Doesn't Pidgin run on GTK? IF so, then I think its already in the pandora (unless this version of pidgin is a different front end for libpurpl.
There's Finch, but that's quite obviously CLI.

Last edited by a moderator:
CyruzDraxs said:
Mono is unlikely for quite awhile as it's not even fully functional on a desktop and would likely run rather slow on the Pandora.

Mono is surprisingly good now, I've recently used it commercially on a small embedded system (Geode based, clocked at 400Mhz) and was really impressed with how well it worked. WinForms is still a little ropey in places but good enough in most cases. I'm certainly expecting to be able to develop using C# on the Pandora with an SDL wrapper or GTK#.

Back on topic, I'm intending to port the little known but truly superb JUCE.

Lozrus said:
Back on topic, I'm intending to port the little known but truly superb JUCE.
Looks really nice, but I'd like to see some benchmarks for performance. I tried to go digging for some, but... well, it's pretty nasty out there on the 'net. :p

javaJake said:
Looks really nice, but I'd like to see some benchmarks for performance. I tried to go digging for some, but... well, it's pretty nasty out there on the 'net. :p

It is probably not fast, it supports sub-pixel positioning, antialiasing and I think it renders to an unaccelerated framebuffer (not sure if that's the case for all platforms). Having said that, it's always been fast enough for me and I've used it on systems that were probably much slower with less RAM than the Pandora.
The main reason that I want to port JUCE is that it has superb audio support and I want to try to make a small pocket sequencer. It is also one of the best examples of clean OO design in C++ that I know (IMHO).

Back