What's Up With You Guys? Mk2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you got a new HDTV but out of the box, it took 40 seconds to display anything and the colors were screwed up-- and the menu to correct them was faulty-- but you were given the option to rewrite all the firmware of the machine yourself.. would you say you weren't entitled to repair or a new set? GPH is just as much required to release working firmware.

When I get an HDTV I expect it to display the right colors as the manufacturer has promised it'll do that. You complained about boot time being high and the GUI being slow -- the firmware being "faulty" as a result. Let's ponder that for a moment. For something to qualify as being "faulty" it is required for it to not fulfill its premise due to some limitation that's not supposed to exist. From what I can see, nothing is "faulty" in that sense -- there's nothing in the product spec specifying what the GUI's supposed to be like or how fast it's supposed to boot to a usable state. As for the movie-/music player, if they are truly broken then I agree they should be fixed asap.

<sigh> That post was back in November. My point is he is a persistent troll with a personal grudge against craigix in particular, and he only makes these posts in an effort to hurt the GP2X community. He does not honestly want answers or resolutions, he wants to make the device look bad. Simple as that.
haha ok man. Whatever you think :lol:

edit: and what exactly is the issue with having a grudge against a distributor? He's entitled to dislike craig. No matter how many times you quote epicenter or say he's a troll, the fact is, his motives are still completely subjective. There are people who agree with him, and people who don't. It's purely a matter of opinion, and he shouldnt be shut out because you don't like his cynical threads that raise questions about the integrity of those developing the unit. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's just mad he spent countless hours on a game that wont run.

But in all seriousness. The GP2x has some flaws, we all know that. I still find it an enjoyable little machine.

PSyMastR, those Wii sales have really shot up in the last few days! Last I checked it was 2.2m, now it's over 3.7m. Impressive!

Well played.

Not that anyone here cares, but my take on this is if Epicenter is going to put the effort to type up that many paragraphs on his opinion, all the power to him.

I think he cites legitimate criticisms. Other than some quotes from other posts I don't see him name calling or anything else thats blatantly inflammatory.

That said, I've owned my GP2X for about a week, played around with it alot with the 3.0.0 firmware. I have to say the only problem I have with it is the stick. That's it. I've done movies and photos, no freezeups whatsoever.

I changed my interface to Gmenu2x and it solves alot of the complaints I had about the default menu. Things like Gmenu2x are what make an open handheld great.

Battery life is actually much better than I thought it would be when I bought it. Loading times suck yes, but it's not that bad. However, I agree that needs to be worked on, and GPH should have more urgency about it.

Though, I wish he wouldn't go into other posts, like the value pack post I answered awhile ago, and blatantly bash each single component of the value pack, especially considering he doesn't have the goods that come with it. I'm pretty sure the pouch that comes with the value pack isn't anything like the case that was sold seperately, unfortunately :(

Sure, the value pack isn't required, but for 20$ more you get a few extra goodies, and I have to say after buying mine I really didn't mind the batteries, they're not bad at all.

Now if only it could render SOTN at a good framerate :3

Well from the locked thread there are some things I would like to say before this gets locked too. (This militant threat locking trend is not helping the community either)

Franxis:
For emulation, i don't understand it too.

The GP2X now has a good CPS-2 emulator, and it can be improved easily to run perfectly

The GP2X now has a decent GBA emulator, and it will work perfectly very soon thanks to Exophase and Zodttd.

The GP2X has an incredible SNES emulator, better than the PSP one, thanks to Squidge, Reesy, etc.

The GP2X has the best Neo·Geo emulator thanks to Pepone.

The GP2X has the best portable PSX emulator, in early stages yet, but faster than any other one (in the PC it already runs faster than EPSXE, pSX, etc). I think the PSX emulator by Sony for the PSP is not comparable because it is not really an emulator, it is running in a limited portable PS2 and it is backwards compatible with the PSOne.

And of course the GP2X has a good MAME port, better than the other handhelds ports.

In the future we could expect perfect CPS-2, perfect GBA, quite good PSX and probably some experiments with the N64 (it is not impossible, DaveC) and it is very likely to have a better and newer MAME port soon.

Definitively the GP2X has the best emulators and the best future.

The GP2X has decent quality and performance to get much more emulation projects, much more than the PSP.

Then, PSP kidies, please shut-up.
Well Franxis while I respect your great code work there are some things there to correct.

The CpS2 emu is no where near as good as the PSP. On my system I can only go to 240 MHz and the games are a choppy mess. Can it be improved? Maybe but it has already been said to use DrZ80 and Cyclone so don't expect too much. For all we know the coder has abandoned it. Seems to be the case lately, tease with a release with choppy framerate and bad or no sound, abandon.

GBA? well Zod went to the PSP. Since he got it no posts, no news. I guess he figures why work to improve an emu on the GP2X that already runs perfect on his PSP. Don't count on this either. As it is it is not good. The framerate is choppy, the sound is bad, alot of games don't run at all. I have a PSP and I tried the GBA emu. It is truly amazing, full speed with stutter free sound. The problem is the stretching makes everything look blurry, and the ghosting blurs out the blurr making it a blurry mess. That is a screen issue, the software is 10x better than the GP2X version. The sad part is it looks nice and sharp on the GP2X, too bad it won't be finished.

The SNES emu on the PSP is much better. It is faster and has transparencies and good sound. The GP2X one is many times unplayable due to choppy framerate and transparency problems render many games unplayable as you cant see what is going on or it just looks crap. Notaz mad some good improvements but he too has gone missing.

The NeoGeo USED to be better on GP2X. NJ has fixed that, now the PSP one is better. The Gp2X one still has problems with the sound.

GP2X is the worst PSX player. The games are unplayably slow, and the "framerate" is horrid, a choppy mess at best of times. Do to the hardware and the coder quitting, that is is good as it gets. The PSP one is full speed. The PSP is not a portable PS2 either, it is different hardware.

MAME? yes that is a great port. Even then there are still many classics (some of my favorites) that STILL have either no sound or very scratchy sample support. Still light years ahead of the PSP, so far.

N64? Come on, being a coder you can't POSSIBLY believe it is possible, not at a playable speed. Did someone hijack your account and say that?

The best future? well judging by fact that many coders have left and updates are completely stalled lately the future doesn't look too good.

Orkie:
Personally, I do prefer the DS because it has a decent battery (even 2500mAh batteries don't get the same effect on the GP2X) which is built in and you can just plug it in to recharge - no need to carry around loads of sets of batteries for a console which can last an entire day's worth of play
It works for the DS as its slow CPU is good on batteries. On the GP2X a built-in battery would be shit. When it goes out you can't swap it out for charged ones. Plus in the future custom batteries are expensive and hard to get for a niche machine.

Hydralancer:

Honestly I never seen another system where you had to "squint" so much just to find it cool where you can just open you eyes and inspect the DS in every aspect and be at the very least find it comfortable for the most part.
Yeas the DS lite. Everyone marvels at its iPod/Mac book rip-off design and build quality. That is all that matters, the slick feel. No one mentions that it sucks for emus. Or that the tiny low-res screens can't display much more than a Speccy without cutting out half of the screen. I will take the rougher build of the GP2X to the weak CPU and cropped emulators of the DS.
Morpheus384:
I agree as well that the recent hype with new firmware for the PSP will most likely be short lived as Sony will most likely find an ingenious way to squash it yet again
And the hackers will again find a way to crack it, they always will. Besides if you already have a PSP capable of running homebrew it is not like Sony is going to bust into your house and force you to upgrade your firmware at gunpoint.

Epicenter:
No, people just have differences of opinion. Everyone who isn't crazy about the GP2X isn't a rabid PSP or DS fanboy. That's a very closed-minded point of view.
That is not the issue with you. It isn't about opinion. It ia about the fact that the only time you post is to post a long verbose variation of "the GP2X sucks". It is not as if you have one and are criticising so that things will be fixed. You just love bitching about it. There is no point. I may bitch about something but that is because I would like it fixed. You don't care, why not just move on? I just say if you don' have one, don't like it just leave. Of all devs that have left the scene I wish one of them was you.
Okay, I started one of the threads, 'Blasphemy... New Favourite = PSP'. It was true. For the first time in the history of my handhelds, the Sony thing was my favourite, but it didn't mean I would drop my black and white GPH babys!
Yeah but there have been no updates or fixes for MAME since you got the PSP, and the sample support is still rough. The fact is that the PSP has been a big hit to the GP2X dev scene.

Ok well although the gp2x has all the flaws you mentioned, it really doesn't bother me. The current bombardment of psp releases, the switching of some devs, gph's terrible support, lack of hardware and firmware fixes. In all I could and have lived with all that stuff.

The only thing that has bothered me recently is the slowdown of the gp2x releases.

NOTE: I know some of you might say "What are you talking about, a bunch of stuff has been released" , but I'm referring to programs that will really attract users and turn heads.

I'm an emulator and applications guy. Yea I play one or two homebrew games or ports here and there, but I really enjoy emulators and useful apps. What we lack right now is people willing to work on these emulators and apps and either start new ones or improve the ones that we have. Even the cps2 emulator wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the psp release. Right now I would atleast like to see the nes emulator fixed, an independent media player, maybe a pdf reader, a maping system to help me travel. Things like that. Maybe in the future someone talented and dedicated enough to stay with snes and gba and who knows maybe a ressurection from zodttd with a new super refined psx emulator.

Who knows but what we really need right now is dev support. Every system gets old if ppl don't have new programs to play with. Remember its the hard working community that makes the gp2x as special as it is, not its features.

The CpS2 emu is no where near as good as the PSP. On my system I can only go to 240 MHz and the games are a choppy mess. Can it be improved? Maybe but it has already been said to use DrZ80 and Cyclone so don't expect too much. For all we know the coder has abandoned it.

C'mon, seriously... it's a *test* release which has only been out a few days! How can you possibly say it won't get better and may be abandoned? It's already improved enormously in just a couple of days, between v1 and v3. And has been pointed out, it's running with 44khz sound. Dropping that to 16khz will speed it up 50%, which will be enough to kick it into true full speed.

GBA? well Zod went to the PSP. Since he got it no posts, no news. I guess he figures why work to improve an emu on the GP2X that already runs perfect on his PSP.

Zodttd has already stated his part of the work is done, he's now waiting for Exophase to work on the dynarec and other improvements -- and Exophase has been on vacation.

edit: wipeout2000, in case you missed a couple of releases, since Xmas we have had:

* gpu940/Egoboo
* CPS2 emulator
* Wonderswan emulator
* Watara Supervision emulator (this sounds pretty interesting)
and a ton of great homebrew. It's way more than I have time to even test, let alone play.

Telcolou said:
Oh, and I only read the first sentence of what appears to be another long diatribe about why the GP2X sucks. Don't you have important things to do with you life? All this seems counter-productive ..
You probably shouldn't reply to a topic if you haven't even read the original post.

Yes I should, if it's to point out something to you:

I read this part:

I'd like to set the record straight for WHY there has been so much growing dissent as of late on these forums in response to the topic 'What's up with you guys' that was just closed once the creator decided he was no longer fond of the responses he was getting.

I was 'setting the record straight' for you ... "He", meaning EvilDragon did not close the topic, WarmFluffyUK did, judging by her last post in said topic with the words "OK, CLOSED"

And yes, even I tire of reading the same things by you ... we're all very aware of your complaints, and I was just stating that perhaps these long posts might be counter-productive, seeing as you're trying to address a pack of rabid fanboys.

Go finish your excellent commercial-quality game on whichever platform is best for you. I may even buy it if it's good enough ...

edit: wipeout2000, since Xmas we have had:

* gpu940/Egoboo
* CPS2 emulator
* Wonderswan emulator
* Watara Supervision emulator
and a ton of great homebrew. It's way more than I have time to even test, let alone play.

You make a good point. I think however, a lot more people get excited about the emulators that emulate recent systems (eg. snes). I have to say though that the CPS2 emulator has definitely surprised me. I never expected something that good to come out so soon. It has resurfaced my belief that the gp2x has a lot of untapped power that only the right developers can exploit.

One thing everyone here is forgetting is the utter lack of maturity the PSP community presents.

I had just remembered how horrible the PSP community is. They whine about the smallest imperfections and bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch. I vaguely remember a few cases where coders simply quit because of too much drama.

Sure, there's drama right here, right now, but its nothing compared to the amount of Drama the PSP scene sees.

I think the dev's will come back when they are reminded of how bratty the PSP crowd is.

I think however, a lot more people get excited about the emulators that emulate recent systems (eg. snes).

Very true. It all seems to be about GBA & PSX these days.

I had just re-edited my post with an extra comment about the Watara emulator. This interests me more than the new systems, and I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get time (have downloaded the romset in anticipation). Check it out here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/sv.htm

Wonderswan will also be good to explore... and I still haven't gotten around to installing that new MSX emulator (one of my favourite systems, combining the best of the Spectrum, C64, CPC and NES all in one).

I think the dev's will come back when they are reminded of how bratty the PSP crowd is.

Heh, I remember Exophase saying he'd received more donations in a single day from the GP2X community than in 6 months from PSP peeps.

We're not doing so hot lately with these bitch-fests, but hopefully they're ignoring these.

The CpS2 emu is no where near as good as the PSP. On my system I can only go to 240 MHz and the games are a choppy mess. Can it be improved? Maybe but it has already been said to use DrZ80 and Cyclone so don't expect too much. For all we know the coder has abandoned it.

C'mon, seriously... it's a *test* release which has only been out a few days! How can you possibly say it won't get better and may be abandoned? It's already improved enormously in just a couple of days, between v1 and v3. And has been pointed out, it's running with 44khz sound. Dropping that to 16khz will speed it up 50%, which will be enough to kick it into true full speed.

GBA? well Zod went to the PSP. Since he got it no posts, no news. I guess he figures why work to improve an emu on the GP2X that already runs perfect on his PSP.

Zodttd has already stated his part of the work is done, he's now waiting for Exophase to work on the dynarec and other improvements -- and Exophase has been on vacation.

Yeah, most of the emus on the GP2X are "test" releases these days. They come out with a teaser. It is like OOhh look what it might be like if it was finished. Then poof never to be updated again leaving you with a choppy tech demo with shit sound. Now before you say it, yes i know thes are done for free in coders spare time and you can't demand things. I am just saying these days emus are not completed or updated like they are on the PSP.

Exophase was supposed to be back from vacation by now. His absense here can't be blamed on that. It is probably the PSX emu or something.
One thing everyone here is forgetting is the utter lack of maturity the PSP community presents.

I had just remembered how horrible the PSP community is. They whine about the smallest imperfections and bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch. I vaguely remember a few cases where coders simply quit because of too much drama.

Sure, there's drama right here, right now, but its nothing compared to the amount of Drama the PSP scene sees.

Yeah but i would rather have full speed SNES or GBA and a bratty immature crowd than an intelligent crowd and choppy unfinished emus :p

Note: NK is here. His is still the only GP2X SNES EMU that has full transparency support 'out of the box'.

</note>

Note: NK is here. His is still the only GP2X SNES EMU that has full transparency support 'out of the box'.

</note>

Yeah now only if my Gp2X would overclock to 700 MHz then it would be perfect ;)

As it is it is painfully slow.

Well, not so painfully ... my '2X can OC to 266, which is good for many games to run w/o frame skip and seemingly full speed. I just find it interesting that he shows up a lot without posting. I wonder what he's up to is all ...

I'm saving my responses for What's Up With You Guys? Mk3.

Reported.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back