What's So Good About Chrono Trigger?

Billy Lee

I've played Chrono Trigger after everyone has been going on about it for years but I fail to see what makes it so special. I haven't got very far into it so maybe it gets better later on but so far it just seems like your typical RPG. It's a little boring at the moment and I the turn-based battles put me off. However, I do like the fact that you can see the enemies rather than them coming out of nowhere.

The further you get into Chrono Trigger, the better it gets.

That's one of only 3 RPGs that I've completed more than once, the others being Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest on gameboy and Final FAntasy 7.

How far into it do you have to get before it gets interesting? How did you manage to complete it 3 times? Isn't it like 100 hours long?

BillyLee - Hey bro I'll be the only one to back you up on this one... I played thru a good portion of Chrono Trigger, and honestly I didn't see why people were raving on and on about it. I think I played 10-15 hours of it and then someone offered me a good price for it and I couldn't see why not so I sold it. And have not regretted it since :p I've since gone back via emulation to try it again and really I haven't even been able to get into it.

The ONLY things I really liked about the game were yes the music which was great (most SNES RPG's were though at least the ones I played) and as you mentioned, the fact that you could SEE your enemies before being sucked into battle with them... I am SOOOOO tired of random battles and avoid any RPG that uses that tired old mechanic unless it's Final Fantasy.

One day I WILL play thru it because for so many people to think so highly of it it's GOT to get good at some point.....

....... the travels in the time, and Akira Toriyama :D ! One of my favorite rpg with ff6-7 and tactics

it was the only turn-based rpg I could get into other than the golden sun series for gba

Chrono Trigger is great, but I prefer Secret of Mana: tastes are tastes, and if you don't like Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana..... it is not a problem for me.

Sometimes a game becomes a hit because one guy plays it, tells his friends it is good and then everybody start saying it is good, without playing it: I think this happens very often, with movies too.

What's so great about Chrono Trigger? I dunno... I guess it was really special for me because it was the first RPG I ever played that didn't bore me to tears. I never played a final fantasy until 1997 when #7 came out. Before that, it was just Dragon Warrior and Little Ninja Brothers... neither one was that great. Chrono Trigger was the first, and I just loved every second of it. I've played thru it at least 30 times, and to this day, it's still my favorite game of all time. I really can't tell you why, the story was just so great for me. Maybe because it was the first somewhat interesting RPG I ever played and because I was only about 10 at the time when I played it... Every time I watch the part before everybody goes into the gate at the millenial fair at the end, I still feel like crying... and afterwards, the balloon ending... it gives me that cold feeling all along the back of my head and neck.

it's the music, the mood, the humor in the game, the characters... it's everything... the whole game was a blast for me every time I played it(except that damn blackbird... I HATE that part...)

I dunno, I guess maybe if you play it now, after having played so many RPG's already, Chrono Trigger just seems kind of average and generic, but had you played it as one of your first at a young age like I did, you'd probably appreciate it a lot more... Oh well, to each his own.

Personally, I don't like Secret of Mana. I tried playing it once(after having played Seiken Densetsu 3), and I just didn't like the battle system. The story seemed okay from what I played, but I didn't like the fighting. It was almost the same as SD3, but you could attack at any time, whether your bar was refilled completely or not, and most of the time if it wasn't, you'd do like 1 damage to the enemy. Maybe I'll give it a better try further down the road, but right now I'm working on portable Chrono Trigger in German and another game of Seiken Densetsu 3.

By the way, for those of you out there who like Chrono Trigger, if you haven't already heard it before, head on over to www.ocremix.org, go to the C section, find Chrono Trigger, and listen to a song called "The Incredible Singing Robot." It's a remixed version of Robo's theme with lyrics that are about everything that Robo was involved in... it's a really good song, so go check it out.

Yeah, I guess it probably would have seemed good at the time.

Coincidentally, I saw the Chrono Trigger Official Soundtrack in the market today for about £5. I was thinking about buying it but from what I've heard it's nothing amazing. The music is really slow on OSNES9x but still it seems like your standard RPG soundtrack. Am I wrong? It's hardly in the same league as Streets Of Rage, is it?

I'm not trying to criticise this game. I'm just trying to get an understanding of why everyone loves it so much. I feel like I'm missing out.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel of Secret of Mana, that is Seiken Densetsu 2.

You usually love a soundtrack if you remember the scenes of the game/movie: if you listen to a music called "Terra" or "Celes" and you didn't play FF6, maybe you'll say they are boring musics.

Chrono Trigger isn't linear, right? Does have multiple endings or paths. I just started playing this game 3 days ago. I just couldn't put it down one time.

If you have to ask then obviously you are not an RPG gamer.

RPG's are not for everyone, however I grew up playing all of Square's RPG and Chrono Trigger is a classic in the RPG world.

If you enjoy it then great, if not then don't trash it.

Back