Whatever happened to Dosbox for pandora?

Much Games work in Qemu faster and some Games in Dosbox faster.

When you want help to make Dos Games run in Qemu can you send me a PM and i want to Help :)

See in my Signature,there is a Site with lot of Dosgames for Qemu like Gta,Command&Conquer,Rayman Demo,Tomb Raider Demo and other Freeware Games and Demos.

Most of them runs fine on the Pandora with Qemu.

And with Qemu are you able to run Windows95 at relative good speed for games like starcraft and diablo1.

However,some Games run in Dosbox better and most in Qemu,it depends on the Game :)

@pickle,

I tested notaz sdl with dosbox and the problems with the mousecursor seem to be gone when using it.

I created a fake startscript in appdata, that exports the needed variables and then starts dosbox and pointed dboxfe to that.

If you want to update your pnd, go ahead :)

Much Games work in Qemu faster and some Games in Dosbox faster.

When you want help to make Dos Games run in Qemu can you send me a PM and i want to Help :)

See in my Signature,there is a Site with lot of Dosgames for Qemu like Gta,Command&Conquer,Rayman Demo,Tomb Raider Demo and other Freeware Games and Demos.

Most of them runs fine on the Pandora with Qemu.

And with Qemu are you able to run Windows95 at relative good speed for games like starcraft and diablo1.

However,some Games run in Dosbox better and most in Qemu,it depends on the Game :)
thanks dude,i'll try it out :)hope that setting up dos in qemu is not a pain like setting it in real life on a 486 machine...

Here are many Freeware Images too.

With operating Systems like

Freedos,

DRDOS,

ReactOS (Freeware Windows Clone)and other usefull Qemu Images ;)

http://pandorawiki.org/QEMU_Premade_Images

Mostly dont you need the real MSDOS,the other DOSes work fine too.

The only little difficult Thing is to get EMS Memory in Qemu working.

When you want Tips,write here and when i can help,do i. :D

And when you want help to get a special Game running too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its "Pursuit of Greed". (e.g.)

He mentioned that one in post no. 11

EDIT : @Solstar :  Did you manage to get qemu running yet ?

Like Ingo already said before : Just feel free to ask if there are any questions. =)

@ingoreis:i'll try those now:) as for ems,i still have a bootdisk images that was enabled to load ems,so hopefull there should be no problem :)

@mrbazil2k:indeed,that's the game.i managed to make it run,that wasn't the problem.the problem was to make it playable...i mean,framerate-wise.i only tried qemu with a windows 95 image,which worked,although at a deprecable speed :( i entered DOS mode from windows 95 by rebooting,but i'm sure a pure DOS instance will be much faster

ok i tried freedos with qemu, and i tried alien trilogy on both qemu and dosbox...it runs soooooo slow in both of them:( now i know i could get the psx version , who would run faster, but i woul dlike if there's a way to make it run faster...i clocked my pandora at 800

I just tried Pursuit of Greed in DosBOX and it is slow however I found lowering the Screen size to about half (Press Esc and navigate to options and select screensize) makes the game go a lot quicker.

You may need to lower it more as I am on a 1GHZ Pandora running at 1100mhz ;)

If this doesn't work then sadly you will have to turn off the awesome soundtrack as I reckon thats causing some slowdowns.

Let me know how that goes.

What does the DS have anything to do with dosbox?

Dosbox in general is slow as it aims to be portable across any system type. Make sure your conf's use core set to dynamic. Set cycles to Max.

Dosbox is an app you have to put some thought into and read the manual. Once you do its not that difficult.
He's pointing out that he CAN run DS games thru Drastic, yet can't run DOS games thru DOSBOX.

I think now its a language barrier :)
Maybe. It would be easier if everybody would at least show in which country they are living.

Showing the first language under the avatar would be great for international forums, but i have never seen it anywhere.

Ok, so i will try pickles version again.

Doxbox-Ex seems to have some weird problems with the mouse/touchscreen. oO
I think I will bring that up as a good suggestion on the Moderators Board.

It MIGHT be helpful if people's native tongue was shown as part of their avatar, so that people would understand that some people are not native English-speakers...or that English, at least, is not the language in which they are accustomed to speaking/writing - thus some things may come across the wrong way.

I DO think we should all give people the benefit of the doubt up-front, and not immediately go harsh and strict if someone comes across as "demanding" because, as was said, this could simply be a problem with a language barrier.  It's helpful if we all remember this is a world-wide forum, and not everyone is as comfortable with english as native speakers, like Brits...and Yanks like myself.  (although I still have an issue with the extra u's you Brits throw into words like "color" :lol: :p ;) )

By the way, Solstar...I love your avatar!  As an X-phile myself, I gotta love it.

I sure hope that you understand that we really usually are a very helpful and friendly community!

I know, I have many times myself been a beneficiary of such helpfulness!

@pickle,

I tested notaz sdl with dosbox and the problems with the mousecursor seem to be gone when using it.

I created a fake startscript in appdata, that exports the needed variables and then starts dosbox and pointed dboxfe to that.

If you want to update your pnd, go ahead :)
Would you mind sharing the startup script, so we could profit from notaz improvements regardless of when pickle finds time to update his pnd ?

I testet the Game shortly and nenembered that i tried this Game long before and wrote in the Qemu Thread that Qemu have often Problems with 3D Games.

But i renember too that i made a Video in the Past,maybe you find it on MCOBITs Youtube Account.

There are much ways to improve the Game a little and i renember that i played the first Level.

Tomorrow must i not work,then i try my little tricks to Speed up the Game ;)

Maybe i made a video but dont uploaded it,i dont renember correctly sorry.

I will try that Greed Game.

Edit: My Tricks reached not out to make aliens Trilogie playable on Rebirth Pandora :(

I have a personal dosbox pnd that does use the notaz sdl for scaling, which gives almost a fullscreen experience. But i didnt get it working yet for dboxfe, which could use an update. I believe theres a more active branch that devel was happening on, but it would need to be refactored for the pandora screen.

I havnt been using the gui since it kept blowing away its own config files, Ive been using dosbox direct and just hand modifying the conf.

Its also possible i could use my launcher, but i didnt get into trying to package it.

As said, pickle,
Just use a startupscript, that you call via dosboxfe.
Or do you want to integrate the hwscaler in the dosboxfe ui?

Yeah, i understand what you mean. It would be ideal to add it to the gui, but the gui itself needs to be updated overall since this version is unstable it seems.

Oh well... just gave "Pursuit of Greed" a try within "Qemu for Pandora" (FreeDos1.0) at full detail.

It runs quite well. But you definitely need a 1 Ghz Pandora for that at a very high clockspeed of 1,25 Ghz

Just have a look at it :

EDIT : Removed the video due to its horrible quality and somehow the video wasnt starting anymore on youtube cO

Going to redo this video as soon as I find time for it. Sorry

Back