Whats the "killer app" going to be for the Pyra?

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
When the Pandora first surfaced, PSX emulation on a handheld didn't really exist - we had glimpses of what might be possible, a bit like Reicast at the moment. The PSP wasn't out either.

Good PSX emulation was the thing that made me want one more than anything else and now I love the fact that it works so well. The fact that Mupen also exists and a bunch of other stuff is icing on the cake.

So I'm wondering what will make the Pyra as desirable?

I've just read ED's cost thread and with an estimated final price of around 500 GBP, I'll find it hard to justify without something like PSX on the Pandora...

triple psx! imagine going through 3 psx games at the same time!

triple psx! imagine going through 3 psx games at the same time!
That's really the problem for me - I can see the power, I just don't know what I'd do with it. I used to know somebody who always had the most powerful components available for his PC - he'd go on and on about what it was capable of. Never did anything with it though...

A bit of extra horsepower puts a new level of what can be done with native Linux games/applications that were just too demanding on the Pandora. DosBox and Qemu (windows games) could be more playable. Emulators for the older systems could use more demanding, but better looking scalars.

a stable & fast web browser... just kidding (not completely)

actually with a "normal" desktop resolution and larger screen, it should actually "feel" like a mini laptop this time. I'm sure others think the pandora is that now, but I have a feeling this setup is going to really feel more like a laptop/netbook, and less of a phone/tablet with a keyboard. That in it's self will be "the killer app" I think. It might be hard to translate that to people.

As far as emulators, decent PSP, DC, and N64 emulation will be tits. I don't think it's going to be 100% full speed, but it should be 100% playable minus compatibility. I'm hoping for diablo 2 playable with dosbox/qemu seeing how it's runable now but not playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of emulation: full speed PSP and DreamCast emulation should be no problem. Maybe GameCube? Maybe even some Vita games, if someone manages to get that to work through some kind of compatibility layer?

For me the "killer app" would be that it can completely replace my laptop. Connecting it to a TV/beamer to watch movies or show slides in high resolution should be no problem. Wifi should be reliable and fast -- just like on my laptop. I can just apt-get install whatever software I want -- just like on my laptop. Connecting a fast USB 3.0 external hard disk. etc, etc.

For emulation, I guess Fullspeed PSP, N64, 3DO and Dreamcast will be expected.

Also, Usable and Fast PC+Windows setup will also be expected to run on the Pyra (so games like HalfLife, Diablo2, and other closed sources games from 1998 - 2002 can be played).

On the Game side, higher profile game, like Doom III (and//or the DarkMod) can be a good start. Other free games like SpeedDream (port to GLES|2 to be done) maybe also.

For application, I don't much killer app that we don't already have on the Pandora...

Gamecube and PS2 emulations would be the killer apps of all killer apps for me as the rest are expected  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully OpenMorrowind (Opensource Engine to run Morrowind) and Rigs of Rods (a free ans Opensource Driving Simulator where you have lots of Offroader and Trucks, and it have a great Physik Engine ...

This should Run easy on the Pyra, but is realy Fun..

And the Common Pandora Apps, (GBA, SNES, until DS and N64 ) Fullspeed..

I can't wait for more Paper Wars. The one level shows the games potential and is very fun. A whole campaign or even just a level editor would be amazing!

Net play would take it to a whole new level as well. Since it is turn based, I've always wondered if there would be a way to merge B-Zar's "Wars" where turns can be taken at your leisure, and you could have multiple games going for days. Each day you boot into the game, take your turns in each "War", then log out.

So many good ideas from the devs on these boards. I can't help but want to combine them all into one amazing game.

PyraPanic anyone? :p

So I'm wondering what will make the Pyra as desirable?
I think you answered your own question:

When the Pandora first surfaced, PSX emulation on a handheld didn't really exist - we had glimpses of what might be possible, a bit like Reicast at the moment. The PSP wasn't out either.
Also, as has been mentioned, PSP emulation will likely be fullspeed. Also, any DS games that don't emulate fullspeed on the Pandora are probably likely to be fullspeed on the Pyra as well, but Exophase would have to confirm that one. Honestly, I'm hoping we get decent Saturn emulation finally. That would be a true killer app for me.

-God Ginrai

When the Pandora first surfaced, PSX emulation on a handheld didn't really exist
 You must be kidding right? 5 years before the Pandora came out, I was playing PS1 titles on my Pocket PC running an ARM at 400Mhz. Plus the PSP could also handle PS1 emulation later on as well.
He was specifically talking about fullspeed emulation, I'm pretty sure. Notice that right after that, he mentions that there were emulators in the same state as Reicast is on the Pandora now.

-God Ginrai

Gimme ingo's qemu updated port. I 'll take my haiku os image.. This combo will be perfect killer app on pyra for me.

Back