Whats The Craziest Shooter Under Emulation?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Alright, gloves are off ;) We traditionally argue the TG16 has one of the best assortments of shooters (and by shooter I mean R-type for instance, not FPS). The SNES had some classy ones as well, and I don't know if the Genesis/Megadrive had many.. havenm't delved into it enough to know for sure.

I'm curious if tyou can list really crazy shooters, and categorize them thusly..

1) Just a great shooter
2) Crazy out of control powerups

ie: I'd say the earlier Gradius/Pardodius type games are great shooters, but they're not really out of control on powerups; Xenon 2: Megablast could get a little out of control with powerups for a shot while when you get the 'all powerups' powerup.. but thats not too whacky. On modern shooters you can get some nasty weaponry and crazy effects going on.

So for emulatable consoles (Atari ST, Genesis/MD, SNES, TG16, NES, C64, etc) -- what are the best shooters, and which have really crazy powerups?

jeff

Running out of 'best of' topics so I'll shut up soon; but I do like to knjow what people think are 'bests' so I know where to look, since I had my head stuck up an Atari St's ass for too long years ago ;)

hey hey!

In my opinion, megadrive has THE greatest shooter of all time. Granted, its not r-type style, but its still the best:
1) Gunstar Heroes
2) Crazy power ups? well. mix and match different power ups to create enemy seaking lasers, exploding falme balls :blink: and so on...

or alternativly, Arrowflash was quite cool, from what i remember you can turn into a robot, but dont remeber any other power ups.

Don't know about console, but for the arcade (Mame) I can't get enough of Guwange. Talk about insane.

Pariah

Hellgate on the Vic20 by Jeff Minter. Mind numbing fun.

Hell Gate - 8K or 16K Jeff's last VIC20 game and could take the
distinction of being the fastest video game ever created. The
split concentration idea is carried to the limit with four
ships under simultaneous control. They will probably found
schools of meditation on this one in years to come...

No power ups though.

areoblaster for pc engine was my fave gp32 emulated shump'
the seconds level went through this uber fast small tunnel part and it was mega fun.

BUT!, my fave of all time was: -
project x was rock, but amazing - amiga btw

sensible GP32 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 05:51 PM said:
areoblaster for pc engine was my fave gp32 emulated shump'
the seconds level went through this uber fast small tunnel part and it was mega fun.

BUT!, my fave of all time was: -
project x was rock, but amazing - amiga btw

AXELAY for SNES is my all times favourite
HELLFIRE for MegaDrive is cool too

For arcade, i love Do Don Pachi or Prehistorik Isle but they are not yet supported by my MAME port.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:41 PM said:
ie: I'd say the earlier Gradius/Pardodius type games are great shooters, but they're not really out of control on powerups;

Sounds like you didn't play Oshaberi Parodius (aka Parodius 3; available for SNES and MAME)yet. EDIT: that partially applies to Gokujiou Parodious (Parodius 2), too.
Because it's the very definition of a crazy shooter. Also, the fully powered up shots of most of the "ships" (if you count things like cats, babies and stickmen on paperplanes (shooting sperm and using a huge condom as a shield) really fill the screen.

There's also Sexy Parodius for MAME with even more wacky japanese humor.

On the PC-Engine/TG16 you should definitely try the Gunhed/Star Soldier games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those things not mentioned yet......
For DrMD
Thunder Force 4 (great shooter)
Eliminate Down (no sound, but a great shooter)
Gley Lancer (great shooter)
Zero Wing (great, I just had to mention this again in the thread)
Aleste (great)
Hellfire (had to mention this one again, it was the first game I bought for my Genesis, I love it)
Gunstar Heroes (a classic must play)
Mega Turrican (good)
Bio-Hazard Battle (good)
Battle Squadron (good)
Kyuukyou Tiger (good)
Gaiares (good)
Verytex (good)
Heavy Unit (weird, but good)
Sol-Deace (good)
Darwin 4081 (good)

Panorama Cotton (Crazy, but good)

Mame
Juno First (great!)
Tempest (yes!)
Eyes (good)

Little John
Recca (Crazy? more like total madness, I love it)

If I think of any others as I am playing on my GP32, I will edit this post. :)

Oooh, some good pointers and reminders of things I'd forgotten. Sweet :)

I had thought Oshaberi Parodius was Saturn or later machines.. didn't know there was a SNES version out there.

A shame theres no way in heck Into the Hunt will be playable on the 2x :p

jeff

Oh man! I don't believe I forgot about Juno First! Thanks to Franxis for giving it to us on our GP2Xs!! I live for that game. Also, though it's not as "manic" as some of the others, I dig Fire Shark.

Pariah B)

Anyone play any of the Cho Aniki series? It's not "crazy" in a good way, more like "crazy" in a wtf-am-I-looking-at way. :blink: You're basically a buff guy in a speedo, who can fly, with a hole in his head that he can shoot from (they never tell you why he can do any of these). The game is filled with male-centric suggestive imagery and not-so-subtle homoerotic undertones. Gayest game ever.

...not that there's anything wrong with that

OK I'm gonna step back in time here to the c64 era as newer classics have been covered. So the following are all c64 versions.

1. Warhawk. OK i'm biased as I designed it but give it a go. I believe it was the first ever home vertical shooter with a powerup. Shoot the little ships with black wing markings and collide with the dropped satelite being careful not to shoot it. You then can hold the fire button for 2x auto fire and 2x movement. essential on later levels.

2. Paradroid. Excellent and unusual shooter in which you can literally upgrade (or downgrade) to any enemy you come across provided you can beat it's AI in the take over sub game. An all time classic and just so much fun. Takes strategy and skill to complete in a fairly open ended shooter in which you complete the levels partially or fully in the order that suits you.

3. Jeff Minters excellent sheep in space. Simple but addictive gameplay with the minter stamp of humor all over it. A cross between scramble and defender. Land your sheep and graze to refuel LOL.

Always been a big fan of Xenon 2 - it's runng under emulation now...

The firepower you had by the last level was rediculous... but needed, the last boss was a git!

Back