When Will It Be Avaible

It's really a shame how much of the internet relies on flash, yet the flash spec was only very recently opened up. Flash will become even more ubiquitous, just as it is becoming obsolete at the hands of web 2.0 nonsense. iPhone web-apps, anyone? *shudder*

BigTruck said:
As someone on 64-bit linux, which there has long been no official flash player for, I tried swfdec and gnash and found that while for the most part they were okay with videos, most games didn't work. (Eventually I got the 32-bit official one working, in case anyone was curious.)
Yeah, nspluginwrapper works wonders when trying to get flash on a 64-bit system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah. People are assuming the USB HOST issues will take a while to sort out, despite statements from people in the know that they could be fixed long before the first 3000 are ready to be shipped.

Then again... maybe Craig's trying to tell us that the issue is already resolved? *cue wink of knowingness from Squidgie*

There is a news update to openpandora.org (I may soon have to file a lawsuit against the Pandora developers demanding a new F5 key, by the way). I did not want to make a new topic simply because the last "OH LOOK A BLOG UPDATE!" topic was so massively full of fail that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Here is the text of the news update.
So far this month the main news is that we have added the most requested feature which was not in the MK0 spec - Bluetooth.
This should mean accessing the internet on the Pandora via your phone is a whole lot easier now.
We will do a blog post with more detail on this and details of the preordering process soon.
I would assume this update will address the rumors about a delay.

babamthegrunt said:
Can an actual dev dispell this curse of doubt?
Apart from craigix's post above? Granted it's answering a question with a question, but we shouldn't be getting too greedy for info. It's all coming along, we just need to sit back and have a little faith.

craigix said:
Sorry, have I missed something? Where did these huge delay rumours come from?
Well, with MWeston was talking about all the hardware issues, coupled with the lack of many updates on the site, I guess it was only assumed that a delay of some sort was inevitable.

Gruso said:
babamthegrunt said:
Can an actual dev dispell this curse of doubt?
Apart from craigix's post above? Granted it's answering a question with a question, but we shouldn't be getting too greedy for info. It's all coming along, we just need to sit back and have a little faith.
Yeah well craigx's post didn't shed any light on this at all, which is annoying because he took the time to post and could just as easily have said something useful to clear this up. The optimistic date (June) has come and people are naturally going to start asking - that isn't greedy it is normal.

Patience is a virtue.
Sometimes people can't announce things until they are sure. Look at it like this: it sounds positive and he sounded puzzled about the talks of big delays. Let them do what they got to do and we will see the fruits of their labours all the sooner.

There are no big delays. This is why we often don't post things on the blog as we worry about how things might spread rumours. We will be making some 'final' pcbs soon and if these work then it is all systems go.

TaG said:
That is great news Craig. We'll all keep ourfingers crossed for y'all.
I'm not crossing my mouse fingers in case I need to click "buy" really quickly :)

craigix said:
There are no big delays. This is why we often don't post things on the blog as we worry about how things might spread rumours. We will be making some 'final' pcbs soon and if these work then it is all systems go.
I'm confused here. Does this mean that the MK0 units are nearly all systems go with a ship in a few weeks to devs and a few weeks later then the MK1's begin production with a ship date of maybe early August? No hurry. Take your time to fix the bugs Craig and the others. Just cutting through the vagueness is all.

craigix said:
Great news, hopefully all goes well! :D

I'm going on vacation the last week of August, and have a really long flight, so I'm just crossing my fingers that it'll be out by then.

It strikes me that this whole project is a bit like taking a bus-load of third graders on a class trip. Some of the kids sit patiently and wait to get to the destination, but others bounce from seat to seat and yell "Are we there yet!? Are we there yet!? When are we gonna get there!?" during the entire ride. The bus driver can't really give them a time, because god forbid they hit traffic - the little brats will just yell louder. All the driver can do is roll his eyes and hope the little buggers don't spill too much juice on the seats.

Back