What Would You Test?

I'd test sound, first and foremost, by loading up a synth and trying it out, then I'd go through all the USB devices I own and see which ones work and which ones don't .. then I'd get a game or two loaded and try to find something that pushes the GL limits. Then I'd go back to hacking around with the sound subsystem .. and probably I'd start trying to get my suggestions/modifications into the community-OS (open2x?) as soon as possible ..

RajTakhar said:
It was noted way back, by Craig that the initial 100 or so machines would be sent out to a lucky few to iron out any issues (if any build related)

I could be wrong but that's not how I read it.

I read that they are making 100 or so machines in order to test that there is nothing wrong with the manufacturing process. I assume that they will do the testing themselves, and if all is fine send out the 100 and immediately order the remaining 3,900.

I don't see that they will be relying on feedback from users. They are still sending on a first-come-first served basis. It's possible that a (perhaps quite large) percentage of the first 100 units will go to people who don't frequent the forums and really have no interest in feeding back.

Last edited by a moderator:
guys thats how I read it - the lucky first being from first pre-orders - but the point being was to ask the question - how would you test?, if you were one of the lucky ones - i guess i should phrased the question better - heck it was early in morning - sorry

Kloplop321 said:
Skype is not Open Source. Do they have a release for a linux ARM binary/package?

Skype may not be open source, but I have it for arm processor on my pocket pc phone, the HTC Kaiser. Unless I was misinformed about the architecture of my phone.

Pleng said:
I could be wrong but that's not how I read it.

I read that they are making 100 or so machines in order to test that there is nothing wrong with the manufacturing process. I assume that they will do the testing themselves, and if all is fine send out the 100 and immediately order the remaining 3,900.

I don't see that they will be relying on feedback from users. They are still sending on a first-come-first served basis. It's possible that a (perhaps quite large) percentage of the first 100 units will go to people who don't frequent the forums and really have no interest in feeding back.
Phawx said:
I read it how Pleng read it as well.

Here's what Craig said in March:

craigix said:
It really depends on how we roll out the MP units, we might ask for volunteers, say 200, to take delivery and use them intensely for a couple of weeks to try to find any faults.

It's all in the interests of making this as solid a product as possible.

Grain of salt and all that though. Don't want to raise any false hopes.

Kaze0110 said:
Kloplop321 said:
Skype is not Open Source. Do they have a release for a linux ARM binary/package?

Skype may not be open source, but I have it for arm processor on my pocket pc phone, the HTC Kaiser. Unless I was misinformed about the architecture of my phone.

"ARM" isn't like "PC", just as there are many different x86 cores, and all execute i686 binaries (at least since the Pent. Pro), ARM processors deviate much much more and because its a arm binary, it very well likely may not work at-all for another arm core. It would be more helpful if we knew what core your Skype was compiled for to see it is compatible.

viridior said:
Kaze0110 said:
Kloplop321 said:

"ARM" isn't like "PC", just as there are many different x86 cores, and all execute i686 binaries (at least since the Pent. Pro), ARM processors deviate much much more and because its a arm binary, it very well likely may not work at-all for another arm core. It would be more helpful if we knew what core your Skype was compiled for to see it is compatible.

The N810 has Skype on Maemo 4.0 with an OMAP2420, shouldn't it work?

I'd use a Gizmo5 account instead of a Skype account on my Pandora as it uses SIP not a proprietary VoIP system.
I believe it can also, indirectly, make calls to Skype users.
Even thought the Gizmo5 client isn't open source many other SIP based clients are, like Ekiga, which can be built for the Pandora.

So Gizmo5 calls via a Ekiga client is what I'd test out.

Like some of the others here, I couldn't think of any particular tests to run. I'd just try and do what I do on my laptop, which includes e-mail, calendar, catching up on podcasts, playing a little Teeworld, chat with a few friends, and possibly even work on software with it.

id like to test usb stuff like cameras and my day to day crap i would use the panda for.
nothing exciting

solitaire if im feeling adventurous.

Back