What Was This Thing?

gibberish

I know this is a ridiculous long shot, but it's worth a go I suppose.
I went to the gym the other day, and behind the counter at reception i spied a little handheld thing that's been bothering me ever since.
Here goes a description:

- it was a clamshell device, about the same size as a ds lite but narrower and maybe slightly deeper.
- it had a qwerty keyboard on the bottom half, with a dpad on the bottom right hand side and some other buttons along the bottom.
- the keyboard had largish spaces between each key, and the keys were black (the background was white).
- the dpad was white and seperated from the keyboard (ie not integrated with it).
- the top half had an lcd screen which was unfortunately switched off. it was probably 4" or 4.3".
- there were coloured stickers all around the screen which looked like they came on it from the shop.
- it looked as though it had some japanese/chinese writing below the screen, but it was far away and i might be wrong. (its not a sharp netwalker - smaller than that).
- it was very petite and modern looking, so im assuming its pretty new. couldnt have been much more than 1.5cm thick when closed i dont think.

That's all I can tell you. I wanted to ask what it was but there were loads of people behind me and I didnt want to hold them up for a stupid question like that. Wish I had, because it looked sweet. It could have just been some crappy PDA or something, but I'm intrigued now and really want to know what it was.

Anyone got any idea?
Ta

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/19/irivers-d5-electronic-dictionary-makes-us-want-to-learn-korean/

Sounds like some sort of e-dictionary device

could well be, one of the people at reception was foreign (but i think they were spanish or something).
it wasnt the iriver thing you linked too, but not entirely dissimilar either.

"E-dictionary" is just a name really, these days they're pretty much full PMP/PDA/MIDs.

This link might be better: http://www.engadget.com/tag/electronic+dictionary/ :)

I really love the form factor of the nice e-dictionaries. They all seem pretty locked down though. Lots of cool ones on that link.

Back