What's So Good About Chrono Trigger?

GiG posted on May 28 2005 at 01:43 PM said:
Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel of Secret of Mana, that is Seiken Densetsu 2.

You usually love a soundtrack if you remember the scenes of the game/movie: if you listen to a music called "Terra" or "Celes" and you didn't play FF6, maybe you'll say they are boring musics.

Nope I am sorry you are not correct. Seiken Densetsu 2 is the Secret of Eevermore in the US.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is Secret of Mana 3 that never made it to the US.

Don't mean to be rude but I had to make that correction...

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Lee posted on May 28 2005 at 09:01 AM said:
I've played Chrono Trigger after everyone has been going on about it for years but I fail to see what makes it so special. I haven't got very far into it so maybe it gets better later on but so far it just seems like your typical RPG. It's a little boring at the moment and I the turn-based battles put me off. However, I do like the fact that you can see the enemies rather than them coming out of nowhere.

Me! said:
The other game I was playing the other day was Chrono Trigger on xSnes9x.

Game guide for Chrono Trigger at www.square-haven.net

Now this is a great one as well. The music is fantastic.
It's great to play emulators on a real console with a real joypad. Chrono Trigger was never released in Europe, which isn't normally a problem because you just get it on import and play it with Action Replay or something, but unlike Secret of Mana no-one really knew about it. So the first time I ever played it was years after release on Snes96. And it's great, even though I'm not a RPG buff. I've only really played that and Final Fantasy VII to any great degree.

Forget Back to the Future, the plot of Chrono Trigger has you meeting a girl called Marle, who wears a strange pendant. While demoing a transportation device (a-la The Fly) the pendant causes the machine to malfunction throwing Marle back through a time warp.
In the past Marle is found and instantly mistaken for her ancester, Queen Leene. Queen Leene has been kidnapped, and in the past someone is supposed to rescue her. After finding Marle though, they call off the search, throwing the timelines out of whack. Because Marle is now taking the role of her own ancestor, she disappears from existance, unless you can find the real Queen Leene and save her.

(Well it's certainly better than the plot of Enter the Matrix. What was the point of that anyway? Something about a package or something?)
There's more characterisation here than in the average Hollywood blockbuster these days. There's something about playing an RPG which is a little bit like reading a book, but with interactivity, so you are uncovering the plot as you go on. It really shows the potential of a game to be better than a book, and hopefully one day, better than a film as well.

Great stuff I love it

yeah a lot of the remixes at ocremix are pretty cool.my fave track in the soundtrack is probably zeal kingdom.i loved the moment when you get there in the game and you listen to the theme for the first time.
i actually regularly listen to the soundtrack on my mp3 player.

and i didn't play it when i was a kid,i played it last year for the first time,and still really enjoied it.good games are good games.

i don't think you can judge the soundtrack fairly if its slowed down because of the emulator,you have to give it a go the proper way.i suggest playing it on a pc

Magus 86 posted on May 28 2005 at 06:18 PM said:
What's so great about Chrono Trigger? I dunno... I guess it was really special for me because it was the first RPG I ever played that didn't bore me to tears. I never played a final fantasy until 1997 when #7 came out. Before that, it was just Dragon Warrior and Little Ninja Brothers... neither one was that great. Chrono Trigger was the first, and I just loved every second of it. I've played thru it at least 30 times, and to this day, it's still my favorite game of all time. I really can't tell you why, the story was just so great for me. Maybe because it was the first somewhat interesting RPG I ever played and because I was only about 10 at the time when I played it... Every time I watch the part before everybody goes into the gate at the millenial fair at the end, I still feel like crying... and afterwards, the balloon ending... it gives me that cold feeling all along the back of my head and neck.

Can relate to that, though I was about 18 first time I played it (on an emulator though) - it possible one of the only times out of about 3 or 4 I've ever had an emotional reaction (though small) to something like a video game instead of a film.

There is something quite cool about Square games, in the music and the charactisation which does head in the right direction to being emotional... Something about Leene's bell at the start, the Millenium Fair and meeting Marle which is quite cool - can't describe why really. No other games that I've ever played do this, it's all just kill the baddies in the right order, mindless but entertaining. Ever if it has a plot it never seems to mean as much as Square RPGs... Chrono Trigger being one of the best examples...

The only other times were playing Metal Gear Solid 2 (at 2am usually), and of course the famous bit which everyone remembers in Final Fantasy VII on PS1. If you've played it you'll know what I mean, that was a pretty seminal moment I reckon, the first really emotional reaction to an event in a game!

tattooman posted on May 28 2005 at 11:33 PM said:
GiG posted on May 28 2005 at 01:43 PM said:
Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel of Secret of Mana, that is Seiken Densetsu 2.

You usually love a soundtrack if you remember the scenes of the game/movie: if you listen to a music called "Terra" or "Celes" and you didn't play FF6, maybe you'll say they are boring musics.

Nope I am sorry you are not correct. Seiken Densetsu 2 is the Secret of Eevermore in the US.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is Secret of Mana 3 that never made it to the US.

Don't mean to be rude but I had to make that correction...

Uhm... are you sure? Secret of Evermore is Seiken Densetsu 2?
No, look at this screenshot

seiken-densetsu-2_00.png

Now, are you still sure about it?

Secret of Evermore is totally another story, about a guy in the US that is transported to strange worlds by a mysterious machine.
Am I rude? :)

Attachments

• seiken-densetsu-2_00.png
    seiken-densetsu-2_00.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 118
Hey, guys, I got this problem with Chrono Trigger. When I go into Arris Dome I cant see anything. its all grey with these weird clouds. And thats all I can see. i can move my character. But I cant see him at all. Can anyone help? PLZ!!! I want to play Chrono Trigger...but if I cant fix this... :(

Yeah, Seiken Densetsu 3 is called Seiken Densetsu 3 for a reason. The first Seiken Densetsu was some game on gameboy called... Final Fantasy Adventure, I think, and Secret of Evermore is a completely different game/story...

Yes, the Chrono Trigger soundtrack is definitely worth 5 pounds... I paid about $30 USD when I bought it... damn, that was a long time ago too. And Seiken Densetsu 3 has some kickass music as well. So do a lot of other Squaresoft RPG's. Right now, I have the following game soundtracks: Chrono Trigger OSV, Chrono Trigger Arranged Version: The Brink of Time(jazz remixes of about 10-15 CT tracks, pretty cool actually), Chrono Trigger OST(yes, there's a difference between this and the OSV. This contains ONE disc that has the new arranged versions of the CT music that you'll find in the cutscenes on the Playstation version of CT), Chrono Cross OST, Brave Fencer Musashi OST, Seiken Densetsu 3 OST, Final Fantasy 7 OST, and Final Fantasy 9 OST. I'm sure part of the reason why I love the Chrono Trigger music so much is because it was part of the game, but at the same time, the music helped to make me like the game too... it's not really entirely one or the other, and I think I'd enjoy the music even if I'd never touched the game. I don't know why, but Time Circuits(steel drum music you hear in Zeal) just sounds so damn good. Whenever I listen to it, I feel really calm and at peace, like i'm meditating or something... it's fricken crazy.

*for those of you who don't know, OST = original soundtrack, and OSV = original sound version(really the same thing, but for some reason they chose to use version instead of soundtrack for chrono trigger....)*

So, Kokonut Helmut... you got inside Arris Dome and can't see anything... first of all, I know this is on an emulator because the real game doesn't have that problem. Now... if you're playing it on osnes9xGP 0.3, under "hack options," there's a bunch of background switches that you can turn on and off. I think it's BG01 or BG02... don't remember for sure though... just experiment and turn one of them off. Then the fog will dissapear completely. Unfortunately though, the text is also part of the same "piece" of background as the fog, so whenever you talk to someone, you'll have to go into the menu and put the background back on and switch back and forth. A pain in the ass, I know, but there's no other way to do it that I know of, and you definitely don't wanna miss out on any dialogue, right? if you're not playing it on a GP32, or you're using a different emulator, as far as i know, they all have some kind of option to eliminate some part of the graphics. Look around, find it, and try turning off background layers until you find the right one.

Also, to answer your other question, kokonut, Chrono Trigger is linear, but at the same time it's not... it's kind of like all the final fantasy stories that I've played in that there are certain things that you must do to make the game progress, but you'll get to a point where all you really have to do is defeat the final boss. However, you're also given the option to go on a bunch of small sidequests... which you don't have to wait until the very final stage of the game to complete... Well technically it is the "final" stage of the game, it just doesn't feel that way. But the cool thing is... once you beat the game, you can start what's called a New Game +, which starts the story all over again, but your characters have all the items and weapons they had in your previous game, and they're the same level they were. You also have the option of beating the game again at any time you want. Depending on what you've completed in the story so far, you'll be treated to a different ending, and there are about 11 in total. Even if you complete every single sidequest, there are still 2 different endings you can get, depending on what route you take to fight the final boss. Also, depending on a few key choices you make, some small modifications to those 2 endings will occur. It's really quite cool, and I hope you enjoy Chrono Trigger at least half as much as I did.

Well, it's time for bed now, so I'm gonna go get a bath and then play Chrono Trigger in German until I can't stay awake anymore. :D

"*for those of you who don't know, OST = original soundtrack, and OSV = original sound version(really the same thing, but for some reason they chose to use version instead of soundtrack for chrono trigger....)*"

My bro, who *knows stuff*, tells me, that apparently only Square has ever used "OSV" in their soundtrack releases, and even they don't anymore.

Evermore was somewhat completely Square USA's game. And is bashed for no reason. And it's musics were made by a guy called Jeremy Soule. And are very good.

Hey Magus89, care to share your button configuration for chrono trigger? Saves me having to research it.

Edit: anyone for that matter.

Firts of all, I have no problem with anyone who doesn't like the games I like - after all, I am the one who was bored to tears by Shenmue :D

For me, it was the "special attack" system Chrono Trigger has (all the characters in your party can combine attacks to create a new attack, and there are dozens of combinations), as well as the characters - Glenn, the dramatic hero from the middle ages for example, or Robo. They all had personality; they didn't just do things because the script forced them to, the actions and decisions were believable - also, the heroes did not onl yhave good characteristics, but also were not those "badass rebel turned heroic" kinds. Nadia for example is a spoiled brat who wishes to do what she thinks is right and has no real respect for her parents... she is somewhat of a believable image of a teenager, except for maybe the fact that she is trained in wielding a crossbow ;)
Also, while of course being fantasy, the story was believable too, because the characters who developed the story were believable. I didn't feel like the story was forced onto me, but that things just unfolded.

Also, there were millions of things to do. Basically, you can start the game, more or less directly jet over to the final boss and kill him. But you could also spend literally dozens of hours just doing all the quests, sidequests and tidbits here and there, little "cleaning jobs" et cetera. The world kept on turning, even without the heros, and you could experience different people and their fates, but not everything was a quest or even important.

Well, I just love the game ;)

No problem, Titcher.

A = A
B = B
Start = X(to "match" where I put Y, and because it's the same as using start in an old FF with Little John)
Select = Y(because it feels closest to where Y really is on an SNES controller)
L = Select(which is never really used in the game anyway, so it's not necessary. I just made it select so that it "fits" with what R is)
R = Start

You NEVER need L and R in Chrono Trigger... they only serve one function which can just as easily be done by pressing left and right on the D-pad.

Oh yeah, one other thing I forgot to mention... some of the endings are pretty goddamn funny too.

The ending of "The Incredible Singing Robot"... "Won't you pick me instead of that frog? I can do healing too." That gives me that damn icy feeling on my neck too for some reason... and now I feel compelled to use Robo. :lol:

*edit*
"My bro, who *knows stuff*, tells me, that apparently only Square has ever used "OSV" in their soundtrack releases, and even they don't anymore."

Yeah, Jarska, the only time I've ever even heard of OSV being used was with the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, and I'm not entirely sure why they did that...

Magus 86 posted on May 29 2005 at 04:44 PM said:
You NEVER need L and R in Chrono Trigger... they only serve one function which can just as easily be done by pressing left and right on the D-pad.

Isn't there a bit where you need to hold L and R and press A, to open a door? Also in a part of the plot relating to Marle's mum I'm think L and R are involved in some way.

LHC: That's right, they are in the password you ahve to enter. But strictly speaking, you can also finish the sidequest without L and R. About that door, I can't remember any door...

Mosch posted on May 29 2005 at 06:07 PM said:
LHC: That's right, they are in the password you ahve to enter. But strictly speaking, you can also finish the sidequest without L and R. About that door, I can't remember any door...

You can always change the controls for that section, so that you can complete it properly, I didn't realise that you could save her when I played the game first time but i still completed that quest (Technically).

Oh shit, you're right! how could I forget those two parts....? BAH!!!!! I'm a fool... you don't really NEED to save Lara... you can always just be cruel and let her suffer... as far as the door is concerned, it's not really a door, but a PATH(very small "path" that you could probably just jump over if it wasn't there anyway...) to a door, and there's actually 2 of them, both inside the same building. one takes you to the room with the computer where you learn about Lavos, and the other one takes you to one of those weird doors that Belthasar built.

K0K0NUT_h3lmut posted on May 29 2005 at 12:50 AM said:
Hey, guys, I got this problem with Chrono Trigger. When I go into Arris Dome I cant see anything. its all grey with these weird clouds. And thats all I can see. i can move my character. But I cant see him at all. Can anyone help? PLZ!!! I want to play Chrono Trigger...but if I cant fix this... :(

I haven't played this on the gp in ages (currently playing it on the xbox...its got to hard for me at the mo though :( ) but to fix the problem with the domes, you have to enable one of the graphics hacks (I think its number two or three).

my brother loves chrono trigger, might try it on the gp; on what system did it came out? (so I can get the right emulator) oh and I really liked golden sun, I bought both of them on the GBA

and if you like old arcade and game music go here
www[dot]scenemusic[dot]org

Back