What's The Best Linux Distro To Use?

Peter R said:
Gerix said:
Gentoo is like a role playing game. You invest a lot of time into it, but when you level up, it feels awesome.

Then you die and have to start from scratch? Or at least lose all your items....

But nothing will beat that feeling of being a level 70 Gentoo Rogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crunchwrap said:
Since I installed KDE last night I feel like I'm never going back to Gnome. At first it just looked like a minor graphical upgrade, but after using it for a while it almost feels like a whole new operating system.

That's fine to say just as long as you know that the GUI has absolutely nothing to do with the operating system. If not then you probably shouldn't be using Linux :p .

Edit: I'm only a level 30 Ubuntu Paladin since I've only been playing recreationally till recently.

Peter R said:
Crunchwrap said:
Since I installed KDE last night I feel like I'm never going back to Gnome. At first it just looked like a minor graphical upgrade, but after using it for a while it almost feels like a whole new operating system.

That's fine to say just as long as you know that the GUI has absolutely nothing to do with the operating system. If not then you probably shouldn't be using Linux :p .

Edit: I'm only a level 30 Ubuntu Paladin since I've only been playing recreationally till recently.

That's ok. Very few of us can become level 99 Necromancers with the ability to raise ancient machines from the dead and restore them to perfect usefulness.

Dunny said:
Christ, you don't want to hear the problems I had getting my atheros wifi to connect to anything, you really don't.
Aarrrrgh. AAAARGH.

nxswmb.jpg

I understand.

Peter R said:
Gerix said:
Gentoo is like a role playing game. You invest a lot of time into it, but when you level up, it feels awesome.

Then you die and have to start from scratch? Or at least lose all your items....
...I guess I haven't died yet. But then again, I'm a level 24 Gentoo Healb*tch.

From what I've understood, the benefit gentoo has over arch is maybe two weeks. And the happiness of watching compilation. I get that too with AUR/user repository. But yeah, not to start to a fight, I have to say that rolling release distros are awesome.

And KDE, damn, it really is sweet, I was looking for a way out of Xmonad land and then KDE4.2 came along and I've been poking at it with a mouse quite happily ever since. :) Hell, it replaced emacs.

I like Gentoo. The only time I would watch compilation was leading up to emerging X. After that point, I would just run it in the background. Now I ssh in from my laptop, and program or watch a movie in a comfy chair while my tower is chugging away upstairs. My biggest problem with Gentoo is config files. I had to approve changes to 94 configuration files the last time I updated my system. Of course, that was after updating over 130 packages, but still. And I've had an emerge fail after going a really long time without updating. But I would say the benefits outweigh the costs. I have thought about trying Sabayon out. It looks like a sexier version of Gentoo.

But I think choice is what makes Linux so great. Everyone has their opinion on which is the best distribution, and there's generally no cash requirement to try out a new one.

Peter R said:
Crunchwrap said:

I do realize that I'm still using the same operating system, it just feels different.

I have a similar sort of question as the title of this topic, so i though i may as well ask it here instead of creating a new thread. I have had ubuntu installed on my laptop for a while now and I have got to say i love linux. But i get bored of "simple" very quickly. So i was wondering what do you think is the best linux distro to mess about with and customize. I don't mind if it's complicated- I like that it's a bit of a challenge :) . Also what is the best desktop environment to use with the linux distro that you reccomend?

And btw i don't mind installing and going wrong because I have a mac for normal use, and just use my laptop for messing around on, so i could wipe the whole system if need be.

Thanks

matt101 said:
I have a similar sort of question as the title of this topic, so i though i may as well ask it here instead of creating a new thread. I have had ubuntu installed on my laptop for a while now and I have got to say i love linux. But i get bored of "simple" very quickly. So i was wondering what do you think is the best linux distro to mess about with and customize. I don't mind if it's complicated- I like that it's a bit of a challenge :) . Also what is the best desktop environment to use with the linux distro that you reccomend?

And btw i don't mind installing and going wrong because I have a mac for normal use, and just use my laptop for messing around on, so i could wipe the whole system if need be.

Thanks

You could stick with ubuntu and try messing with the desktop effects, I think you can still get the compiz config package with
Code:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
Though I could be wrong. You could also look around in synaptic for packages labeled compiz and see what they do. You could also try out KDE by installing the kubuntu-desktop package with
Code:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Get archlinux and kde. KDE4.5 just hit the repos over here, and since arch is minimal, you get kde defaults by default, and not ubuntu defaults. So you get to customize how you want. Mind you, ubuntu defaults might be better, but you did ask what you could customize. Also Archlinux+KDE is the official desktop of the gp32x forums. As demonstrated by this thread and the post your desktop thread. :) And damn, I'm really happy I turned off blur (not 100% sure it was this) or that 4.5 magically improved my desktop speed by 200%.

klikklak said:
Get archlinux and kde. KDE4.5 just hit the repos over here, and since arch is minimal, you get kde defaults by default, and not ubuntu defaults. So you get to customize how you want. Mind you, ubuntu defaults might be better, but you did ask what you could customize. Also Archlinux+KDE is the official desktop of the gp32x forums. As demonstrated by this thread and the post your desktop thread. :) And damn, I'm really happy I turned off blur (not 100% sure it was this) or that 4.5 magically improved my desktop speed by 200%.

Ok i've decided that i'm going to check out KDE on ubuntu for a couple of hours, then if I like it i will wipe my system and install arch linux with KDE. Thanks for your replys :).

I can't speak highly enough of how far Ubuntu has come with 10.04, but the sluggishness is starting to drive me batty (especially after a day at work using very snappy XP machines.) This Arch business is sounding mighty tempting.

Gruso said:
I can't speak highly enough of how far Ubuntu has come with 10.04, but the sluggishness is starting to drive me batty (especially after a day at work using very snappy XP machines.) This Arch business is sounding mighty tempting.
Arch is very snappy indeed, but don't expect stuff to be configured for you as it is in Ubuntu - you'll have to dig into config files on a regular basis.

Tom` said:
Gruso said:
Arch is very snappy indeed, but don't expect stuff to be configured for you as it is in Ubuntu - you'll have to dig into config files on a regular basis.

I used to be an Arch guy for exactly this reason. But Arch has started lagging behind - it doesn't ship with modern stuff I've started to expect from a recent distro. Yes, anything is possible with Arch once you've tweaked it long enough, but I'd like there to be a sensible default system. It should still be minimal, but also be modern. Just listing stuff off the top of my head I think is missing in Arch (after syncing a default KDE install) in "computer life cycle" order:
  1. A patched version of GRUB that doesn't mess with the frame buffer and skips the whole metric shit-ton of text and menus it spews up.
  2. Plymouth well-integrated and playing well with KMS
  3. Runlevel 5 starting X on TTY 1 instead of 7 (yeah I know easy fix but why use TTY 7 in this day and age?).
  4. X using raw udev instead of HAL. HAL is completely unnecessary.
  5. KDM integrating with session management so that user switching works properly (it rarely does!)
  6. PulseAudio per default! Yes, feel free to, oh I dunno, sue me for saying that. I actually like PA and it is used per default in every other distro by now.
  7. A proper PackageKit-based package manager! Shaman is great and all, but 1. it's suffering from feature creep and 2. it's not integrated into the system at all.
  8. PolicyKit for all rights management! No more "su" or "sudo" or "Please enter your root password to proceed:" type things should be needed!
  9. ConsoleKit might already be integrated, I dunno, but it should be.

The Chakra project tries to remedy most of these problems, but the current release (it's not rolling release in its current alpha form) is unstable and doesn't support LVM at all, so I'm not using it.

After using KDE and messing around with it installed on my ubuntu setup, I think it's safe to say it is my favourite desktop environment, it looks incredible, everything is easy to find using the search in the start menu and it is still fast and runs great on my laptop! I can't wait to try KDE 4.5 on arch linux- Which I am going to install today and wipe my laptop hard drive for it :).

Back