What's The Best Linux Distro To Use?

I'm gonna stick up for Dunny here.

Linux has a lot of plusses, but I'm not a fan of the font rendering either.

Guys, just change the fonts you're using, and enable sub-pixel anti-aliased rendering. As has been said before - there's nothing "magical" about Windows' font rendering. (Haiku's font rendering can be said to be magical, but I digress)

Things can be quite easily tweaked.

KDE font settings w/ the Bitstream Vera font family (Default in Kubuntu I believe) just for the record:
desktop1cq.png

Sphinxter said:
Such a sad story, my heart goes out to you and your linux impotence. Had you stuck with it at some point you may have even come to realize there's nothing magical happening in that other os or anything stopping you from using any TrueType fonts you like with the abillity to fully control how they're rendered.

Alex. said:
Well here is what I see, looks fine to me but maybe each distro ships with different default fonts. I actually heard a lot of complains about this before I tried Linux, and was pleasantly surprised when I finally did.

Yeah, Alex - that's exactly the problem I'm talking about. Your fonts look awful. And yes, Sphinxter, the first thing I did was to install the fonts from my Windows partition into KDE. Unfortunately, the font settings in KDE keep reverting to Liberation when I try to set Arial. Oh yes, and browsers like firefox and chrome look awful too. I'll pop into Slack and get a screengrab.

Edit: Here we go -

snapshot1.png

You can see that the tab buttons in chrome are far too big, but that's a GTK under KDE issue. Mind you, they're still too big in Gnome too. Also, the menu strip to the left wraps words that shouldn't wrap (and don't wrap in Windows). And don't get me started on the particularly shoddy sub-pixel antialiasing the font engine employs :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Also, the menu strip to the left wraps words that shouldn't wrap (and don't wrap in Windows).
That's the page designer's fault. A web designer should adjust the layout to scale to different font sizes (the CSS em unit is used for that).

dflemstr said:
Dunny said:
Also, the menu strip to the left wraps words that shouldn't wrap (and don't wrap in Windows).
That's the page designer's fault. A web designer should adjust the layout to scale to different font sizes (the CSS em unit is used for that).

Even so, it proves that a) it's using the wrong font - despite my telling it not to, or B) it's rendering wrong. And what's up with the antialiasing? It's awful! Mind you, that might be a GTK issue - KDE's internal font rendering is fine. Shame I can't get GTK apps to use KDE's fonts, really. And yes, I know about the KDE option to do so, it doesn't change anything.

And that's why I'm coding in Windows atm - cos for, linux just doesn't work properly. Others may be able to look past the unprofessional UI, but I'm afraid I'm just a bit too DaveC in that respect :(

D.

Dunny said:
Even so, it proves that a) it's using the wrong font - despite my telling it not to, or B) it's rendering wrong. And what's up with the antialiasing? It's awful! Mind you, that might be a GTK issue - KDE's internal font rendering is fine. Shame I can't get GTK apps to use KDE's fonts, really. And yes, I know about the KDE option to do so, it doesn't change anything.

And that's why I'm coding in Windows atm - cos for, linux just doesn't work properly. Others may be able to look past the unprofessional UI, but I'm afraid I'm just a bit too DaveC in that respect :(

D.

Then change the distribution. Kde use freetype2 with _hinting_ to render true type fonts as does gnome. Some distribution still can't do this well :(. Debian have a correct set of font and the libraries set correctly by default for years now. If your current distribution isn't doing this properly, I'd guess they have mess up many others things too.

Your amateur vs professional point of view hurt my brain. I mean we are a brunch of amateur here. If you don't like "amateur" work you won't like pandora's software. Hey Ginge is amateur software geez.
By the way, many kde coders are Nokia's employee (or KDAB and others companies). And many gnome programers are also paid to do what they are doing. Did you know that more than the half of the current kernel commits are paid by a company or an other ?

When it comes to Linux, apparently you're not allowed to simply dislike something ;)

SomeGuy99 said:
When it comes to Linux, apparently you're not allowed to simply dislike something ;)
We have to make sure they dislike every possible thing first.
It's like if someone drives a huge semi truck and then says, "I don't like internal combustion engines, they're big and slow and run on diesel and you have to shift them manually"

So we feel obligated to say, "well that's just a semi truck, maybe you should try these passenger cars first"

We're just trying to help.

sebt3 said:
Then change the distribution. Kde use freetype2 with _hinting_ to render true type fonts as does gnome. Some distribution still can't do this well :( . Debian have a correct set of font and the libraries set correctly by default for years now. If your current distribution isn't doing this properly, I'd guess they have mess up many others things too.

Then I guess you don't like Slackware very much, and no, I don't think I'll be changing my distro any time soon. I've only just got the bloody thing to work how I want it to, after about three months of fucking around in config files. Despite what you may expect, I'm no masochist.

Your amateur vs professional point of view hurt my brain. I mean we are a brunch of amateur here. If you don't like "amateur" work you won't like pandora's software. Hey Ginge is amateur software geez.
By the way, many kde coders are Nokia's employee (or KDAB and others companies). And many gnome programers are also paid to do what they are doing. Did you know that more than the half of the current kernel commits are paid by a company or an other ?

Fuck's sakes, lighten up dude. It's software. People tell me linux is just as good as windows, I try the distro that people recommend, and guess what? I find that it's not as good as windows. Don't get me wrong, it's great fun having the entire thing exposed like this, where I can change anything I want, but when it comes to actually using it to do stuff, I switch back to Win7. Sue me.

Why won't I like Pandora's software? I loved GP2X software, and I write my own "amateur" software. You think I don't like Linux solely because it can't get fonts to display correctly? You're that defensive over one little problem? Christ, you don't want to hear the problems I had getting my atheros wifi to connect to anything, you really don't.

I'm well aware that the Pandora runs linux, and therefore the font rendering will look like shit. I already know that, I've seen the screengrabs people have posted. I intend using software on the Pandora, and mainly emulators at that - I don't intend looking at the desktop very much at all!

D.

Dunny said:
Then I guess you don't like Slackware very much, and no, I don't think I'll be changing my distro any time soon. I've only just got the bloody thing to work how I want it to, after about three months of fucking around in config files. Despite what you may expect, I'm no masochist.
It's not that I don't like slackware, it is just that if you do expect simplicity, just don't use it. As a learning tool, it is great :) (I've done a lfs back in the days, and i learned a lot in the process)

I do have my distro religion (debian sid), but I'm no preacher at all :)

Dunny said:
Fuck's sakes, lighten up dude.
"fuck" don't have "sakes" :D

Dunny said:
It's software. People tell me linux is just as good as windows, I try the distro that people recommend, and guess what? I find that it's not as good as windows. Don't get me wrong, it's great fun having the entire thing exposed like this, where I can change anything I want, but when it comes to actually using it to do stuff, I switch back to Win7. Sue me.
I won't sue you at all. But your point of view have nothing to do with the software being made by professional or not. It is a matter of the benefits for you and I'm realy fine that you prefer win7. I have yet to try and test it (well I've yet to test vista :D, but I guess I'll skip :D)
I'm using windows XPsp3 at work and I realy find this painfull in regard of my debian at home. It's just a matter of usage pattern.
I've said somewhere else on the board that I'm planning on reinstalling a windows on my wife desktop.

Dunny said:
Why won't I like Pandora's software? I loved GP2X software, and I write my own "amateur" software. You think I don't like Linux solely because it can't get fonts to display correctly? You're that defensive over one little problem? Christ, you don't want to hear the problems I had getting my atheros wifi to connect to anything, you really don't.
I buy hardware based on linux support so I don't have any hardware problem. But this does limit my choice obviously :)
I'm not defensing but was offenced by what I though being your point of view, but I was wrong too.

Dunny said:
I'm well aware that the Pandora runs linux, and therefore the font rendering will look like shit.
I already know that, I've seen the screengrabs people have posted. I intend using software on the Pandora, and mainly emulators at that - I don't intend looking at the desktop very much at all!
Windows does indeed use it's own font-rendering algorythm. (I'm no font-rendering expert so take this with the usual caution) But linux and MacOS does share the way font are rendered and use the same hinting. (for my eyes at least) and many love how font are rendered on mac.
I for one prefer how text are rendered at home than at work...

Dunny...

Linux fonts look amazingly good on the Pandora. It's the dot pitch you see.

The real thing looks nothing like the screenshots. I'm often shocked at how ugly they look once taken away from the Pandora screen.

If there's one thing you absolutely cannot fault the Pandora on, it's the sharpness of the screen. It's so pretty.

Obviously not quite perfect, because some colours ghost a bit. But crisp and pretty.

In my experience, ubuntu is one of the easier distributions to go with. Depending on your system specs, you've got a few billion distribution options to choose from. There are tons of different builds of ubuntu using different window managers, desktop environments, etc. In the easy-to-use ubuntu line you've got:

• Ubuntu - Uses Gnome desktop environment.
  • Kubuntu - Uses KDE desktop environment which has more eye candy, it's own set of KDE and QT-based applications, etc.
  • Xubuntu - Uses XFCE as the desktop environment. Lighter on system resources than Kubuntu or Ubuntu, and very similar to the way ubuntu is layed out.
  • Lubuntu - An "unofficial" variant of ubuntu using the LXDE desktop environment. This one is the lightest of the ubuntu variants I've used, and comes with chromium as the default browser.

If you want the most stable, up-to-date, feature-filled, and user-friendly desktop you should get Ubuntu. If you're looking for something a little bit newer, edgier, and with more eye candy, you can get Kubuntu. If you're looking for something that will run on a lower-end machine, such as a pentium 2 or 3 with 128MB of ram or more, Xubuntu And Lubuntu are your best bets (and lubuntu works wonders on the older EEE PCs!)

And again, depending on what your system has for specifications you may want to change things around, use another skinnier copy of linux like puppy linux or damn small linux. And for things like netbooks or computers you'll only use for web browsing there are distributions like xPud and Browserlinux.

Of course, there are tons of other distributions, like:

• Arch Linux
  • CentOS
  • Gentoo
  • Debian
  • PCLinuxOS
  • Fedora
  • Gentoo
  • Zenwalk
  • Linux mint
  • Mandriva
  • Mepis
  • Opensuse
  • PCLinuxOS
  • Slackware
  • Debian
  • Slax
Just to name a few.

Anything based on Debian (as long as it isn't actually debian :lol: ) is almost guaranteed to be more user-friendly. Something like Gentoo is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Hope this long post helps. ;P

I am using Opensuse since 10.0 and I'm fine with it.
Some people dismiss it since Suse has been taken over by Novell and that MS-deal but it supports a lot of hardware, old and new.
There's tons of software in the repositories.
I'm using KDE but you can also go for GNOME or XFCE and on older hardware you can switch off the fancy desktop effects.
Especially if you change from win it is easy to understand.
You can even install the win fonts from the reps directly. And of course, you can change the fonts settings in the browsers (Firefox, Konqueror) independently from the system fonts. ;)
However, I don't think there is a "best" Linux. It all depends on your likings and experiences you make after a while.

Gentoo is like a role playing game. You invest a lot of time into it, but when you level up, it feels awesome.

Gerix said:
Gentoo is like a role playing game. You invest a lot of time into it, but when you level up, it feels awesome.

Then you die and have to start from scratch? Or at least lose all your items....

Since I installed KDE last night I feel like I'm never going back to Gnome. At first it just looked like a minor graphical upgrade, but after using it for a while it almost feels like a whole new operating system.

Back