What Wifi Dongles Work For The Caanoo?

Eric62 said:
ruffnutts said:
BUFFALO WLI-UC-GNM even smaller and works ;)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=BUFFALO+WLI-UC-GNM+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627

Are you sure that BUFFALO WLI-UC-GNM dongle works? Are you some pictures with Caanoo? Is it possible to buy this wifi dongle from France?

100% works with new firmware 1.6.0 - dont see why you couldn`t get it from France

Last edited by a moderator:
ruffnutts said:
Eric62 said:
ruffnutts said:
BUFFALO WLI-UC-GNM even smaller and works ;)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=BUFFALO+WLI-UC-GNM+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627

Are you sure that BUFFALO WLI-UC-GNM dongle works? Are you some pictures with Caanoo? Is it possible to buy this wifi dongle from France?

100% works with new firmware 1.6.0 - dont see why you couldn`t get it from France

This buffulo dongle 100% works, I tried mine yesterday, simple and fast! :lol:

monstercameron said:
Com64 said:
Either eBay doesn't seem to like me, or something has gone terribly wrong:

th_Screenshot-MalwareDetected-Chromium.png
something was wrong with the certificates, just skip past it, even googles own websites do this
Weird. The first time I went there I was away from home. It works fine at home, though. must have been the wifi network's strict security. I might wait a while before buying it; I have to get something else online first.

My Buffalo works... except I don't know how to get it to accept WEP encryption key. HELP! Please....

elfcat said:
My Buffalo works... except I don't know how to get it to accept WEP encryption key. HELP! Please....
Did you try setting the network up with iwconfig in termula2x? Try that.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could try different types of authentication, or in the worst case scenario, MAC filtering.

Also, I've compiled a driver for the Belkin Wireless G F5D7050 v3, which has the Ralink RT2571 chip... I haven't been able to get it to work, though. Maybe someone with an RT2570 chip could try it out, since the driver would work for any card with the RT2570. Probably doesn't work because it has an RT2571. For some reason, I just can't initialize the interface.

Com64 said:
I have a Belkin Wireless G F5D7050 v3, which does NOT work with the Caanoo out of the box. It has a Ralink RT2571WF chip. It works out of the box on my Linux laptop. Not ALL Ralink cards work out-of-the-box.

It might, however, work with this driver:
http://www.mediafire.com/?j0abaxp9bb9gfqd

You have to unzip them the file "rt2570.ko" in a folder on your SD card, then load it. Example:

/sbin/insmod /mnt/sd/stuff/rt2570.ko

The driver might not work. In fact, I have no idea whether or not it really works. When I try to initialize the interface, I get an error:

Code:
# /sbin/ifconfig rausb0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument
# /lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/tools/iwconfig rausb0 mode auto essid nelson key 7782337221abc channel auto nickname "caanoo"
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06)  : 
SET failed on device rausb0 ; Network is down.

Com64 said:
elfcat said:
Did you try setting the network up with iwconfig in termula2x? Try that.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could try different types of authentication, or in the worst case scenario, MAC filtering.

Also, I've compiled a driver for the Belkin Wireless G F5D7050 v3, which has the Ralink RT2571 chip... I haven't been able to get it to work, though. Maybe someone with an RT2570 chip could try it out, since the driver would work for any card with the RT2570. Probably doesn't work because it has an RT2571. For some reason, I just can't initialize the interface.

Com64 said:
I have a Belkin Wireless G F5D7050 v3, which does NOT work with the Caanoo out of the box. It has a Ralink RT2571WF chip. It works out of the box on my Linux laptop. Not ALL Ralink cards work out-of-the-box.

It might, however, work with this driver:
http://www.mediafire.com/?j0abaxp9bb9gfqd

You have to unzip them the file "rt2570.ko" in a folder on your SD card, then load it. Example:

/sbin/insmod /mnt/sd/stuff/rt2570.ko

The driver might not work. In fact, I have no idea whether or not it really works. When I try to initialize the interface, I get an error:

Code:
# /sbin/ifconfig rausb0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument
# /lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/tools/iwconfig rausb0 mode auto essid nelson key 7782337221abc channel auto nickname "caanoo"
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06)  : 
SET failed on device rausb0 ; Network is down.

Nope. Still cannot input WEP key. Changing encryption type is not an option. Any word on When WEP support will become available?

elfcat said:
Nope. Still cannot input WEP key. Changing encryption type is not an option. Any word on When WEP support will become available?
Try using this script, and put in your network settings (essid and wep password). Save it onto your SD card in a text file and load it in Termula2x by typing out it's full location (ie. /mnt/sd/connect.txt). Heck, why not just change the file extension to ".gpu" and load it in the Explorer? (you won't get to see what's going on, though) Just make sure you have the adapter in before you run it. Also, you may have to change the instances of "wlan0" to either rausb0 or ra0, because sometimes ralink cards show up as something other than wlan0. Check the name of your card's interface, after plugging it in, obviously, by entering "insmod af_packet.ko&&ifconfig -a" in Termula2x and your card's interface should be the second entry, right below "lo". You shouldn't have more than two entries, though. I've used this script, but I don't truly know if it works perfectly (I'm still trying to get my card to work,) but it should work. ZX-81 wrote it, and I edited it a bit.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Your ESSID
ESSID=MYESSID

# Your WEP KEY 64 or 128 Bits 
WEP=YOUWEPKEYHERE

/sbin/insmod usb-storage.ko
/sbin/insmod af_packet.ko
sleep 2

MAX_CH=2
MAX_CS=5
CH=0
OK=0

while [ ${CH} -ne ${MAX_CH} ]
do
  CH=`expr ${CH} + 1`
  echo "current hard iter=${CH}"
  CS=0
  while [ ${CS} -ne ${MAX_CS} ]
  do
    CS=`expr ${CS} + 1`
    TEST=`/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep -c wlan0`
    if [ "${TEST}" -ne 0 ]
    then OK=1; break
    fi
    sleep 1
  done
  if [ ${OK} -eq 1 ]
  then  CS=0
        OK=0
        do
          CS=`expr ${CS} + 1`
          echo "current soft iter=${CS}"
          echo "activate wlan0 interface ..."
          /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
          sleep 3
          echo "list access point"
          TEST=`/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/tools/iwlist scanning | grep -c ${ESSID}`
          if [ "${TEST}" -ne 0 ]
          then OK=1; break
          fi
          echo "deactivate wlan0 interface ..."
          /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 down
          sleep 1
        done
  fi
  if [ ${OK} -eq 1 ]
  then break
  fi

sleep 3
done

if [ ${OK} -eq 1 ]
then   echo "Connect to ${ESSID}"
       /lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/tools/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid ${ESSID} key  ${WEP}
       sleep 5
       echo "Get IP from dhcp ..."
       /sbin/udhcpc -i wlan0
fi

cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

Com64 said:
elfcat said:
Try using this script, and put in your network settings (essid and wep password). Save it onto your SD card in a text file and load it in Termula2x by typing out it's full location (ie. /mnt/sd/connect.txt). Heck, why not just change the file extension to ".gpu" and load it in the Explorer? (you won't get to see what's going on, though) Just make sure you have the adapter in before you run it. Also, you may have to change the instances of "wlan0" to either rausb0 or ra0, because sometimes ralink cards show up as something other than wlan0. Check the name of your card's interface, after plugging it in, obviously, by entering "insmod af_packet.ko&&ifconfig -a" in Termula2x and your card's interface should be the second entry, right below "lo". You shouldn't have more than two entries, though. I've used this script, but I don't truly know if it works perfectly (I'm still trying to get my card to work,) but it should work. ZX-81 wrote it, and I edited it a bit.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Your ESSID
ESSID=MYESSID

# Your WEP KEY 64 or 128 Bits 
WEP=YOUWEPKEYHERE

/sbin/insmod usb-storage.ko
/sbin/insmod af_packet.ko
sleep 2

MAX_CH=2
MAX_CS=5
CH=0
OK=0

while [ ${CH} -ne ${MAX_CH} ]
do
  CH=`expr ${CH} + 1`
  echo "current hard iter=${CH}"
  CS=0
  do
    CS=`expr ${CS} + 1`
    TEST=`/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep -c wlan0`
    if [ "${TEST}" -ne 0 ]
    then OK=1; break
    fi
    sleep 1
  done
  if [ ${OK} -eq 1 ]
  then  CS=0
        OK=0
        do
          CS=`expr ${CS} + 1`
          echo "current soft iter=${CS}"
          echo "activate wlan0 interface ..."
          /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
          sleep 3
          echo "list access point"
          TEST=`/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/tools/iwlist scanning | grep -c ${ESSID}`
          if [ "${TEST}" -ne 0 ]
          then OK=1; break
          fi
          echo "deactivate wlan0 interface ..."
          /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 down
          sleep 1
        done
  fi
  if [ ${OK} -eq 1 ]
  then break
  fi

sleep 3
done

if [ ${OK} -eq 1 ]
then   echo "Connect to ${ESSID}"
       /lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/tools/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid ${ESSID} key  ${WEP}
       sleep 5
       echo "Get IP from dhcp ..."
       /sbin/udhcpc -i wlan0
fi

cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

What format and where do I plug in SD card info? "inet:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0"

Com64 said:
elfcat said:
What format and where do I plug in SD card info? "inet:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0"
The... Caanoo.

Not what I meant... Where in the script does the SD card info come into play. I am not a coder by any stretch so unfortunately this operation is not "obvious" to me. Thank for you help thus far.

Currently, using the script with only the WEP key, the essid, and the chipset descriptions altered... I have had no success. I have used my Caanoo on unsecured networks with great success.

elfcat said:
Com64 said:
elfcat said:
The... Caanoo.

Not what I meant... Where in the script does the SD card info come into play. I am not a coder by any stretch so unfortunately this operation is not "obvious" to me. Thank for you help thus far.

Currently, using the script with only the WEP key, the essid, and the chipset descriptions altered... I have had no success. I have used my Caanoo on unsecured networks with great success.
OH! I thought you said:
"where do I plug in SD card into."
Well, you'd add your ESSID and password in (where it says MYESSID and YOURWEPKEYHERE) and save it onto your SD card somewhere as a text file on your Caanoo's SD card, (ie. F:/something.gpu for windows) then you run it on your Caanoo by opening it in the Explorer menu.

Having now got a dongle to work (the smallish Hama one) I am at a bit of a loss what to do with it. Not having 2 of them to network the only use I've so far found is to use the browser, which is pretty hard to use.

Am I missing any more practical uses?

andyB911 said:
Having now got a dongle to work (the smallish Hama one) I am at a bit of a loss what to do with it. Not having 2 of them to network the only use I've so far found is to use the browser, which is pretty hard to use.

Am I missing any more practical uses?
Well, you could get a bunch of friends together to play Quake over a network (them on PC, you on Caanoo). I tried something similar with my laptop at a library. We (about 8 people) played halo for hours. :p

Com64 said:
elfcat said:
Com64 said:
elfcat said:
The... Caanoo.

OH! I thought you said:
"where do I plug in SD card into."
Well, you'd add your ESSID and password in (where it says MYESSID and YOURWEPKEYHERE) and save it onto your SD card somewhere as a text file on your Caanoo's SD card, (ie. F:/something.gpu for windows) then you run it on your Caanoo by opening it in the Explorer menu.

Hi guys just ordered my caanoo and was looking for a good small wifi dongle, just wanted to see if you can confirm that this method has worked with with the buffalo wifi stick. it will be much apriciated which information you can return. Thank you in advance

mattyjm91 said:
Hi guys just ordered my caanoo and was looking for a good small wifi dongle, just wanted to see if you can confirm that this method has worked with with the buffalo wifi stick. it will be much apriciated which information you can return. Thank you in advance
If this method works, it should work with any wifi stick. I haven't tested it on a compatible wifi stick yet.

I don't know about "the method" but the very small buffalo stick works fine with the caanoo and the latest firmware. The one that sticks just a few mm out of the USB port, that is. I have one myself :)

Hi,

I just saw this cheap "Nano WiFi stick" here http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-nano-usb-2-0-802-11n-b-g-150mbps-wifi-wlan-wireless-network-adapter-54906 . Apparently has RTL8188CUS chipset. I saw custom drivers are compiled for Wiz. Will those drivers work also for Caanoo or will this dongle work out of the box? Anyone testet?

Edit: I've tested a Samsung WiFi stick for Samsung TV's, which uses RaLink rt73, rt2570sta, rt2870sta chips, and it doesn't work, even if it's still Ralink.

Thanks.

0sAND1s said:
Hi,

I just saw this cheap "Nano WiFi stick" here http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-nano-usb-2-0-802-11n-b-g-150mbps-wifi-wlan-wireless-network-adapter-54906 . Apparently has RTL8188CUS chipset. I saw custom drivers are compiled for Wiz. Will those drivers work also for Caanoo or will this dongle work out of the box? Anyone testet?

Edit: I've tested a Samsung WiFi stick for Samsung TV's, which uses RaLink rt73, rt2570sta, rt2870sta chips, and it doesn't work, even if it's still Ralink.

Thanks.
Have you tried finding and/or compiling drivers, then running them in Terminal on the Caanoo with insmod? I tried that with one of my cards and it almost worked.

I can't get my D-Link DWA-130 working, interface does not show up. According to my Linux computer, it contains the RT2870 chipset. I tried using insmod to load the rt3070sta.ko driver, but no luck. My linux computer recognizes it right away and it is fully functional, so it's not a hardware fault of the adapter.

More info:
Model: D-Link DWA-130
H/W version: B1
F/W Version: 2.00

Caanoo firmware: 1.6.1

So I guess it's safe to say not to buy this particular adapter if you want something that works out of the box. It's kind of bulky, anyway; even more so than the official GPH dongle.

Back